1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sound FX] I miss DeMeco

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hairyme, Sep 21, 2012.

1. hairyme

hairyme Member

I was going to post this in the Football section, but if he-who-shall-not-be-named can sneak up in here, then DeMeco certainly deserves some attention:

<a href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelphia-eagles/0ap1000000064114/Sound-FX-DeMeco-Ryans">NFL Sound FX: Demeco Ryans (Eagles vs Ravens)</a>

I'm at least glad Rick sent him to a good situation where he could contribute and resume his former glory...

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Hey we got a good pick for him. Hasn't been the same after his injury and didn't fit the new scheme well. I ain't mad.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Have you watched him play this year!?! He is incredible. Back to the old Demico. He fits in Philly better than he did here because of the scheme but let's not kid ourselves because he's still a great player and I'll miss him as the leader of the Texans D until someone else takes his place.

4. liljojo

liljojo Member

Congratulations to DeMeco on his first ever win vs the Ravens.

We'll be right behind you, buddy.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

scheme has a lot to do with that. Like you and I said, it's all about the scheme. I don't think there's any way he would play that well with us if we kept him. I am perrrrrfectly content with our linebacking corp at the moment.

6. conquistador#11

I wanted philly to include their capologist in that trade, oh well. =(
    It's good that he landed in a perfect situation. Next year eagles sign jake long and dwayne bowe while remaining 100 million under the cap.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You must be realted to Bradie James then because he sucks balls

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Repeating BS that you've seen others say doesn't make it true. Reggie Herring said that James gave them everything they lost with Ryans and more, too. Complete horse crap.

The Texans had to make extremely hard decisions this offseason, and Winston and Ryans were two of the toughest ones. I'm not angry at the team - this is natural in a hard cap league. But to try and claim that the right side of the line and the ILBs (Cushing aside) are on par with last year is a crock.

It's comical how so many folks keep ducking behind this line.....and can't back it up with any actual reasoning. The guy that was an awkward fit in the scheme was Mario. 9+ months and there's yet to be one single person here or among Wade's staff to put forward any semblance of an explanation about how Ryans didn't fit the scheme (or how James does).

You can't pay Ryans his big contract if your scheme goes nickel so much, just say that. It's fine. But don't try and say he couldn't play his role adequately.

#8 emjohn, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

After trading Ryans, I think that the Texans' plan had a lot to do with Sharpton being healthy.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think trading Demeco had more to do with keeping Schaub, Brown, and Barwin. I think the Texans would have still done trade if they knew Sharpton wasn't going to be healthy. They just would have worked harder to get another ILB.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

absolutely. Sharpton, when he did play, played very well. Hopefully he can come back and stay healthy the rest of the season.

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Man that guy is a motor, I'd love to have him on my team. One of the best ILB in the league up there with Willis, Beason & Sugar.

13. hairyme

hairyme Member

Totally agreed. I don't necessarily fault the front office for having some cap casualties and whatnot... but I can still get disappointed the next time James can't stop an RB or when our offensive line can't give Arian a path! The coaches have/need to carry on with the company line and insist we haven't lost anything, but we as fans don't need to delude ourselves. We still have a great team--I'm not worried... yet.

Has there been any indication that Sharpton will be back anytime soon? I can't recall hearing anything about him lately.

14. Marteen

Marteen Member

I've been watching Texans' games since '06, and he would be one of the few bright spots on the team when they were losing games. I was proud as a fan when he represented the team in the Pro Bowl, so it's a bit sad seeing him play for another team. I wish him nothing but the best. Imagine seeing the Eagles vs. Texans in the Super Bowl.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why is this in the TEXANS forum? :confused:

Anyway, he's a good player NOW... we should have kept him... but no longer a Texan. Sorry. :eek:

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Good for him, in the end he was a cap casualty, like Winston. Both good players though, hope they do well.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Good to see him doing well with the Eagles...the Texans did put in him in a great situation...wish him the best...

18. plee

plee Member

I went back and watched the last game and to be honest James did not play bad, actually some of the big runs were away from James. You have to remember in passing situations James/DeMeco are not in the game, they go with a 4/3 and Cush is in the middle (which seems to be quite a bit in the last game). Basically, DeMeco would be in on 1st and maybe 2nd down, your not going to pay him what he was making. My guess a restructured contract was not going to happen so they did the right thing by trading him so he could play every down.

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Anyone that says Ryans doesn't fit the scheme wasn't paying attention in the playoffs, he were he was playing like the DeMeco of old after finally recovering from his arm injury in training camp and he previous injury.

The team wanted to dump salary and DeMeco was one of their options, because the coaches loved the idea of Cushing and Sharpton taking over. Sharpton however was/is still injured and Bradie James who probably was meant to provide veteran leadership for the linebackers in Wade's system was brought in. DeMeco was a financial move to allow the team to secure Schaub and Brown by removing his contract from next year's cap.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I was pissed when Demeco got traded. The heart and soul of the defense. But I guess like emjohn said, it's a was a hard cap decision and I'm sure they probably made the best choice going forward for the team. Eagles defense is looking pretty damn good though.