1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

(a) I think Austin Reeves will get paid
    (b) I think he deserves to get paid
    (c) I think he is a nice player
    (d) I REALLY hope we aren't the team who pays him

Unless one is convinced that Reeves will be a lead star, we shouldn't be signing him.... he's a nice player, and I hope we manage to find a Reeves somewhere, but we need to be finding a "numero uno" first, and then fleshing out the roster after that.

2. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

@Mathloom I need to give you props for this post. I actually gave you a shout out 2 weeks ago during a live chat w/ Jackson.

Austin Reaves was a PG in college at Oklahoma and averaged almost 5 assists his last year. He played PG (NOT Russell) in the 4th quarter of his first playoffs game and DOMINATED.

Austin Reaves had a 68.7% true shooting percentage this year. That is ELITE. Post-all star break, he attempted 6.3 FTs per game. He has the making of a STAR. The complaint is small sample size, but if he does this for another year, someone may throw him a max contract. Therefore, if you want to gamble on a potential young star, you need to do it now.

Austin Reaves is an above average defender. This is demonstrated by optics, individual defensive stats, as well as aggregate defensive stats. At minimum, he is not a defensive liability.

If you want to bet on a player with potential, this is it. I'm sold. He was estimated to receive offers around $70 million over 4 years, but if he plays well in the playoffs, he may get $80-100 million on the market.

Remember, guys like Duncan Robinson and Joe Harris are making almost $20 million per year. D'Angelo Russell makes $30 million per year and I'm not sure he's better than Austin Reaves.

Y2JT, Arnel and Mathloom like this.
  3. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I rather pay Reaves 80M than Harden max money to basically mail it in and enjoy Houston.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I was already down for reaves over the other choices not named harden.
    If @Medicine N Music likes reaves, I'm pretty sold on signing him. He has yet to b wrong.

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Sign Reaves and Cam Johnson and let’s go!

Y2JT likes this.
  6. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Lakers scouting department is special

raining threes likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

For once, we disagree (Kinda) .... doesn't happen a whole lot.

I think this franchise should be assembling as much talent as it can, not just looking for a #1 and Reeves is a better player than anyone on this roster, even if he isn't a #1.

That doesn't mean I'd want to throw max money at him ... $33.5m is an overpay.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Never paid attention to this guy before, just looked at his Wikipedia page and realized he has a German passport...

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Thanks dude. I said earlier in the thread, if he shows out in the playoffs that's proof enough he's legit. So far so good.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He was helped today defensively by the fact that Jarred Vanderbilt basically kidnapped Ja Morant for most of the game. Reaves was golden Down the stretch but didn’t have to deal with the Grizzlies all star PG. Nice game by Hachimura, Vanderbilt & The big shot making of Reaves.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

2023 Jeremy Lin

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, heck. That makes all the difference!

;-)

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Reaves is why I don't care for the draft, he was completely undrafted....which shows these experts don't really know squat.

DD

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great game by your relative!

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much by his own choice though, I believe he told teams not to draft him so he could sign with lakers

17. Ancient Moabite

The league should go back to when those college players got selected by teams from college regions, which some say Auerbach was pushing Wilt to do so he would have first dibs on him but Wilt chose KU and not the regional choice Auerbach wanted

which would have been crazy with Wilt/Russell pairing

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

In a ReDraft he goes in the middle of the first round.....how does a guy with that talent get missed ????

DD

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with your premise, just saying he would have been drafted if he didn’t tell teams not
    To

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Thanks!!! It was awesome. It would have only been better if it were my Rockets!!!!

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.