1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solid effort by Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamCassell, Oct 30, 2001.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I've taken my share of shots at the guy over the last season or so, questioning Kelvin's heart and cajones. So I wanted to give credit where it was due: I really liked what I saw from him tonight.

We gave up some easy baskets in the first quarter, but very few after that. Both Cato and Kenny Thomas were part of a solid interior defensive effort. KC's stat line (9 points, 12 boards, 2 blocks) doesn't do justice to his contributions tonight, including drawing a critical charging call late in the fourth quarter and then hitting a big jumper in overtime. I was impressed.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

yep. Cato did great....

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he didn't miss that dunk in the first half, he would have had a double double. If he averages a double double by the all-star break I will jump on the bandwagon faster than Francis can blow by me on a basketball court.

4. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

If he continues to play like that all season, we'll definitely shock more than a few people.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Also consider he did it against a pretty good frontline! He was helping Rahim from over the top with some nice defensive stops. I tell you, getting Willis was the best thing we ever did! Granted Cato would have probably played hard without Willis, but Willis is showing him the tricks of the trade and some veteran moves. Willis thinks he can be an elite center, keep doing what he does and he could very easily be a Theo Ratliff style center, and I'd take that any day of the week!

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I wonder why Cato couldn't learn from Dream?

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I can't lie I have been a Cato basher in the past, but tonight I was suprised to see Cato's new found sense of giving a damn, I look foward to seeing more of this, lets hope his intensity stays this high all season, and for the remainder of his career as a Rocket. Its gonna be a great season.

8. Moses

Moses Member

I havent seen any of the Rockets yet being in New York but it sounds like he's working very hard. I'm pulling for the guy. we need him to step up and play big. Especially on defense.

9. Miggidy Markell

I don't really think that Dream would be a great meantor for Cato. Willis is a hard nose player, he may not have the skills that Hakeem had, but he let's himself be known and is willing to pass that on to others. Hakeem seems quiet and more as if he is "fock assing" on his own game.

10. Band Geek Mobster

I don't think Willis really deserves the credit for what Cato's doing since Cato was basically doing this the whole preseason. Kelvin's said different times that the man that's been talking to him and supporting him the most has been Glen Rice, not Willis.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I gotta give credit to CBFC as being one of the first guys to say that Cato would give a solid contribution this season. I know we are far from a full season's contribution, but Cato looks determined, and if he can stay healthy, I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to duplicate tonight's performance.

Like CBFC, I am pulling for the Ford Taurus, or the Chrysler Sebring, or whatever the hell car Cato was. Keep on truckin'. :D

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree that Hakeem isn't a great mentor for other C/PFs, but for a different reason, it is because he is was athletic freak. Though he does it is different ways, him (unparelled quickness and coordination for a guy his size) and Shaq (unparelled strength and solid quickness/coordination) just have games you can't learn much from IMO because they athleticly dominate more so than with savy, positioning on the floor, or their BB minds. That is why IMO Dream effectiveness fell so quickley with his declining athleticism (though he still is quick/coordinated for a guy his size there are others that can match him or even beat him in this regard now). Most low post players could learn a lot more from a Willis, late-stage Barkley, or gasp, even Karl Malone.