1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speedy Claxton

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eman, Jun 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. eman

eman Contributing Member

Did pretty well in the finals. Announcers said he was a free agent today. Is there a true point guard on the Rockets roster? Could we use one? If so, how about Speedy?

2. munco

munco Member

I've thrown his name around before. The guy can play and has been held by things like injuries. Even in Philly Larry Brown loved him, but having a backcourt with him and AI would have been way too small. I really hope we can land him or even a Jamal Crawford.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I should have known, the dude has the game of his life and of course that means people here think we should get him. We don't need to get smaller.

BTW, Jamal Crawford is untouchable right now unless a star player is involved.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Speedy has been having good games for a while. This wasn't the first. He has a great mid range jumper and the ability to take care of the basketball and defend. I think he would be a great addition to the Rockets but I don't think the Spurs are gonna let go of him, especially after last night.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Agreed, thats the kind of thinking that nets long term contracts for Moochie and Cato.

Beware of point guards with seven dwarf nicknames for first names: Moochie, Sleepy, Speedy, etc.

6. Summer Song Giver

Moochie Norris is a star.... at supercuts!

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Too bad Moochie didn't play as well as Speedy did this season. :(

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He did during his contract year. Funny how that works. ;)

I agree with SamFisher on this one. No more signing guys based on their play during their contract years. Our track record on this speaks for itself...

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

He does have talent but I think we need to look for someone to compliment Steve's game rather than duplicate it. Speedy is a scorer, not a distributor and we're allready paying Moochie the big bucks. I don't see us bringing in another pg unless they have the potential to compliment Steve.

10. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

He's played well all through the season and the playoffs. I wouldn't mind picking him up, but no way he signs for the MLE. After his performance, he'll want top dollar for his services.

11. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Too funny. Although I did like Sleepy.:D

12. munco

munco Member

I've said that we should look at him in the past. Prior to his success in the playoffs.

I wouldn't call Jamal Crawford untouchable unless it's for a star. The Bulls likely move him or Jay Williams. I think we could get Jamal Crawford for Mobley + something.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

If not Speedy, how about Gary, Jason, or Tony?

It was sooooo frustrating, watching our half-court offense last year. Seemed like it could be summarized so:

Option 1 Dribble out the shot clock
    Option 2 Quick, low-percentage jack
    Option 3 Go through Yao like SA goes through Duncan

I like our chances with #3 the best, and think those chances will improve as Yao matures. I think we need a point guard with the discipline to stick to #3 and the smarts to spot other options.

Let's not even think about the defensive end.

Stevie could still be the Franchise at the two, or on some other team.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

The Bulls have already stated that they won't trade Crawford unless they're blown away by the offer. We missed our window, I think he's officially off the market. The Bulls are entertaining the idea of trading JWilliams and keeping Crawford, that's how high on him they are.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Actually, Crawford is on a physical training program to allow him to play the 2, with J-Will in the backcourt next year.

they are destroying his career on this little expirament. if it doesn't work out, he's too big to be a PG and not a good SG. Then what?

16. esse

esse Contributing Member

Speedy or Parker might do the Rockets some good....better than Moochie has thats for sure!
    Although Spurs will keep both!;)

17. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

You can't be "too big" to be a point guard!

18. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

francis at 2 would rock if we could get a poing guard like parker or something. if SA signs kidd, we should jump all over that.

19. Uncle_Tim

Uncle_Tim Member

what is Matt Maloney up to these days?

20. rock418

rock418 Rookie

Hell I would rather have speedie than moochie's punk azz.