1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Suburban Guerrilla] A Legal Myth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, May 11, 2005.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Republicans love theirs torts ...

A Legal Myth
    Here's the real scoop on that infamous McDonald's coffee case:

79-year-old Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico was in the passenger seat of her grandson's stopped car when she was severely burned by spilled McDonald's coffee. Stella suffered 3rd-degree burns over 6% of her body, including her inner thighs, genitals, and buttocks. She was hospitalized for eight days, undergoing skin grafts.

Stella, a Republican who had never filed a lawsuit in her life, didn't want to go to court. She offered to settle with McDonald's for the cost of her medical expenses, but the company refused - even after a mediator suggested they should settle. Once in court, it was revealed that McDonald's deliberately kept its coffee 20 degrees hotter than industry standards and was aware from 700 prior incidents that this practice could result in severe burns. The company decided not to reduce its temperature and not to warn its customers of any risk.

In the end, McDonald's behavior outraged jury members who were skeptical of the case. Even the judge - who reduced the jury verdict by more than 80% - called McDonald's conduct reckless, callous, and willful.

[Edit - %%*^ unicode code characters]

#1 No Worries, May 11, 2005
    Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

damn freedom-hater. How dare she sue an all-American company like Mcdonalds.

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

ok, I seriously doubt there is any correlation between political affiliation and the propensity to file lawsuits.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

NW --

you're right..that's the REST of the story...

the only part left out is that her damages were greatly reduced on appeal, if I remember correctly.

5. No Worries

Even the judge - who reduced the jury verdict by more than 80% - called McDonald's conduct reckless, callous, and willful.

6. MadMax

ahhh...was it the trial judge who did that??? or did it go up to an appellate court, and that's where damages were reduced??

7. No Worries

Can trial judges do that? Is it a state by state thing?

8. MadMax

in Texas they could enter a judgment notwithstanding the verdict that alters the jury's decision. i've never seen them do it with damages...but that's not to say it couldn't happen, I don't think.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

NW...what was the point in posting this? if it was a jab at repukes then i don't really get it because the article stated that she didn't want to take it to court and she just wanted her medical bills paid. did i miss something?

10. No Worries

Next political urban myth. Reagan had his Welfare Cadillacs. GWB has his tort reform.

11. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm somewhat leery of tort reform because the solution seems so obvious to me.

Juries are made up of average citizens so the power is already there within society to reduce massive punitive damage awards. This just seems to be government limiting the power of juries rather than leaving it up to them.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't practice civil trial law, so I am a little rusty on all this. Max...can't a Texas trial judge order remittitur?

13. MadMax

yes, but if he does, he has to clean it up. kidding

yes, the trial court can order it...and so can the appellate courts, if they feel the trial court should have suggested it.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Damn straight (except for the Repukes part)!

Did you notice: no celebrity lawyers, no activist actors, and no professional protestors...

She took legal recourse when all other attempts failed.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I've still got it. :)

16. MadMax

well, don't give it to me.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's an old school common law practice called remittur by which the judge can threaten to throw out the verdict in favor of a new trial or jnov or the plaintiff can accept a lowered amount - it's probably a state by state thing but I imagine most states have it, or at least had it at some point in some form. There's also another one called "additur" which is the opposite but IIRC that one is legally more controversial so it's not seen as much, I think.

18. No Worries

and became the poster child for tort reform.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

ironic...don't ya think?

20. No Worries

and my purpose for posting this thread.