1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Strained Relations in the US, and Suggestion for How to React

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think there's some great ideas in there, although it's mostly a criticism of Liberals. But probably more constructive than what you would usually read these days.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When I stopped listening to country music, my appreciation for southern white people increased 5 fold...

I read all of his fluff, but he doesn't strike at the root of the problem.

We have the information at our fingertips or even on TV (public broadcasting).

Most of us just don't care or need simplistic Black or White/Right or Wrong gimmicks to feel engaged.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How can you escape black/white politics when the political parties are maintaining a black/white policy? So if you don't want to be part of black/white politics, then you must be out of the picture, right?

Ofcourse we say black/white, but to the rest of the world it's undeniably grey/grey. Obama and Bush policies, for example, can not be differentiated to an Afghan or Iraqi, though it may make a difference to an American in the US. This is ostensibly a common problem for all countries, but seems especially extreme in the case of the US. It is reminiscent of Extremist religious scholars who agree on the wife-beating, violence and aggression but they still form various "schools of thought" based on arbitrary things such as "how long should a beard be" or "how many non-prayer movements nullify your prayer". This focuses the constituents on arbitrary stuff, while relaxing them on major issues simply by giving the appearance that certain things are agreed and can't be questioned, while other things can't. In this analogy, the politicians have you focusing on things that can only be described as major passive failures such as healthcare, pension, etc. No one really believes the government of the US is sophisticated enough in one arm to achieve drones and space weapons but on another arm cannot come up with even an average healthcare system at average prices. These issues tend to dominate the media while drowning out things like major reforms in the media, reforming campaign donations, reconsidering overseas military actions, discussing viable alternative parties with the ASSISTANCE of existing government, etc. As I said, healthcare is important, but with certain things like healthcare and public transport, you have to wonder what plausible rationale there is for these things still being a mess? Are there are any viable excuses that can explain the duration of the failure?

I think the article is a great example of how to exit the bickering and enter real dialogue. Proactive dialogue with constructive feedback. Less reactionary politics. These are all idealistic goals, but we have experienced that things have been and can be better than the current state of affairs, so it's worth at least trying to recoup some of those things. Maybe on a personal level, just on this board even, we need to take a look at ourselves and attempt to be more constructive, regardless of how constructive we thing we currently are.

#3 Mathloom, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The United States are a democracy. The United Arab Emirates are a dictatorship. Mathloom works for a dictatorship. Yet, he sits there, posting from the barber shop and in sandals, in between reading and spreading Islamist propaganda, and keeps pointing fingers at the United States as if the United States were evil.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yeah he posted that from the Mullah Section of the NY Times.

2 people like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL good point, obviously referring to the context of his anti-US propaganda, and the title he chose for this thread.

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

does it follow that if I were to start listening to hiphop, my appreciation for the urban underclass would increase?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the issue is that most people don't think critically.....in the entire world. It's just not the way humans operate.

The real question isn't about liberalism versus conservatism, its about where power will sit. It is democracy itself as an institution as it coexists with greed. Democracy & capitalism have had a great run. But I sense we are facing an interesting point in time. Where we are transition from a democracy into a mercantilism system.

With corporate influence at an all time high, and the ability now for a company to buy elections through political ads - power has shifted from people to companies. Media companies, big corporations, pharma, etc - now are effectively able to heavily influence state, local, and national politics to a point where they can determine policy. They can do it through lobbying, TV ads, and through the media.

The ideas of a free press were built upon the idea that access to people wasn't really that hard. Today, it's pretty expensive to reach a million people. So free idea exchange only happens for those who seek it out.

It will be interesting to see how the next elections go. I am thinking corporate influence will increase substantially going forward, and i wonder at what point people will begin to realize they have been duped pretty badly.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think it would, actually...a bit, perhaps.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He hates the USA, the next time he criticisizes his regime will be the first.

DD

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why worry about his feelings towards the U.S.? Does that necessarily immediately invalidate what he has to say?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It does not necessarily invalidate everything he has to say, but it certainly puts it into a certain context.

We know he is a fanatical Islam proponent (to put it mildly), works for a dictatorship in the Muslim/Arab world and hates the USA. We also know that he lied to all of us about whether he is a Muslim or not (I have no idea why he felt the need to do that, because there is nothing wrong with being a Muslim - apparently, he wanted to deceive us about how biased he is).

Knowing that, and his history of pro-Islamist and anti-USA posts in this forum, clearly puts it into perspective when he suddenly goes all melodramatic and concerned about the loss of lives - when we are talking about Islamist terrorists' lives, whereas he wanted an old man to live in fear for the rest of his life - because of a supposedly anti-Islamic cartoon, and whereas he doesn't seem very concerned about the victims of Islamist violence around the world, every week and every day.

1 person likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It sure has a certain bias and a lack of knowledge behind it, and it is clearly agenda driven.

Personally, I hope the UAE falls on it's ass in the Arab spring......people should be free, not ruled by any religious edict, or dictatorship.

DD

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ok, this was said much better than my post.

Hear hear my good man !

DD

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What a simpleton you are in your hatred of Muslims.

You need to reflect on how your grandparents's generation supported the Nazis, exterminated millions of Jews and how it all started with the level of ethnocentricism like you exhibit daily on this forum.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What a ridiculous and inflammatory post.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its not as inflammatory as the anti-Muslim rhetoric ATW puts out everyday.
    Glynch is right, the ethnocentrism displayed in ATW's posts is alarming and outdated.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

ATW may have a hatred for Muslims. What did he say in his post about Mathloom that displays the type of ethnocentrism that led to the Nazi acts of genocide? Please, quote the same post that glynch did and bold the part for me that is reminiscent of the Nazis.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

My grandparents on my father's side exterminated nobody. My grandfather was an English teacher, neither active in the military (other than as a teacher) nor in any Nazi organization, who listened to BBC although it was sanctioned with the death penalty to do that.

My grandparents on my mother's side were victims of oppression by the Japanese, however, who murdered many people in Korea.

You can't really play the "you are an Aryan racist" card on me. I have a dual cultural and racial background and have lived in several countries around the world, and traveled many. I have seen enough to recognize a repressive, backwards-oriented ideology. Nazism was and is one. Islamism is one. I am speaking up against a repressive ideology that has manifested itself in terror attacks, oppression, violence and unrest. That is the opposite of ethnocentrism. Speaking up against a repressive ideology does not equal hatred for Muslims - anyone who actually believes that is a simpleton.

You need to reflect on making unsubstantiated statements, based on your irrational hate against anything not leftist as well as against Israel and Jews.

Oh, and RedRedemption: You need to grow up before you should open your mouth like that. You know nothing.