1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Steve + Trade Exception Gets You Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corby, Jan 24, 2004.

1. corby

corby Contributing Member

Assuming Kobe doesn't decide to resign with the Lakers, this deal is ours to make. Here's why:

Phoenix, Denver, and Utah (am I missing anyone?) will all be $10 million or more under the salary cap this year. This means that if Kobe decides to leave, he can make a credible threat to sign a free agent contract outright, and leave the Lakers, with the Lakers getting nothing in return.

If Kobe makes it clear he is serious about leaving the Lakers, the Lakers will agree to play sign-and-trade, because they can't afford to let their only young superstar leave for nothing, and play the Olajuwon-Drexler-Barkley game.

Why Houston is attractive to Kobe:
    Phoenix and Utah are rebuilding, and not great places for Kobe to start winning rings out of the chute. The Nuggets would probably be a great fit for Kobe, but Denver is not exactly the most... hospitable community for him right now.

Houston surrounds Kobe with talented players, a very good coach, and Yao Ming. Yao Ming is the Shaq that Kobe always wanted. The big man that will average 20, 10, and 3, and then apologize after the game to Lord Kobe for taking too many shots.

And Houston can meet Kobe's considerable financial needs. By trading Steve Francis, the full trade exception, and 15% allowance, the Rockets can offer Kobe the maximum allowable contract (and then some) under the CBA. No other team can do that in a deal that would be acceptable to the Lakers (see below).

Why Houston is attractive to the Lakers:
    Houston can offer Steve Francis and a trade exception. Other teams can offer all-stars of Stevie's caliber, but they have to throw in overpriced garbage contracts to make the numbers match (think Paul Pierce + Vin Baker). The only exception I can think of is that a KG / Kobe deal would probably work straight up, but the Lakers aren't getting KG for Kobe. Sacramento could probably put together a package of good players that are worth their contracts, but LA isn't sending Kobe to Sacramento or San Antonio.

With the Houston deal, the Lakers get a young superstar they can rebuild around, no garbage, and CUT salary in the process. And yes, GP and Stevie can play in the backcourt together for one year.

So, we can offer the best deal for Kobe, the only question left is whether to do it. I am a big Steve Francis fan, but even I have to admit that Kobe represents an upgrade in talent for our team. If the luxury tax is indeed going away, then Kobe's drawing power can very likely justify his large salary to Les Alexander. Clearly, the largest risk in the whole deal would be if it turned out that Kobe actually did engage in violent criminal behavior. But if it seems likely that he did not (and we will probably know more about the situation by this summer), this seems like a no-lose deal for the Rockets.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

How is going to play if he is in a Colorado prison? What do we do for a point guard? Where do we put the extra starting shooting guard (Mobley)? Why does Bare Bryant want to play second fiddle to Shaq II (Yao)? Why do the Rockets break up their "chemistry?" Etc. etc. etc.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

The Lakers have already stated they will not trade Kobe. I think they are going to play hardball on that point. That means Kobe has only 2 or 3 teams to choose from or he'll have to accept less money. If he doesn't want to share with Shaq, what makes you think he'll share with Yao? And he still won't be the most popular player on his team with Yao in town.

4. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

He won't be, anyone who doesn't see that is blind. Money talks and he's a celeb, any way you do the math he walks.

We start anyone with a pulse that can play solid D. Kobe's gonna handle the rock most of the time anyway.

Coming off the bench.

Because yao isn't ShaqII, he's Yao I. He's never gonna be Shaq but he'll play great with Kobe. Kobe will be the man here, no doubt in my mind about that.

You're talking about getting arguably a top 3 player here, **** chemestry.

Of course all this is moot, because it's not gonna happen.

5. Yun

Yun Member

NO THANKS!

6. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

man...

we are just now getting these guys to play team ball...

you want to start that process all over again?!?

7. bongman

bongman Member

who do we play at point?

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It wouldn't work for a number of reasons.

One Kobe is going to stick with the Lakers if he's smart, but if he does decide to go elsewhere it'll be where he can be the man. That won't happen if he stays with the Rockets.

Two Kobe as talented as he is, has had two shoulder injuries since last season, and a whole lot of baggage with the rape trial. I understand baseball and basketball are two entirely different sports, but as a pitcher when my shoulder was really in pain, I know it hindered how I'd perform. I can only imagine what it'd be like in basketball. Plus shoulder injuries never really go away. They just tend to linger on.

Three, the more I think about it, the more I realize how lucky we are to have Steve on this team. Look at the enormous ego of a guy like Kobe. He struggles now defering to a guy like Shaq who during their championship run was the main sole reason for their titles. Shaq even now is still the man next to Kobe, and if the Lakers win will be the biggest reason they do win a title. Atleast Steve is willing to defer to his teammates not because it's his job as a PG, but because he's gradually putting his ego aside and not letting himself get baited into the media who loves to stir **** up. Also Francis aside from the ear trouble has yet to have a major injury that's kept him out of the season unlike Kobe who's going on two in the past two seasons.

It's the same reason I can't get over the guys that still bark about taking Amare over Yao. You don't hear it as much now obviously but Amare's been a basketcase full of injuries in his short career. It'd suck to think any injury would shorten a persons career, but longevity wise, I'll always go with the healthy star that can play for an 82 game span. Yao's body is built for the longrun, and his game is prime for it. He doesn't have a high vertical so it's not like he's as likely to turn an ankle if he lands on someones foot in the paint going up for a rebound or a dunk. His legs are so enormous it's not like that base of his will cause him any troubles. I've seen Yao take beatings where I swear it looked like he was getting clotheslined down on the floor, or getting jumped on after falling hard on the floor. Wincing a little, but getting right back up and playing through it. The man as much as he gets criticized for playing weak so far has proven to be tough as nails. And now it seems he's finally starting to dish out the exact punishment and dropping F bombs. I hope to God this is just a glimpse of him coming out of his shell and playing like an agressive " I don't take **** from anyone" kind of player.

But back to Kobe. statistically I guess you'd have to take the trade, but I'd be reluctant to do so for the reasons mentioned above. Kobe's going to have recurring shoulder troubles for the rest of his career I can guarantee you that. Again baseball is a different sport, but look how much it affected Bagwell's throwing arm after coming off shoulder surgery. It looks like he's playing soft toss now.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

We whine about the Rockets not getting enough media attention, but some kinds we can do without. I'm not a Kobe fan, and him being a Rocket couldn't change that.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No thanks. After years of being in the Lottery and with no playoffs. I am tired of the rebuilding process. We have a good core of players, and they are starting to play great ball.

11. fya

fya Member

No thanks, we don't need any more criminals.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Your points are valid, well taken, and, in the least, a possibility.

Kobe took #8 as a tribute to Phoenix' coach, and they will have the money to be a player in the Kobe sweepstakes.

Kobe and The Logo are supposed to be very close. never bet against West.

Regrettably, I do not see Houston as a priority for Kobe.

If Bryant did want the Suns then a deal for Nachbar (also a D'antoni man) and the TE for Marion means he stiffs the lakers big time.

The TE will be a tool for the Rox to move up in class next year. If used. If used well.

It will need to be when every single West team looks like a beast next season. Maybe the conferences need to be North and South?

13. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Kobe is a better PG than Steve is, sadly.

14. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

I never thought I'd see the day where it was considered "rebuilding" when you trade a wannabe superstar for one of the top 5 players in the league.

The thing is that I don't think Kobe would want to come here. His whole point of leaving LA is to not have to play with a big man that he'd have to defer to. Last time I checked, we had the 2nd best center in the NBA, after Shaq, in Yao. Therefore that indirectly makes us the last team Kobe would want to go to...

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No thanks. We finally convinced Steve to give Yao the ball. But I don't think we will convince Kobe.

16. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

ESPN stated that's a myth. I know they're not the be-all-end-all of truth, but... the D'Antoni stuff is supposedly just a leak to entice other teams to show Kobe the money.

Again, news groups state the Lakers front office will not deal with Jerry West when it comes to a blockbuster deal. Jerry Buss could override, but that's supposedly not likely.

As for the trade idea itself. Kobe wants to be THE man on his own team, doesn't he? Why would he come to a place where he knows another big man is waiting? While the duo would be awesome, I don't think he'd like the idea of playing with a guy who has a huge legion of fans already.

All opinions, though... it's an interesting thought.

17. haven

haven Member

While I'm neutral on the idea, overall...

...that just isn't a realistic possibility.

People mention the money issue... but if he were anybody other than Kobe, I don't think this would have gone to trial. The prosecutor is trying to make a name for himself. His case is raw sewage.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

One other point: Kobe now needs money. His "wife" and the legal eagles have and will continue to drain him, and he has lost his biggest endorsements. He will go for the biggest bucks to replenish his estate. He probably won't let himself get caught with his pants down again. :rolleyes:

19. uac

uac Contributing Member

20. Just B

Just B Member

Like a few other people have said...
    You people complain enough about Steve being selfish and arrogant (which I don't agree with) yet you'd trade him for Kobe?

Last time I checked Kobe has feuded with Shaq several times over "whose city it is", and he's about 1,000 times more selfish than Franchise. I haven't seen Kobe do anything on his own that Francis isn't capable of doing too.

Let's try to make some sense here people.