1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stein: Rockets offering anyone in bottom third to free up spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 24, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not another Smith thread....Any surprises here? Many of us thought it would only come down to Black or Dorsey. What does this say about the value these guys have?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets are making the rounds on Christmas Eve, offering up anyone in the bottom third of their roster via trade to make room for Josh Smith</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/547965684115079169">December 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Who is Isaac Canaan?

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Not surprised seeing Canaan there.

dude has fallen to like the 4th PG on depth chart

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Casspi's cousin. Oy vey he's for trade!

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It makes no sense, he was just an all-star a couple of weeks ago.

6. baubo

baubo Member

It says Mark Stein just received marching orders from Cuban to make the Rockets look bad.

If the Rockets truly offered Capella for nothing, you actually believe there's enough time for Mark Stein to tweet about it before another GM says yes to the proposal?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Trading Canaan for, say, a future 2nd, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

8. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Cannan should not be let go! He's a star in be making! So much potential, letting him go would be a big mistake! I wish he never got injured!

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Yes, it would.

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't see Morey moving Canaan, Johnson or Capela unless they get an offer they can't pass up, a first round pick. They won't get those types of offers so they won't be let go.

It's between Dorsey and Black. Would love to trade away Dorsey's guaranteed contract but if nothing is available, Black might be the solution. Even though I think they would love to have Black grow in Rio but he has a non guaranteed contract.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If that's true, then I'd love for Morey to call him out on Twitter.

12. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets are NOT desperate for a trade &amp; don't need to use picks to dump salary. Again, cutting Black only counts ~$175k against cap.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/547971604076969984">December 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Worse than Ebola?

1 person likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Rockets are just doing due diligence. Doesn't hurt to check whether they can get even a little bit of value from a trade and decide whether one or more of the available trades would be preferable than just cutting Tarik Black (or whoever).

Also, not only does Black only count as $175K, I also suspect that, if cut, he's probably gonna get claimed off waivers, which gets the Rockets off the hook for even that $175K as far as I know, given how small his contract is and the fact that he can actually play some.

15. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

2 people like this.
  16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

who was pushing canaan ? basketballhollic stating that he was the next big thing? ha ha

canaan is def gone come February.

17. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Morey to every GM in the league: "will you trade me a 1st round pick for Canaan, Johnson, or Capela? If not, will you trade me a 2nd round pick for Black or Dorsey?"

If he gets 30 "no's" then he'll just cut Black.

Media interpretation: Morey is treating the bottom half of the roster like assets and not people

18. clutz

clutz Member

Media: Cold, calculating Morey doesn't care about chemistry -- or Christmas.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mattician

Mattician Member

I would like to keep Canaan, Johnson, and Capela.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member