1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sri Lanka: The Forgotten War on Terror

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I got back from Sri Lanka a few days ago and it is an amazing and beautiful country but it is still suffering under a grinding war. Even though the fighting is localized in the north and east there are still fears of terrorism in other parts, particularly the capital Columbo which though in the Southwest part of the country has still suffered several terrorists bombings. Signs that a war is going on are everywhere in Columbo with troops with Kalishnikovs practically everywhere and checkpoints. When I went to eat at a posh restaurant in a hotel and bank I had to go through a security check like getting on a plane. Outside of the Columbo and even along the Southern coast there are still checkpoints here and there along with a military presence in some key sites.

It seems like most Americans don't know about the almost 30 years long civil war in Sri Lanka or know much about it so some brief background. The country is majority Buddhist native Sinhalese and the rebels are ethnic Tamils who came from Southern India who are predominantly Hindu. Many of these have been here for generations and The main Tamil group is called the Liberation Tamil Tigers of Elaam (LTTE) although since then it has split into a couple of different groups and there is some infighting between them. The LTTE want a separate Tamil country in the North and East and are upset over perceived Sinhalese dominance and discrimination. The conflict started in the early 80's after nationalistic Sinhalese governments came to power and instuted policies to emphasize the importance of Sinhalese identity, such as making Sinhalese the official language instead of English making all official public work and education in Sinhalese. Since then there have been some periods of relative peace with the longest being a cease fire in 2000 that saw the reopening of rebel held areas and a relaxing of the Sinhalese laws. The tsunami though ended the cease fire when the LTTE refused to allow the government or NGO's access to LTTE held areas and since then bombing campaigns have returned and recently the government has started an offensive. It has been speculated that the LTTE might've suffered a catastrophic blow from the tsunami as it hit rebel held coastal areas very hard and that the leader of LTTE might've died in it along with some of their most elite fighters who were based on a seaside base. The LTTE leader hasn't been heard or seen since.

Many Americans tend to believe that terrorism, particularly the use of suicide bombers, is primarily a Muslim phenomenon. They would be surprised to learn that the LTTE were the first to use suicide bombing and continue to use it. Many of the LTTE suicide bombers have been women. The LTTE also use child soldiers and are linked with international drug trafficking. It might also surprise many Americans that Muslims haven't been participants but hapless victims in this conflict with many of Sri Lanka's minority Muslim population driven out of rebel head areas.

Why the conflict in Sri Lanka has gathered so little attention in the West and the US has probably been due to a few things. Sri Lanka is a long ways from the US, both the LTTE and government have been very careful about affecting Westerners and the LTTE aren't Islamic and are thus not seen part of a worldwide conflict on Islamic-Fascism. From talking to Sinhalese themselves they see their own conflict very much as part of the War on Terror and have adopted the language of the war on terror, such as always referring to LTTE and other Tamil group fighters as "terrorists" and they will say things like when Jaffna was briefly captured by the government as "taking it back from the terrorists."

All of this unfortunately been hitting a country that is still suffering from the tsunami and one that has a lot of potential to be successful. They are located on major trade routes, in a position to take advantage of India's growing market, have alot of natural resources for a country that size and beautiful beaches and ancient cultural sites. In the meantime this war on terror has been largely overshadowed by conflicts on the other side of the Indian Ocean in Middle East.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is one American that has followed the events in Sri Lanka way before the "War on Terror" got started. The LTTE is one of the most vicious and unconscionable groups ever. Their brutality knows no bounds.

Like you said, this inhuman conflict is limited in scope, which is why no major country besides India gives it much thought. I doubt it will ever be on the U.S. radar outside of the sporadic reporting on bloodshed that we have now.

Imagine my shock, several years ago, upon going to Singapore. They told me of their "Indian" population. Like a typical American, I assumed they were either Hindu or South Indian. When I visited that area of town and noticed the very unique Tamil written language I was stunned. Just so everyone knows: In Singapore, the Tamils live in peace.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yeah this really sucks. I actually am Tamil (although most of my family doesn't live in Tamil Nadu in India) but the stuff going on in Sri Lanka is just horrific. It's actually pretty sad because the brutality of what goes on there isn't discussed in India very often and many times they're portrayed as "freedom fighters" and their brutality is often whitewashed over.

Granted the Sinhalese made some stupid moves in their drive to assert their cultural identity, but that doesn't excuse the sheer brutality of the tactics of the LTTE.

Although as time has passed, the LTTE has become more and more isolated from the broader Tamil community to the point where they've developed a unique tamil dialect and cultural traditions.

It's become a don't ask don't tell topic among Tamils and many Indians and that's sad because it's hard to tell where they stand on the issue.

4. Sishir Chang

There's nothing innate about Tamils that make them violent. (geeimsobored are you inclined to violence? ;) ) In Sri Lanka in the central region there are Tamils who were brought over by the British to work the Tea Plantations who have no interest in the rebellion. This primarily is a problem with the LTTE and not other Tamils.

Interesting POV on Indian attitudes about the LTTE geeimsobored.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks for the comments, but it makes the situation seem even more hopeless than I thought. I'm no scholar on the situation, but it almost seems the only way for the conflict to stop is for the government to win militarily. Based on my read of the "negotiations" of recent years, an agreement to cease hostilities will never be reached unless the LTTE is completely crushed and has no alternative.

Sishir Chang, I'm ashamed to admit I never even knew there were Tamils outside of the I.S.C. until going to Singapore. The world is a complex, diverse place.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've had a long interest in the island, in part because of a relative who's visited several times due to an international educational program related to high technology, and in part because Arthur C. Clarke has lived there since the 1950's, and he's been one of my favorite writers since, well, the late '50's, lol. My relative got to meet him in Columbo, btw, and had a fascinating visit.

This is one of those incredibly beautiful places, like Ireland (although the beauty is far different, of course), that should literally be a Garden of Eden, with a huge tourist industry that could easily drive the economy and provide jobs to countless Sri Lankans. Instead, it is beset with insane religious and ethnic strife. For something that supposed to be wonderful and grand, religion sure creates hell on earth for a lot of people. So does ethnic conflict. Combine the two, and you have a perfect storm of needless conflict, destruction, and death.

D&D. See the World... you Might be Surprised by what you find.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I was under the impression that things were fine and peachy in Sri Lanka since I had read an artcile a couple years ago about how Western factories and businesses wre investing in there. I've also bought some stuff that had "made in Sri lanka" labels.

8. Sishir Chang

Following up on Deckard and Hotballa's comments there is foreign investment coming into Sri Lanka particulary from Korea but development is hampered by the war but also by corruption along with the Sinhalese language policy. One of the engineers I was talking to said that the lack of adequate English skills has made it difficult for the Sri Lankans to participate in the Global IT market like India has and also they haven't been able to build up a good IT or physical infrastructure. For example they started to build a super-highway but couldn't complete it so most of their roads are overcrowded, narrow with lots of non-auto traffic on them. This engineer works for a steel mill and he told me also that the most dangerous jobs Sri Lankans wouldn't do and that they were actually importing low caste workers from India to do those. So there are several things at the moment keeping Sri Lanka from joining the Asian Tigers.

One thing that is interesting about Sri Lanka that I heard from a Singaporean professor just the other day is that in the 1950's and 1960's Sri Lanka, Myanmar (Burma) and the Philipines were the most advanced countries in SE Asia and that Singaporeans used to send doctors and other profesionals to be trained in those countries. Now things have totally changed and from what I saw in Sri Lanka it is way way behind Singapore and lagging well behind Thailand, Malaysia and even Indonesia.

9. mulletman

mulletman Member

A significant number of the LTTE’s past and present leadership is Christian. The nature of the conflict in Sri Lanka is ethnic/linguistic -- people are not fighting over theological differences. If you read any of their propaganda (speeches, writings, website, etc), the LTTE makes it quite clear that religion is not the driving force behind the conflict.

The LTTE kills anyone that doesnt agree with its vision. Muslims and Sinhalese have been victims, but Hindu and Christian Tamils have been victimized as well. Before it gained its dominant position on the island, it killed scores of Tamil moderates and eliminated most of the “competing” Tamil nationalist groups that existed at the time. It also targets Tamil politicians voted into power by the Tamil people themselves if they dont support the LTTE. Its hardly a secret that the LTTE has murdered and maimed as many (if not more) Tamils as the Sri Lankan military.

The LTTE was not the first group to make use of suicide bombings in recent times – I think that distinction belongs to the Hezbollah when it bombed the American embassy in Beirut in 1983. The LTTE was actually inspired by the “success” of those bombings, and it actively sought and received training from Hezbollah in the early 80s.

As far as the LTTE suicide bombings are concerned - those didn’t start until 1987 after the specialized unit called the Black Tigers was formed.

Outside of small sections of the Tamil community, I have a hard time believing that the group responsible for the assassination of India's Prime Minister is seen as "freedom fighters". I’m not so sure that its brutality is whitewashed or ignored much either -- its hard to do so when they kill the PM of your country. IMO, the media coverage in India of Sri Lanka's civil war is pretty extensive, and the LTTE's brutality is well chronicled. Most commentary from the Indian media that I see pushes for the Indian government to take a more active role in eliminating the LTTE.

10. mulletman

mulletman Member

EDIT: should be former prime minister

11. Sishir Chang

Good points Mulletman regarding the nature of the conflict being secular and about about the LTTE killing moderate Tamils. As for the suicide bombers I heard from Sri Lankans and saw in some other sources that an LTTE militant was the first to use the tactic when he blew up a school being used as a military base. I don't have the info off the top of my head or time to look for a link but will try to follow up. Otherwise if one of the wikipedia adepts could.