1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strong-side Illegal D Rules?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jamcracker, Apr 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

I just caught PJ Carlissimo on the NBC halftime show. Ahmad asks PJ, "Whaddaya think about the new rule changes?"

(this is all paraphrased, obviously)

PJ: "I really like the new ideas, particularly the no illegal defense. Illegal defense is the reason we have all this isolation play. Why play 5-on-5 when you can play 1-on-1 or 2-on-2? Check out this clip:"

PJ puts up a clip of a right-side Mobley 2-shake ISO against the Heat. Mobley is isolated on his defender. Hardaway is standing just on the weak side, dead center of the key. Hardaway is clearly just itching to run at Mobley. Hardaway even keeps checking his feet to make sure he's staying on the weak side of the key.

PJ says: "See, the illegal Defense rule is keeping Hardaway from attacking Mobley. You can see Hardaway wants to double Mobley, but he can't because he'd be illegal".

Huh? Either PJ is an idiot or I can't understand the illegal D rules without the aid of bourbon.

I thought you could always doubleteam someone with the ball. Hardaway can leave the weak side to doubleteam the ball handler. And I keep hearing that the strong side illegal D rules were really relaxed this year. What gives?

The way I see it: Hardaway's man (can't remember which Rocket) was standing a few steps above the 3 pt line. Looks like Hardaway's man would be WIDE open for a 3 if Hardaway takes even a step or 2 closer to Mobley.

Anyway, the Heat like to bring a double team from the corner, to force the Rockets to throw a skip pass, or force the Rockets to pass around the horn - allowing the Heat to rotate back around. So the Heat don't want Hardaway to double Mobley anyway, right?

So what's PJ's complaint about the illegal D rule? Grrr. He's just whining about our boy Cat.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IT was a load of horse****
    NBC has to go along with
    whatever the NBA says

I mean honestly a Zone is horrible
    I call it the De-Athletisizing the NBA

SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME
    HOW CAN YOU HAVE A ZONE
    BUT HAVE A 3 SECOND RULE ON THE
    DEFENSE?

2-1-2 keeps someone in then lane
    it seems almost all the time.

Driving to the lane will be hazardous
    to your health when
    1. you running into a zone
    2. no so-called 'Touch Fouls'

Every Guard in the league will be
    Hacked to HEll

This will extend the careers of those
    who are not as athletic or injured

Rocket River
    HELL I COULD PLAY IN A ZONE .
    SHOT OVER THE TOP ON ONE IN . .
    and RUN 40 FEET TO PLAY THE
    Point at the top of the key

------------------

3. Hydra

Hydra Member

In the land of zone defenses, Air Bullard is king.

------------------
    "We messed with the Bull, and we got the horns." -- Larry Brown "quote" from AirBullard.com

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bullard is still Bullard.

In the land of zone defenses, Shawn Bradley is king. Do we really want that?!