1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

State of the Cap: Houston Rockets (NBA Draft.net)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lost_elephant, May 11, 2006.

1. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

http://nbadraft.net/2006stateofthecaphouston001.asp

By Josh Redetzke
    redball77@yahoo.com
    5/11/06

2006/07 Houston Rockets Payroll: $54.5 million
    2006/07 Estimated NBA Salary Cap: $52 million
    Roughly: $2.5 million over cap

The Good: Despite being one of the many injured Rockets, Yao Ming's progress took a step forward this season. His points (22.3), rebounds (10.2), and free throw shooting (85%) were all career highs. That is a good sign for the Rockets since Yao is about to begin his five-year, $72 million dollar contract extension. If Yao can recover from foot surgery, he should be one of the top five centers in the league for many years. All the Rockets have to do now is build a team around him.

One of those players is Rafer Alston. He isn't exactly the point guard of the future for this team, but he does give good value for his contract. Alston missed 19 games because of injury and shot the ball very poorly, but he did lead the team in assists with 6.8 per game and was third in scoring. What makes him such a great value is that he has four years left on his contract at an average of less than $5 million each. If Alston can improve his shooting, he can definitely help this team win.

Clarence Weatherspoon, David Wesley, and Vin Baker all come off the salary cap this summer, which saves Houston about $15 million in cap space.

The Bad: What do the Rockets do with Tracy McGrady? The talented scorer played just 47 games due to back problems (never a good sign) and when he did play, he shot a career worst 40% from the field. McGrady's scoring, three-point shooting, and assists were all down compared to recent years. With four years and over $80 million remaining on his contract, the Rockets should be very worried. Without McGrady playing at a high level, it will be nearly impossible for the team to succeed and his injuries and contract make him nearly untradable. Houston can only hope that the time off helped their superstar to heal.

There was a lot of excitement when the Rockets signed Stromile Swift. They thought he would be an athletic presence at forward to compliment Yao. Swift is owed $5.4 and $5.8 million the next two years (with a player option for a third year at $6.2 million). While that isn't a huge contract, the team still expected more than 8.9 points and 4.4 rebounds per game.

The Future: Because of all the injuries to their star players, the season was a forgettable one in Houston. Even if they can get Yao and McGrady back to full strength next year, their supporting cast needs a lot of work. Rafer Alston is a decent point guard, and Juwan Howard is a decent power forward, but the Rockets need more out of the rest of the team. Rookie Luther Head had some good games, though he needs to work on that 40% shooting. David Wesley and Derek Anderson are veterans, but they also shoot poorly and don't appear to have much left in the tank. Houston needs to gather a new cast of role players with no cap room to spare.

One way they will add some talent is with the 8th pick in the upcoming draft. An upgrade to pretty much any position will do them some good. A point guard prospect for the future, a young, active power forward, or a versatile swingman could all help this team. A trade or mid-level exception is always in the mix as well, though they don't have any expiring contracts to use as bait in a trade. However they do it, Ming and McGrady need help and they need it now.

Bonus Points… for locking up Yao Ming long-term. The Chinese center is the future of this team. Whether Tracy McGrady is, or should be, part of that future remains to be seen.

Grade: C-

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Reasons #1768 why nbadraft.net's analysis is worthless:

"David Wesley and Derek Anderson are veterans, but they also shoot poorly and don't appear to have much left in the tank"

yeah getting rid of Derek Anderson should be a high priority this offseason.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I caught that too. It's pretty sad. I mean, for cryin' out loud, Derek Anderson is playing in the play-offs now! Don't they even watch play-off basketball?!?!

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Well DA is still on our books which is why they probably make the misake. Other than that, it was a decent assessment. A little gloomy about TMac's situation but I'm pretty sure the front office is damn worried about him. Another season of back probs and the team is in BIG trouble ...another Grant Hill.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think they exxagerate the McGrady problem. He has a problem with his back, but he's not in the Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway camp yet.

6. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

Anderson is pretty good, but he is not on our team anymore :eek:

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No wonder he wasn't hitting any shots for us toward the end of the season!

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

not trying to be too picky but i love how they just say yao is a top 5 center. just start saying he is the best center in the league you freaking wimp writers.

9. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Plese name 4 other centers that are better than Yao in the league right now.

10. compucomp

compucomp Member

He was a top 5 center the moment he stepped foot in the USA. He's the best center in the league, but I guess these writers can't bring themselves to say that a Chinese man is the best center in the NBA, when Chinese are stereotyped to be weak.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The worst thing about saying Yao is going to be a top 5 center for years to come is that (if he continues playing as he did in the last half of the season) Yao is going to be a top five PLAYER for years to come. And that's just if he continues playing as he played in the second half of the season - he could get better still. How scary is that for the rest of the league?

12. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

And, you are privy to this information how?

Even if he was healthy and I hope he is, he is worth more in trade for some support for the team than he is playing for us.

TMac is a great player/scorer, but he is no leader as he has prooved here and in Olando. He would be better off on a team that already has a floor leader, and we would be better off without his cap hit. We could pick up some really some good players for him if he is healthy. Actually pretty easy to replace 27-30 PPG on our team. Even JHo stepped up with TMac gone and scored and rebounded up to his career average, but he may have taken hinself off the team and out of the cap picture by committing a felony.

13. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

It might be easy to replace Tmac's 25-30ppg if we traded him, but there is no way you can replace his presence...I mean the guy demands a double team and he also has court vision just as good as anybody in the league...If T-mac were healthy next season and we were to trade him I think that would be a really foolish move on behalf of the Rockets...unless of course we were offered something you just cant say no too!

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Seems a fair summary to me. Yao, of course is at least top two or three.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Apart from the Derek Anderson reference, it's actually a pretty good write-up.

I still say the best thing for this team is to see if the Bulls will trade with us. They don't need more draft picks, and our future needs to be now. If healthy, Yao Ming can dominate for years, but he also needs a healthy supporting cast.

Tracy McGrady wouldn't have to play 39 minutes a game on the Bulls. Maybe 32-ish. He would already have a great team to work with (a$$hole coach aside, but what do you expect me to say of Scott Skiles, I'm an alumnus of the University of Iowa).

Of course, a healthy TMac might take us far, but we're in the Western Conference. San Antonio and Dallas will dominate a few more years. Eight or nine other teams will fight for playoff spots, depending on injuries and player defections (will Cassell get a 2 year deal with the Clips? or will he get it elsewhere, thus turning that team into a 9th or 10th seed, etc?)

We might take a hit for a year or so, but in my worthless opinion, quit jacking around. Look into such trades as T-Mac for the #2 and #16 picks and Nocioni (they'd probably offer Deng instead; they have the cap room to absorb the difference). Trade Stro + #32(?) pick to NJ Nets for Boki and the #23 and #24 picks (they have the trade exception to make it work). Etc.

Players we need to target in the draft: Marcus Williams, Brandon Roy, maybe Sheldon Williams. Or you could start packaging picks (if any of the dreamcast scenarios come to fruition).

If we're to get anywhere, we need a really good point guard and a shooter. Marcus Williams might not be Chris Paul, but by all accounts, he could get the ball to Yao (and maybe a few nice computers, too, discount rates, just like new, maybe some Chee-tos in the keyboards but...)

16. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

I don't know that it's entirely the race thing. If Yao ACTED tougher, people would think he was. The guy is too damn respectful. He needs to dunk the ball more, muscle people over, and throw some elbows to get respect from a lot of people.

Personally, I'd rather have a finesse player than a power player any day. I just think that's what people expect to see.

17. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

ummmm, last time I checked Shaq was still playing in the NBA.. I've also heard that he is in the playoffs right now throwin down One-handed alley hoops...

Yao WILL be the best center in the NBA, after Shaq retires.. u cant just look at the 05-06 season because Shaq had a terrible year/luck and Yao had his best year in his career after that surgery.. so dont judge him quickly, we will see next season.. :)

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thats strange because all the chinese that I know have very strong wills and determination and I detect nothing weak about them!

19. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

He may demand a double team, but if his court vision was that good he would be leading th league in assists, wouldn't he.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

It seems to me that Yao has won most of his fans over to his side by being naturally Yao Ming and playing great basketball, especially without the street mentality!