1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Some thoughts...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketteen, Jul 2, 2001.

1. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

I'm not even going to pretend that I'm a cap expert, but I think I do know a few tidbits about it that have brought some questions to my mind...Starting with:

1)I believe that we have a 4.5 mil exception, which can be used to sign multiple players. If I'm not mistaken though, we lose it once we get under the cap. If that is true, and the Rockets must re-sign or renounce Hakeem b/f we are able to re-sign our own free agents, then the Rockets must actually sign outside free agents to the exception b/f even dealing w/ Hakeem.

2)Continuing off of #1, I believe the 18th is the first day that we can sign free agents. I predict that there will be lots of rumors about possible players signing with the Rockets for the exception leading up to the 18th. Some possible players would be Jerome Williams, possibly Alvin Williams, Nazr Mohammed, Brad Miller if his release option is exercised and Fred Hoiberg can be had cheap.

3) I hear that the Mavericks may offer their 4.5 exception for Moochie. First off, Cuban is stupid for overpaying someone who's 2nd highest offer would be around a million a year. This would also upset me greatly b/c I really like Moochie and he is perfect here for this team...although I would not fault him for taking about 4.5 half times what he would be making if he were to re-sign w/ the Rocks. If Moochie were to be snatched from us, his spot would likely be filled w/ Robert Pack if the price is right or Houstonian, Damon Jones...that is unless Sean Colson impresses beyond belief.

4)We have heard rumors that Orlando may try and create cap room and give up some nice players for very cheap. I would love Mike Miller but we are already stacked at the 2 and the 3 and he would push our other guys down the chart. I do like Outlaw though. I like his energy and his defense and his ability to play C, Pf and Sf. Although, if I had my choice, I would go after younger guys with more upside (Jerome Williams/Etan Thomas), but he is a great option for a bench player. I like K. Thomas but I think we can do much better than him.

These are just some thoughts of mine, feel free to post your own and to correct any of my mistakes that I may have made.

------------------

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Sorry but once we are under the cap, we can't get the 4.5 exception this summer. I have heard this somewhere but don't know if it is true.

------------------
    Stevierebel

3. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

whats the point of all this Jibber-Jabber?

------------------
    "The early bird may get the worm, but so does the bird that finished off the tequila bottle the night before" :)

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That would not help anything because we use the exception and then sign dream to a smaller contract then we would be below the cap anyway. That makes the exception contract not an exception contract after all. Now if we signed Dream to a huge contract then we would have the exception anyway. Either way it does not help us.

------------------

5. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

With the exception, what I'm talking about is we have to use it b/f we sign Dream. Right now, his contract is counting like double against our cap so we are way over. If we resign dream to a lower contract putting us below the cap, I believe we lose our exception and won't be able to sign anyone w/ it. What I was saying was that b/f Dream either signs or we renounce him, there is a possibility that we sign someone of our own or an outside free agent to the exception b/f we do anything w/ Dream.

------------------