1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stanford just made tuition free for families earning less than $125,000 per year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by krnxsnoopy, Apr 2, 2015.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

2. rage

rage Member

Are you suggesting other institutions provide aids based on skin colors?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Great to see Stanford doing this -- much smarter and more forward thinking than the racist policies of using skin color as a factor.

4. rage

rage Member

Show me some proofs.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm not sure, but I think a couple of you may be blurring the difference between admission and financial aid.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is true I will tip my hat to Stanford even though they are my hated rival. Good to see them putting all that Silicon Valley money to some good.

Also FYI for those of you using this to bash Affirmative Action Stanford has and continues to consider race in admission. In fact Stanford as a private university has more freedom to consider issues like race in admissions than Cal can because of proposition 209.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

krx snoopy you will never get into stanford so why do you care?.

Not only will you never get into Stanford, but nobody who you are close to will ever get in either.

It's the most ridiculously selective school in the country.

Who cares that, of the tiny minority of people who get in (most of whom are well off, or else they wouldn't get in in the first place), an even smaller fraction of them get a break on tuition?

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do many major universities in the US have a program like this?

9. Nook

Nook Member

Meh... Both my sister and myself got in. Neither of us went because we didn't have the money, even with financial aid. I don't regret it as athletics played a part in me getting in, but I do wish my sister had been able to go.

Regardless, a very good gesture by Stanford.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The IVY leagues do. Given 4 years at an IVY will set you back 200k they need to make it affordable to students.

11. Major

Major Member

I got in, as did several people I knew at the time. None of us had families that made $125k per year. I think you overestimate how wealthy people are, and how many of the students are from wealthy backgrounds. Lots of people will benefit from this, including brilliant middle and lower class people who otherwise may not have any other access to that world. Anyone who supports the idea of economic mobility should be happy with this.

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

As should anyone who supports the ideal of an academic meritocracy.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

one of my mates and his sister are at harvard for free cause their family earns way below the threshold. dude was beast at sydney grammar and he's a beast at harvard as well.

he deserves every break he gets

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think he is saying that this really effects a small part of the population since Stanford is so exclusive. It would be a bigger deal if the UT system did it.

In the good old days, all the Texas public schools were 4 dollars a credit hour, so tuition ended up being around 200 bucks with fees. Even with the minimum wage being around 3 bucks an hour, pretty much anyone could afford to go to college.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek:

16. SamFisher

You got in 20+ years ago when the admission rate was probably 20% or higher and there were far fewer applicants- you would almost certainly not get in now.

[​IMG]

Stanford's admission rate is now only 5.1%.

if by "lots of people" you mean "a few hundred a year" you are probably correct.

What would have more impact however, would be if Stanford made a commitment to accepting students from lower income backgrounds in huge numbers (50% of all slots maybe?), rather than throwing some scraps to the few that make it through the gates

17. krnxsnoopy

Yup

Yes Sir

18. krnxsnoopy

So skewing the academic standards for admissions in order to meet the quota for 50% lower income backgrounds?

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So we need to be laid off right before my kids (have 1 now) start school.

20. SamFisher

LOL, you are so predictable. I knew it would come down to this - the only true meritocracy is one that elevates a bunch of test-taking robots who can do math, which is why you started the thread. Anything that threatens this dream IS A DEFILEMENT

The funny thing is the PRC has this system in place (massive overreliance on a dumb test, though it also has some AA for minorities) - it's about as much a "meritocracy" as any herditary oligarchy.