1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. BasketballReasons

Melo is a closer and a STAR. You need that in the playoffs. This has became a star-driven league. Hopefully you guys have learned that from last season.
    This isn't March Madness, no-one cares about the fairy-tale story in the NBA. The Heat won't allow that.

Get er dun.

2. min

min Member

living in the bay area... i've seen too much of Maggette... he is a black hole... needs the ball in his hand to be effective... one-on-one player... will shut Adelman's offense down...

Melo is similar, but he is a superstar and will get superstar calls... you can give Melo the rock at the end of the game and hope the refs bail him out... no ref is going to bail out Magette

3. pge71188

pge71188 Member

If we get him GREAT!!! if we don't no biggie for me.
    P.S: I hope we get Melo!!!

4. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Damn if only this came out a couple weeks ago, Morey wishing he still has Ariza as the trading chip. Not going to happen unless Nuggets want future picks.

5. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yep Yep.

MELO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And I hope it's wrong! Man, Anderson's contract sucks big time. Definitely do not want.

Good lord, DD. Trotting out the hyperbole again. That's just crazy, dude. What does Anthony have in common with McGrady, except for the fact that they are both allegedly male?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Yes but effeciency isn't the only measure of quality of player, specifically with superstars.

The draw here, for us, is a guy who consistantly draws in double teams and mismatches. Once the defense collapses/scrambles, opportunities open for
    others which boosts thier scoring opportunities.

The intangible superstar effect is also a bonus. Numerous times last year Brooks was hammered on his last plays of the game with no call. Superstars get those calls and those add wins.

While Melo isnt the ideal fit. He does play a position where we are relatively weak overall. The upgrade in talent alone, boosts us into top 3 team in the league, no matter how overated Melo may be.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well i definitely wouldn't give Martin away in a trade for him. That would diminish the effect.

9. sammy

sammy Member

I could have sworn that I saw a post from you saying that we should go after Melo a few weeks back.

Also, how does he have Mcgrady 2 written all over him? He lead his team to NCAA championship in his freshmen yr and he is only 1 yr removed from beasting his team to the WCF.

I swear DD..you're falling off more than ever these days. You don't want AB gone. Just admit it.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Why..?

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Melo is a borderline superstar. This team NEEDS a superstar.
    He is also incredibly strong for his size and position, something the Rockets need. He's also got a deadly mid-range jumpshot.

I'd say he's a better candidate at the 3 than Andre Iguodala is...

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I actually thought you were on the right track with Maggette, but took it over board. You're right, he was/is efficient. The guy gets to the line and has fairly strong true shooting and effective field goal %'s. Problem being, he's done it consistently on bad teams, is considerably overpaid, and has had some injury issues in the past. Statistically, Corey had a great year last year - efficient scorer (best year of his career), best PER of his career, grabbed some boards, relatively healthy, etc. Still, I don't think anyone in the Bay Area would be sad to see him traded.

I think your wrong about Melo, generally. He's a similarly efficient scorer and indisputably a better offensive player overall , has done so on winning squads consistently, is generally a better rebounder and playmaker, and has multiple years of >22 PERs...(his PEr last year was better than Kobe's as an example)

he's a great player, a consistent all-star. he has defensive lapses, can get trigger happy and isn't the playmaker of the HOF type guys ahead of him, and at his best isn't even a T-Mac at his best (though in the 02-03 season Tracy's 30.3 PER was best in the league) but is one heck of a player that would be a great add.

1 person likes this.
  13. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Agree.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Sometimes I wonder how you rate "overrated" DD. So being more successful in the NBA playoffs is being overrated? Carmelo is not overrated, he isn't a TOP SUPERSTAR like Wade and Lebron I'd say, but he's definitely a top 7 player in the league.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Again, I say go for it, but not at too high a price....

I would give up some combination of the following:

Hill
    Budinger
    Battier
    Jeffries
    Patterson
    Taylor
    Picks

But no one else....

DD

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You shouldn't be, Moe. Look who's being talked about as trade chips.

17. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

I'm expecting something like a trade of:

Rockets to Nuggets Trade Proposal

Morey may be able to scrap or change the Jared part but only if we can re-sign AB to a new deal prior to trading him, but i suspect that the 2 players on our side will be our chips. I see it working out for both teams needs/wants wise. Youth movement begins for the Nug Nugs with 2 starters and I would think that Billups will probably ask to be shipped out without Melo on the team and an definite upgrade to their 2 spot.

Rosterbation thoughts:

Lowry/Ish
    Lee/Afflalo
    Melo/Batman
    Scola/Hayes
    Yao/Miller

18. Asian Sensation

Quite frankly I'm not surprised you don't like Melo very much. I can't trust anybody that thought V-span would be the Rockets future starting PG. Also cannot trust anybody who thinks Maggette is a star player.

I'm not the biggest Melo fan either but don't get it twisted. He IS a Superstar.

19. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Come on dude, don't insult Melo like that!
    what has ever done to you?
    can't you call him an ahole or something nicer?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Don't be stupid....I would trade anyone on the team to make it better.

DD