1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spring Training Game #1 -Astros @ Braves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by roxxfan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Chris Carter RBI double. Cut him!

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Correa, DeShields and Springer all on the field at the same time. I could get used to this.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/statuses/439568119087267840">March 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hey guys Carlos Correa just singled. I swooned

#22 tellitlikeitis, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

There's a talk show on 790 where can i listen to the game.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As per OP KBME - 790. That's what it was on over mlb.com. Was it already over? I think it was still going on when you posted.

5. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Were you listening on the radio or on Iheart radio?

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Springer had 2 Runs and 2 SB
    DeShields 1 Run 1 RBI 1 SB
    Correa 1 hit 1 Run 2 AB
    Stassi 1 AB 1 2B

7. Nick

Nick Member

Promote them all now! (somewhat serious...)

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

I am serious. I believe that Correa could handle himself quite well in the Show.

9. The Real Shady

I think he would bat around .200 and be over matched. I don't want to see him changing his swing just so he can attempt to make contact with pro pitching. I'd rather see his body develop more as well as his power stroke in the lower levels. Being over matched can give you bad habits at the plate.

I'm happy with him finishing the season in AA and being in the majors at 20. Very fast promotion imo.

10. The Beard

The Beard Member

I hope Springer seriously forces their hand on his situation.

11. The Real Shady

He's going to be starting in the OF for the Stros unless he bats under .100 in Spring Training.

12. Nick

Nick Member

He won't. Pointless to give up the extra year after they wasted all the opportunity to promote him last year, and now only need to wait 3 more weeks to achieve their goal.

Also, he's not even the starting OF in spring training...and hasn't been placed on the 40 man roster.

13. Nick

Nick Member

You don't know how they would ultimately do till they're up here. Everything you said could happen the exact same way when he's 21-22.

Also, learning how to correct your mistakes at the big league level carries much further than making adjustments in the minors.

Guess you would have kept A-rod, Trout, Harper, and Griffey on a mythical "development" schedule as well... (I know correa won't be here for another 2 years, just saying that you don't need to coddle the special ones. They don't get ruined by aggressive promotion).

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

What's wrong with letting Correa play above Low-A? Even the guys you mentioned played to at least AA. Trout struggled his first season, but then adjusted to the majors like you said. ARod struggled his first two seasons a was sent down and spent time in the minors as well. Both Griffey and Harper played up to AA (although Grifffey only lasted 19 games). I would must rather send him to Lancaster/Corpus Christi and then call him up later in the year if he is performing well than to send him directly to the majors.

Just my opinion.

15. The Real Shady

I'd rather have Correa in his prime years at a cheep rate rather than him trying to figure things out in the bigs at that salary. Probably waste 2 good years of Correa in his prime playing at a bargain. As a mid level capped team the Astros have to be more fiscally responsible than the large market clubs.

16. The Beard

The Beard Member

If that us how they are going to think out all their moves, ultimately it won't matter how good he is, he will spend his prime elsewhere

We won't know till it happens but I sure hope we worry about development and performance when dealing with prospects, not their clock and how much they will cost in 5 years

17. The Beard

The Beard Member

We aren't a mid level market. Obviously the TV deal will ultimately determine how high our salary can rise, but if we are worrying about losing a 19 year old when he is in his prime already, then it will never truly matter

I say you put Correa wherever his talent and development says he should be, which is probably high A or CC, but we have seen ONE game lets see how this plays out next couple of weeks

18. The Beard

The Beard Member

And also, are you really worrying about a spring training lineup? Because he isn't start yesterday? Come on man

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I see after one game, Wallace is already our strikeout leader :(

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I think we should push Correa and start him at CC. Let him deal with any potential struggles as it will be good for his future growth as a player.