1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soundgarden's Chris Cornell Announces Reunion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hilltopper, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

I was hoping this would happen:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1628964/20100104/soundgarden.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

Jan 4 2010 9:29 AM EST

Soundgarden's Chris Cornell Announces Reunion

'The 12-year break is over and school is back in session,' singer tweets.

Twelve years after calling it quits, legendary grunge band Soundgarden are set to reunite in 2010. Former singer Chris Cornell made the long-hoped-for announcement on New Year's Eve via Twitter.

"The 12-year break is over and school is back in session," Cornell wrote. "Sign up now. Knights of the Soundtable ride again!"

The surprise revelation linked to a Web site that features a picture of the group in action during their heyday and a place for fans to enter their e-mail address to get updates on the reunion. Entering that information unlocks an archival video for the song "Get on the Snake," from the group's second studio album, 1989's Louder Than Love.

One of the most popular rock acts to emerge from the Northwest grunge scene in the late 1980s and early 1990s — alongside Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains — Soundgarden formed in 1984 and scored a string of hit singles with melodic hard-rock anthems such as "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman," anchored by singer Cornell's banshee wail and guitarist Kim Thayil's screaming notes.

Following their acrimonious split, Thayil practically disappeared from the rock map, popping up occasionally at low-key functions, but not producing any significant musical projects. Drummer Matt Cameron released several albums with his garage-rock band Wellwater Conspiracy and joined Pearl Jam as a permanent member in 1998, recording four albums with the group. Bassist Ben Shepherd released the second album by the Soundgarden side project, Hater, in 2005.

Cornell kept the busiest, recording an artsy solo album titled Euphoria Morning in 1999 and forming Audioslave with three former members of Rage Against the Machine. After releasing three albums, he left that band in 2007, dropped the introspective solo album Carry On that year and then teamed up with hip-hop producer Timbaland for a beat-fueled third solo album, last year's Scream, which met with mixed response.

"It's almost like we sealed the lid and said this is Soundgarden and this is its lifespan and put it out there and it looks really great to me," Cornell told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in 2005. "I think getting back together would take the lid off that and then could possibly change what up to now to me seems like the perfect lifespan of the band. I can't think of any reason to mess with that."

But rumors of a possible Soundgarden reconciliation began spreading last year when all the members of the band except Cornell performed in public for the first time together since 1997 at a March stop on Rage guitarist Tom Morello's solo tour in Seattle. At the time, Thayil, Shepherd and Cameron were joined by fellow grunge vet Tad singer Tad Doyle for a short set that included "Spoonman," "Hunted Down" and "Nothing to Say." A short time later, Cornell said that if he'd been in town, he might have jumped up onstage as well.

The singer told Rolling Stone in July that the band was considering releasing a B-side album and a box set of unreleased tunes. In October, he joined Pearl Jam and Cameron onstage for a run through "Hunger Strike," the hit by the grunge-era supergroup Temple of the Dog. Thayil and Shepherd were in the crowd for that gig and reunion discussions reportedly began soon after.

Billboard reported that the group is weighing offers for several major U.S. and international festivals and is in the midst of plotting a tour around Cameron's prior commitment to a spring and summer swing with Pearl Jam.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I spend a lot of time on the Coachella forums and there have been rumors for a few weeks that they would kick off their reunion there.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So I take it the members of Soundgarden didn't hear Cornell's latest solo album? If they did... no way they would want a part of him.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

6. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Yes! SoundGarden, PearlJam, AIC, and Nirvana are my favorite grunge bands.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Because it sucked or because his voice is shot?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Funny how a lack of success away from your bandmates gives you an all new outlook.

;)

DD

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Haha, were there any other grunge bands? :grin:

Maybe Screaming Trees, Soul Asylum, Mudhoney? Anyone else?

Kim Thayil FTW! His guitar sound was pretty awesome.

EDIT: Oh yeah...how could I forget Candlebox and Silverchair.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

This is great news. I was thrilled this fall when I finally had a chance to see Alice in Chains in concert, so this will be even better because it's the complete band.

11. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Haha, forgot about those bands. Mudhoney was a nice band. Stone temple pilots, L7, Mad Season, 7 year B, Mother Love bone etc.

Jerry Cantrell FTW!

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because it sucked. Saw Cornell in Houston actually, like 1-2yrs ago. He could still pull it off.

Silverchair is still around I want to say... they changed up their sound. I actually really liked Diorama, it had lots of strings meshed into it.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The grunge movement was more a trend. Then a lot of "alternative" bands coming out around the same tim ethat didnt want to be lumped into that, though they were using some of the same sounds. Like Smashing Pumpkings, Bush, Silverchair, etc

"When we preteeeend that we're deeaaaad! (C'mon c'mon c'mon...) LOL thanks grunge

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Great news. My fav songs by Soundgarden are "Switch Opens", and "Somewhere".

16. ths balla

ths balla Member

I actually love the new album but I like all the stuff he puts out and am a huge timbaland fan....his voice is actually a lot better than it was 4 years ago when I saw him with Audioslave, saw him 6 months ago and his voice was amazing was shocked at hearing him sing songs like jesus christ pose

17. Ryan Bowen MVP

I always thought he had an annoying voice that sounds like he's just yelling. They only had a couple hit songs anyway.

18. Ryan Bowen MVP

Silverchair is still one of the biggest bands around... in Australia

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Man, I love his voice. Badmotorfinger is one of the best hard rock albums out there. Rusty Cage ftw

Didn't like Audioslave much but would definitely check out a new Soundgarden album...especially if he can still sing

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya its a shame they don't have the Jonas Brothers or Black Eyed Peas owning the continent.

1 person likes this.