1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Illustrated Love (Now vs Then)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Nov 7, 2017.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

So for the many millenials on the board who are most likely not old enough to remember the Back 2 Back championships, this love from Sports Illustrated for Houston is somewhat of a shocker.

Back during the 1st Championship for the Rockets, Sports Illustrated attempted to snub Houston by producing a Houston only cover story for our City, and a different cover story for the rest of the Country.

This seems odd getting love for a Houston franchise like this dating all the way back to 2014 for the prediction issue, and now SI stating there will be two different issues regarding the Astros. I know times change, and people leave, but I am still in awe of the National love.

BigM, Daddy Long Legs and Hey Now! like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I was just thinking about this earlier today - it is amazing how much a difference 23 years makes.

In 1994, SI would sell subscriptions on the back of their commemorative championship issues - it was a big, big deal. Every champion, in every sport, would get a "Relive the excitement of so-so's championship..." television commercial (maybe they still do these?...) And they NEVER did it for the Rockets. SI literally wanted NO PART of the Houston Rockets. They didn't even make the cover when they won it. No, seriously:
    [​IMG]

So it has been unique to see SI so over the moon for the Astros. Obviously, their '14 prediction, I think, deepened their investment (even though they were wrong in '16, '17......)

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Odd to say the least, but I'll take it. I remember when they finally did release the Rockets championship issue.....it was bittersweet because of how disrespectful they were towards us. This time it's very, VERY different, and I think we can thank Ben Reiter for that.

Marteen likes this.
  4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This astros team has a national appeal that can be seen through the various appearances and the coverage the team has received. I think the players are very likable and the Harvey story is a good one. But the coverage belongs to the players. I think this group of astros has developed some national following because they are young exuberant and Uber talented.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They only released the Rockets commerative issue after the Houston backlash right? That’s the way I remember it. And they never made one in the format of their other championship issues. They did do one for the 95 title though.

I think the 2014 prediction issue plus the Houston buzz really got them to up their game. Plus they probably don’t want that Houston fury again.

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I think you're right about that. I think that they reluctantly released the issue for the Rockets after the fans, and the media got on their ass about it.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

8. rimrocker

When that cover came out and it became known that they only had a commemorative edition lined up for the Knicks and not the Rockets, I cancelled the si subscription I'd had since I was 9 and have never read them again, not even in a dentist office. And I never will. My family was shocked when I didn't ask for a subscription the following Christmas like I had always done. si robbed me of the one thing I had been waiting for all those childhood and early adult years: to see a Houston championship team on the cover. The Knicks edition added insult to injury and the soccer cover was just downright assholery from the New Yorkers who run that rag. Screw 'em. They were trash then and they are trash now. Not only will they never get another penny from me, they won't even get an eyeball or a click. They suck.

Hey Now! and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. rimrocker

I'm not sure why my above post was broken in two. Probably because I was talking about Satan.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

What’s the best place to get a copy? I know a lot people are going to want to buy this one too