1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South Korean ferry capsized 2 dead and 290 people missing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sydeffect, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27045512#TWEET1102099

~180 rescued (including ~77 high school students).
    2 dead
    ~295 unaccounted for
    340+ commandos from Army/Navy/Coast Guard including 20+ divers all working on getting to possible survivors trapped in completely submerged ferry. Even if they manage to get survivors, the water is so cold (10 degrees C / 50 degrees F) that they need to be airlifted promptly. If floating in water, one is expected to survive for 2-3 hours only.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Crazy. What would've made the boat capsize?

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

that's a helluva "counting error" discrepancy. seriously?

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A bunch of kids Sigh : (

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

My question as well.

This won't end well :(

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Terrible..

Saw the video showing the boat sinking and unlike the Costa Concordia this went almost completely underwater. I doubt that anyone below decks could've survived.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Hopefully, North Korea had nothing to do with this (unlike in 2010 when they randomly torpedoed a South Korean warship).

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to be glad if I'm proved wrong on this. On the news they had an expert saying that when a ship this large goes down there are probably a lot of air pockets where people could hold out. Also there was a man who last year had been found alive in a sunken fishing boat after three days.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

At the same time they don't want to move the ship in the event that it floods the air pockets with water and kills the survivors.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

11. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I read that the corridor was closed trapping the majority. What the hell? Any life boats? It's crazy cause I was reading up on the titanic in fascination and this happens.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

From reddit:

475 total on board, including 325 students (almost all high school students)
    179 rescued (including 78 students, 2 teachers, 17 crew)
    6 dead (22 year old female crew, 3 high school students, 2 unidentified females)
    290 unaccounted for

Cause: Unknown. Investigation is ongoing and officials are cautious about putting out theories. Previous allegations of hitting reef under foggy conditions are being denied. The captain himself denied hitting reef. The Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries also stated that there are no reef in the vicinity. Survivors who were on the deck reported that there was no fog at the time of accident. There was no fog in the area according to rescuers when they arrived to the scene. Speculation shifting from hitting reef to hitting bedrock but no evidence to back these theories. The depth in the area of the capsized ship is 30 meters deep. Also, allegations of the ferry veering off course are being doubted. Analysts are saying that the ferry's position does not deviate significantly off of it's normal route. This ferry runs this route at least 8 times a month.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If NK is behind this expect war.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27056653

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

From what I'm hearing:

Ship was late. Captain either took a detour or increased speed to a point where it became unsafe.

Ship hit something; unknown what it hit, starts tilting. Captain orders everyone to stay put (idiotic decision). Does not issue evacuation or hail any nearby ships. First report of emergency came from a parent that had a conversation with their child on the boat.

Captain, most of crew, and a few passengers that didn't listen to the initial orders to stay put are rescued. Those that followed the orders were trapped.

What a scumbag of a captain. His incompetence and selfishness cost the potential lives of nearly 300 people.

This is horrifying, and it's also a huge indicator of a social problem. Pride before empathy and honesty. Captain worried more about saving his own ass both physically and professionally.

That one order from the captain was the difference from rescuing everyone to letting this happen. What a tragedy.

#17 RedRedemption, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"From what we're hearing" is a big caveat for now. But at this point, yeah, it looks like an awful mismanagement of an emergency, even based on what survivors are saying.

I had this romantic notion that the captain was always the last one off a ship. I guess that's just some sort of noble fantasy.

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected. Of all the ways to perish, yeah, I just can't put words to it. And to think of all these high school students.

As for the NK angle, it's really hard to imagine they would do something this aggressive and stupid. I am betting heavily against that potential cause. Or maybe I should say hoping.

18. noize

noize Contributing Member

What a horrific turn of event especially after reading them chilling text messages.

Looking at some of the pictures...I didn't see any of the victims wearing a life jacket or are using one of those small reserved emergency boats. Doesn't look like the ferry was well prepared. A lot more lives would've been saved otherwise.

19. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

So sad. :(
    Hoping for the best, in what looks like a grim situation.

Try to find some light in a dark situation...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4CRNzbYEtRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>