1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stats don't lie - Yao's stats after ASG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Mar 14, 2006.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao averages 28.3 ppg/12.7 rpg while shooting 53% from the floor.

And he is:

#1 in efficiency
    #1 in efficiency in 48 min

#7 in scoring
    #3 in rebounding
    #6 in blocks
    #6 in FT attempts

#2 in double doubles
    #16 in field goal percentage

among all league players

http://www.nba.com/statistics/playe...&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=Post AllStar

He is in top 8 of nearly all important categories. His TO and fouls are way down. He deserves better than the crap Rosen et al. throws at him, to say the least.

If Yao can play like this the rest of the season, he will undoubtedly be the best post player in the league. Les needs to open up his wallet to get us a pure shooter in order for us not to waste Yao's prime in the next 4-5 years.

2. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Woah, Yao could break the 30pts average post allstars if he keep playing like this... would 24pts season average be achievable?

I guess since Rockets are unlikely to make the playoffs now, this is something to look forward to as a glimpse for more to come next season.

-G'day-

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The way Yao has been playing, if he was surrounded by some effective players, not stars, just decent role players, Rockets would have made the playoffs.

It's just that he is surrounded by a bunch of brainless girls.

Other than Tmac and Yao, there is not a single player on the roster, I would even blink at cutting.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

you know what
    I hope every GM in the league reads Rosen's stuff and beleives
    it
    I hope eveyone in the league thinks YAO is Shawn BRadley
    because
    beleive you me. . .
    Folx will be on their knees begging for him to come to there team
    if he becomes a free agent. .
    They will be fighting severely to the chance to get to the bargaining table
    for yao

So all the other stuff. . is crap . .those who know . .. know

Rocket River

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Whats more impressive about Yao's #s is that teams defensive game plans are focused on stopping him and T-Mac isn't there to take some of the defensive pressure off of him. If this team could shoot, I can't imagine what he would be doing if opposing teams couldn't send double and triple teams at him.

6. fa7999

fa7999 Member

What's so great about this Yao is consistency while being the #1 option, or the only option for the Rockets's predictable offense. He is doing this against constant double/triple teaming.

We knew that Yao could do this when he became the only current player that constantly outplayed Shaq when he was a sophomore. However, he had trouble dealing with 3rd or 4th rate centers in the league who had no business guarding him down low. Now his is basically murdering them night in and night out.

Take last night's game for example. Collins was one of those guys who gave Yao lots of trouble down low in the past and guess what he got last night? 0 points 6 fouls in 22 minutes. Kristic, a decent jump shooting center who was supposed to give Yao some trouble because of his outside game, score a total of 7 points and committed 5 fouls against Yao.

I always believe that the day arrives when Yao dominates inferior centers on a daily basis, the game will be over for the league.

7. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

I am curious, given the way Phonix plays, will they take Yao if available????

8. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Why not? Nash, Bell, Barbosa, Marion, to name few, can make guarded 3s on a frequent basis. Ask them to shoot 3s with defenders within their sight? They can probably make over 60% of those 3s in most of the games.

Replace Yao with Amare and the Suns should be the favorite to destroy the league for the next 5-6 years with or without Nash.

9. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Should be "out of their sight".

10. thiagu88

thiagu88 Contributing Member

amen to that

11. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Now that the day has arrived, can we go to the playoff now? It just shows that basketball is a team sports. I bet even dream cannot carry the current team into success.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Check out his numbers for the month of March, they're impressive enough for a Player of the Month award in any sane universe:

29.1 PPG
    11.0 RPG
    2.7 BPG
    .522 FG%
    .873 FT%

:eek:

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

He is obviously the third or 4th or 5th best center in the league! :D

14. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

That FT% is insane... remember this guy is going to the line around 10 times a game in March and is 7-6.

Stuart

15. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

What about Rafer? I think he is a great catalyst for our offense. He can play both uptempo and slowdown, and he has a very effective pass-first mentality that a team with two superstars desperately needs.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If you want some good regular season wins, Rafer is ok as a starting PG. But if you are looking to build a championship team, Rafer is not going work out. In that case he would be a very good backup PG.

Breakdown for Rafer.....

Strengths

1) Good ball handler
    2) Most of the time looks for Yao
    3) Decent at entry passes
    4) Tries to push the tempo
    5) Decent at getting a jumpshot for himself off of pick and roll.

Weaknesses

1) Mentally weak, loses focus at critical moments.
    2) Physically weak, gets posted up.
    3) Really really bad defender. Everyone he goes up against seems to light him up.
    4) On occassion seems to shift away from flow of the game.
    5) Makes poor decisions in end/tight game situations
    6) Very inconsistent from outside, which is the premium anti-catalyst property to have while playing with Yao/Tmac tandem.
    7) When them game is close and pressure is on, he seems to go away from looking for Yao. Again, being mentally weak, would be the reason.

IMO, his weaknesses outweight his qualities.

As I said, great backup guard. Below average starter for a contending team.

17. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Good post. That's exactly what I think too. He just isn't starting quality on a team that wants to contend for a title. However he could still improve, and therefore becoming a legit starting pg for this team who wants to make the playoffs/finals.

18. user

user Member

With 2 max player on this team, which playoff contend starting PG do you think the team can attracked? Alstron is good enough. We just need a 2 who can shoot the light out and won't hurt too often.

When Wesly was healthy and Yao and Tmac playing, the team was winning a lot of game with Alstron playing 40+ minutes regularly.