1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Standing Pat If We Strike out on Lebron and Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeacePeace, Jul 5, 2014.

?

What should we do this summer?

1. Sign a max/near max superstar if we miss out on Lebron/Carmelo

37 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Make minor moves and keep flexibility to pursue KD/Elite Superstar next summer/future.

26 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

With how intelligent players and organizations have become, along with prioritizing championships, if we are not able to sign Lebron or Carmello, our best bet maybe to stand pat.

Every summer is a whirlwind in the NBA with the potential of a perennial contender forming at some unlikely or likely organization. As we have seen this summer, there are multiple teams positioned to not only acquire Lebron, Carmelo, or both, but have the roster and assets to immediately put themselves into title contention for the long term.

I would be concerned giving out a max contract to the lower level superstar at this point because it would essentially lock us into that core for this 'era' with Dwight and James.

If a large scale power shift occurs next summer, with Kevin Durant leading the way, it may put us into the passenger seat in the West for the next 4 or 5 years.

Jalen Rose said at the beginning of this past season that if the Thunder are not able to be successful, KD would most likely come to Houston. I agree with this. Which is why I feel if we are not able to secure an Elite Superstar i.e. Lebron or Carmello this off season, we should make minor moves and position ourselves to make a push for KD next summer.

Your thoughts?

2. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more! But you forgot about Love. Love is up there with LeBron and Carmelo.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

I can't keep track of how many times it's been said....

Kevin Durant is NOT a free agent until 2016

4. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Uhm, he said next summer/future. Is 2016 not the future? Think before you post.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

How do you plan to acquire Durant? Even if we don't sign anyone our cap space will be gone once we resign Parsons. Only way we could make a big acquisition is via trade so additional trade assets would help.

6. MFG16

MFG16 Member

I can respect your opinion but I completely disagree. This is the only offseason where the Rockets will have available cap for the foreseeable future. Even if we do strike out on the Big FAs we will still have to keep Parsons which will tie us up with a core of Harden/Howard/Parsons. This is Moreys window to manipulate the cap and acquire a max type player and be able to keep Parsons. If we strike out on Melo/Lebron I want Bosh. And in the event Durant wants to come to Houston I wouldn't put it past Morey to get it done after signing a max type player this offseason. Just my thoughts.

7. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

There is going to be another Kevin Love Saga starting next summer with Kevin Durant. If he has decided he is not staying, the Thunder will be on the clock starting in the summer.

8. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

Good point.

9. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

I will add that IF KD decides to come here, I would trade Parsons in a heartbeat in a S&T

1 person likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So burn two seasons in the HOPE of getting a SHOT at Durant?

Rocket River

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why does everyone keep overlooking we already have two superstars. Build around them!

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Exactly!

Not to mention two seasons of Dwight's limited prime???

13. chandlerbang21

They barely made allstar team? The media determines who is a "superstar " and so far I only see Durant lebron Kobe and cp3 /melo tagged with that

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Kevin Durant is such a good player that OKC would probably rather keep him the extra year and gain one more shot at a playoff run than trade him for anything we have. His value in a trade is more than we have, so legitimately we would be waiting 2 years and there is no guarantee he signs here when the other teams have a shot. So why wait? Sign the first big name that wants to be here.

Edit: Not just a big name. Jeremy Lin is a big name, we need a great player.

15. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Cyber said Morey will not stand pat.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Bosh or Love would be perfect on this team

Deng would be alright

I would be upset if we stand pat. Waste of another of Dwight's prime years. We're not good enough to be a championship contender, but we're pretty close.

17. c2u4erm

c2u4erm Member

Didn't the spurs teach you guys anything? All this crap about having to have 3 stars...aand please don't say San Antonio has a big 3 because they don't! They did but don't anymore... San Antonio played as a team and had a ton of depth and just kept coming at the heat...we have two really good players I wish we would look at players that could fit certain roles...in other words I would rather have 2-3 good guys jump on the team than just 1 great player...

18. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

Truth, Morey has to get somebody this offseason, otherwise we are doom.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Be like the Spurs! So easy, anyone can do it!

Heh. Spurs this, Spurs that, why aren't more teams doing it? Or if they are, how many have been as successful? Righttt...

Be like the Spurs!

Yeah, that's why free agency is on hold while the stars of the league decide what they want to do.*

*Sure, there have been a few signings/re-signings here and there.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

After trading Asik and declining Parsons' option, he's screaming that he won't stand pat.