1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stat Geeks] Where to find data on FTA by shot location?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by francis 4 prez, Dec 28, 2013.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm trying to find data on how many free throws are generated per shot given the field goal attempt location (in the paint, 3 pointers, etc). after a quick google search and looking at some of the stats sites, either this is difficult to find or i just am not good at finding it (probably the latter). i once found something from 82games but it was only for part of one season. can any of you stat junkies help me out?

i suppose in a related question, are there league-wide shot charts from each season anywhere? hoopdata goes back to 06-07.

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Out of curiosity, why are you looking for those stats?

3. torocan

torocan Member

Hoopdata only breaks down general shooting distances.

NBAWowy will do season shot charts for individual players, and if you add players to the chart you can do an entire team.

Anything more comprehensive or granular you'd most likely need to go to a 3rd party source like SportsVu or Vanguard (neither are free). Unless you want to manually assemble the information from the various shot charts available.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

just to see how foul rates have changed over time. given the nearly historic low that fta per fga are at right now, i wonder how much is due to actual foul rate differences and how much is due to where the shots are now coming from (i.e. more 3's now). i have that one little snippet of data from something like 2007 from 82games, but without more numbers i don't know how good my guesstimates to fill in the rest of the data are. and without league wide shot charts, it's hard to know where shots came from back in the day when hardly anyone shot 3's (i.e. were the vast majority of today's 3's just long 2's back in the day or were they replaced by more post-ups and drives than you would think?).