1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

someone explain to me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yonasb, Dec 22, 2008.

1. yonasb

yonasb Member

I didnt watch the Twolves game but i just read the box score and Yao only had 7 rebounds :( :confused: :eek: :mad:

how the hell are you the biggest man in the league and only snag 7 rebounds??

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

good lord really? yao has been a relatively terrible rebounder for a man his size. a lot of times rebound has to do with being quick both to get to the ball and getting off the floor, yao is neither.

3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I remember a game when he got 4...

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, does it really matter? Its not like we lost the game. Yao isn't athletic enough to grab ALL the rebounds like Dwight Howard.

Give it a freaking rest. Do you guys cringe when there is a long rebound and the only 2 Rockets around are AB and Yao, and AB snatches the ball from Yao?

5. kingk0ng

kingk0ng Member

Where were you when he only grabbed 4 rebounds that one game?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Relative to who?

7. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

omg!!!

LEAVE YAO ALONE!!!!

8. yonasb

yonasb Member

lol yao is my man...i got love for him but i want him to focus more on the boards...

there is no reason for AB to snag double digit boards and for the TWOLVES to grab over double the amount of Offensive rebounds than us

Yao is a beast when he wants to be, i just want him to be a beast on the defense

9. jVgOwnsYou

so long as we win the team rebounding stat, and we get a win, does it really matter?

Look at it this way....If Yao is taking most of our shots, he will have less opportunities for offensive rebounds. Also, now that we're making more of our shots, less opportunities for rebounds.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He rests on the rebounds, doesn't aggressively pursue them....let's Scola and Landry get them.

He could do a lot better, but as long as the team wins, who really cares?

DD

11. jVgOwnsYou

Also, when you conscider that Yao was guarding jefferson for most of the game, it makes even more sense. Jefferson took like 30 shots, how is yao going to get a rebound when he is contesting a shot.

12. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Yao had a tough match up on a second night of back to back on the road, give the man a break.

I was surprised to find out that Jefferson is having a better season than Yao.
    Is Yao now the third best center in the NBA???

13. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Yea like game 7 vs the Jazz. I'm not hating on him but when it counts he needs to go after them. Sometimes he looks like he's stuck in quicksand.

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Rebounding is about preparation and anticipation. Yao sometimes boxes out well (meaning he fights to get in front of his man) but sometimes he is too far under the basket to be effective. He also lets guys explode around him to snag the board before he can get to it, negating all of his hard work boxing out. He also seems like he doesn't understand where the ball will bounce off the rim after a shot. Watch Chuck, he knows where the ball is going and alot of times he doesn't have to jump very high to get it.

Rebounding is a skill. A skill Yao could work on. Its not just about being athletic or tall.

15. bucket

bucket Member

The Timberwolves are 4-22. Maybe we can talk when Jefferson puts up numbers on a team that's above .500, much less the Mendoza line.

16. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

We might not need his rebounding against Minnesota but we probably will need them in our upcoming games against the Cavs and the Hornets.

17. jaylee777

jaylee777 Member

This is spot on. He boxes out his man (and at times more than just his) very well in the games that other players rebound stats look good and his dont. And he is limited in his rebounding skills, which is probably why he concentrates on boxing out opposing players to help his players get them.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yao had 7 against Denver, 6 against Sacramento, and 4 against Minnesota. But this thread didn't appear after the Nugs and Kings games probably because Yao went nuts on the offensive end. To a certain extent, I think others picking up slack on the boards allows Yao to expend more energy on the offensive end which is partially why he had back to back 30 point games. TMac took up the slack against Dever. Against Sacramento it was Scola and Landry and in Minnesota it was Brooks and Hayes. As mentioned, the T-Wolves game was the 2nd night of a back to back and lots of minutes on consecutive night tend to wear big guys down. And of course, Yao is the biggest of them all. He still might have gotten close to 30 against the Wolves had the refs not decided to completely swallow their whistles. What sucks is that we're in a 4 game/5 night stretch with a streaking Cavs team waiting at the end.

Anyway, we've also been shooting the ball really well lately which has limited opportunities for offensive rebounds. Our opponents have been around 45% as well which limits defensive rebound opportunities. That probably has something to do with it.

19. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Pls, re-watch the game that was long rebounds and one of them was taken away from Shane not Yao.

Long Rebounds are the job of the guards and small forward to chase. Center protect the paint. That is basketball fundamentals.

20. yeah

yeah Member