1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston, forwards Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas bypass extensions, unable to gain t

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yahoo Sources: Houston, forwards Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas bypass extensions, unable to gain traction. <a href="https://t.co/cMZi0mJBlr">https://t.co/cMZi0mJBlr</a></p>&mdash; Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/659733858909339649">October 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Please acquire Horford at trade deadline. Please.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

IIRC it was always unlikely that there would be an extension. It would be nice for us, but I think these guys both want to see what FA has to offer.

#3 Haymitch, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  4. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

i can't believe the rockets offered jones an extension and if they did he would be an idiot not to accept because the free agent market isn't going to be as hot for him as he thinks. dmo would be a fool to extend now unless he has concerns about his back because if he's healthy he'll prove his worth during this season as the starter and get really good offers.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

after giving mchale a 4 year extension i fully expect the front office to rewards jones' incompetence with a fat contract as well lol

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

after tt getting 82mil you know they're gonna try fa. jones has great leverage, a starting pf for a west playoff team that went to the wcf. and dmo is an unproven skilled 7 footer.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Extending DMO now is risky until seeing him back from injury and also hurts flexibility this summer. Jones is probably gone by the trade deadline

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't see either them being a rocket next season anyways. When DMo comes back and ends up playing like he did last season, some team will offer him big money.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

DMo and Tjones probably have agents telling them, "Look, the salary cap is going to explode. Look at what teams are paying to nobodies. Believe me, Morey just wants to sign you to something semi-reasonable for them so he can still go after a Big Name Player. Or use you in a trade. We'll tell them 'no'. I can get you a better deal. Someone always pays."

I always thought it would be unlikely to keep either player. It's Morey's M.O. Find guys on good deals and flip non-superstars who are asking for a big raise. I like DMo's game and I think TJones is a g.d. shame---he has talent but also a wooden head; but let's not be stunned if neither is a Rocket this time next year.

(That said, I'd like DMo to stick around. if for nothing else to ensure Plowman stays a Rockets fan. :) J/k, Plow. Sorta?)

10. knucklehead3321

I for one expected this, and I dont think anyone expected much different, its just how morey does things. I'm sure he lowballed them... if they bit, then good if not they're restricted anyways so we can match whatever... so long as we want to.

11. OpenLayup-Why3?

da fuq did you just say? Please tell me you're being sarcastic or else to ignore list we go.

12. knucklehead3321

I think he's saying tjones wants that tristan thompson money... on another note I don't remember anyone signing extensions, other than maxx money this season so far, except john henson. Do we know of anyone else? The salary cap is playing a big part in that, I think everyones agent is probably telling them to hold off and GMs are holding onto money to go after big names.

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

Yeah, and then he says this: "jones has great leverage, a starting pf for a west playoff team that went to the wcf. and dmo is an unproven skilled 7 footer."

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never really expected either to go for an extension, they have to bet on themselves and see what they get next year.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Farewell, T Jones.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Makes sense. If D-Mo remains hobbled throughout the year and TJ keeps his play up, I see neither staying. We need a veteran, D-Mo of last year or TJ to make strides.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Are they going to be unrestricted at the end of this season?

18. knucklehead3321

LoL jones has no leverage unless he goes into beast mode this season, but by then it will be too late for an extension. He'll never get that kind of money with morey as GM...IMO josh smith played a bigger role in getting us to WCF than tjones did, and we let him walk for nothing. I totally missed the part about dmo, :rolleyes: at him being unskilled... I think if morey has to pick between the 2 barring injuries dmo is who morey keeps. I could be totally wrong too.

19. knucklehead3321

Almost certain they are still on rookie scale deals so that would make them restricted. Somone correct me if im wrong.

20. Fantasma Negro

Jones played himself out of an early extension and DMo's injury gives no guarantees as to when he will be back and how effective he will be. So this move makes sense but still doesn't explain why they didn't try harder to retain Smith