1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve = Oil, Ming = Water

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 23, 2004.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oil and Water don't mix, and it is getting clearer and clearer by the day that the team is suffering from an identity crisis.

Is it a free wheeling playground style of game that Francis thrives in? Or is it an inside out style of game that Yao works best with?

It is clear to me that the Rocks need to pick one of them and trade the other.

They just don't mix, and as long as the zone defense is legal in the NBA in my mind it is just as clear that the one to go should be Steve.

I just don't think he has the ability to play the PG or the SG in an inside out offense, he has to have the ball in his hands so he can create off the dribble, and that is not what is going to happen.

If I was a betting man...and I am.. :) I say Steve goes this summer.

Just look at all the acquisitions we have been getting...are they playground types, or system types.

Pike, JJ, Spoon.....

The writing is on the wall.

DD

2. AB12

AB12 Member

Is Ray Allen and/or Lewis a possibility??

3. ayears

ayears Member

Don't draw your conclusion so quickly!

Give Stevie more time to adjust...to adapt... He need time!You need more patience.

Even if he would never become a true PG... well, how about move him to 2--not a bad choice,I think.:)

4. pasox2

pasox2 Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking about this this morning. We have to use them both for the rest of the season. We want Steve to look good for trade value, if nothing else. We want to win games.

They don't team up very well, so run them on opposite sides of the court.

Yao should operate out of the R high post. He's deadly there. He can see the whole court.

Steve should operate iso or two-man game with Cato or Taylor on the Left free throw line extended.

Cat and JJ make a triangle with Yao. JJ directs the ball to Steve or Yao depending on coverage. Cat delivers the ball to JJ and cuts backdoor or through the seam, or faints and drifts for the jumper.

This way, they can both play their games, with plenty of room to operate.

-----------------

Next year, I'd prefer a big passing three to rebound and distribute the ball and a dead eye shooter. Good luck elsewhere, Steve. Until then, let's give him room to shake and do his thing.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

They have been playing much better as of late and they have been playing well TOGETHER ... SF just had a bad game last night and had nothing to do with playing with Yao ... He certainly didnt play much better when Yao was out.

The Rox are 1 game out of the 6th spot in the West and I think most everone here would have said that the 6th spot would have been a successful season at the beginning of this year. Neither Steve or Yao need to go.

6. A-Train

A-Train Member

....and the record keeps on skipping...I never thought I'd say this to a veteran poster, but PLEASE STFU about trading Steve...AT LEAST until the season is over. The best thing about victories USED to be one less day of DaDakota whining like a little girl about Steve, but I guess even that is too much to ask..

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

Can Steve at least get some props for dishing 9 assists against (2)! turnovers and hitting a game saving 3 and grabbing a game-saving rebound? The guy has a ton of heart and I think he deserves a little more time to see how he can adapt his game best to our new coach and focus.

Talents like Steve do NOT grow on trees and unless you can get me a decent point and a PF on the level of Brand for him on the market, I think we would regret it.

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

i think its more complicated than you make it, sometimes they work together quite well. Although I don't think that steve is the perfect complement to yao, few would think that kobe is a perfect complement to shaq, yet they succeed. im not going to equate yao and steve to the fakers, but, I dunno, something about a college education makes me see things a little beyond black and white.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

A-Train,

This is not whining, and I am not criticizing, I am just saying I don't think the two mix.

And I will take the guy shooting 54% over the guy shooting 40%.

I just think Steve has begun his slide in play, and will never reach his potential as long as he is on a team dominated by a big man.

He needs the lane to be clear to be successful and Yao is a low post player.

DD

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I TOTALLY agree that he has MAJOR heart, and has guts galore.

MY point is that Yao and Steve do not mix so well on the court....but Mobley and Yao work fine.

DD

11. Willis25

Willis25 Member

when they played together at the All Star game and then hugged after the win last night, they sure seem to like each other. Francis also had NINE ASSISTS. What is wrong with a PG that has 16 pts, 9 assists !??! - a SF that has 17 points and FIVE 3's and a SG that goes over 20 pts.

Ming got 41 last night - other than some bad shots by Francis, they all played their roles perfect last night.

What did you want them to do about Bobby Sura and Jason Terry hitting all those paryers

12. win2k

win2k Member

Why not give SF sometime to change his style. It is not easy
    to anyone.

13. win2k

win2k Member

Agree!

14. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Member

Agreed.. SF played his role fine last night..

SF had 16 pts/ 8 rebs/ 9 assists / only 2 TO's.. what else do we want from him? 9 assists man.. hes our PG thats his main job I think the scoring is a bonus.

J

he had a poor shooting night but made some clutch shots. Other than that he did everything we expected.

15. dreday

dreday Member

I'm glad someone can see that other than a bad shooting night Steve had a pretty good game. You would think that we lose the way everyone is whining...

16. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

well... beside the clutch 3, steve was 1-10 on threes...

if you just want him to be a PG, and make scoring a bonus, and his scoring is sure the premium these days, then we need to ask ourselves if we need a max contract point guard to get you 7 assists a night. i'm pretty sure you can get one for less. seriously, i think the inside out game is the way to go. EVEN IF steve is able to adapt to his role... and averages 7+ assists a game, his scoring won't be 20+ because he can't catch and shoot, and if he's not going to be a scoring threat, then why not just get a point guard to can get 7 assists for half the pay?

somebody said this before, I think steve deserves to be carrying an eastern conference team. utility is maximized that way.

17. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

DaDakota... I got your back on this man... I've felt the same all along. I was just against trading him before the deadline because we need a really good player in return.

18. buddry

buddry Member

You just described Jason Kidd and he is a max player.

19. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

not really, jason kidd is 9+. but you're right i don't think francis is as good as jason kidd, but nobody is disputing that. i was thinking more eric snow.

20. nene

nene Member

This may be my favorite post of the last 6 months.