1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Soccer help/suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ROXRAN, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

My wife is now a new coach for a rec. league. It's very exciting. I'm listed as a mentor as well. The sister in law is a asst. coach and another mom is the co-head coach. (although not too helpful)

I found myself playing more and almost got the Beckham Nike Predator shoes, but thought white isn't all that and got another brand made with real kangaroo leather. It's great-performs great and black.

The thing is getting some of the girls to know the roles, know strategy...sure we need to coach them on skills, but considering the first game, I think my wife now realizes the importance of formations...

It's U10 girls, 6 v 6

What formation is recommended. Only one with really good speed. 2 without experience, 2 with only 1 year of experience...

Is a 1-1-3 best, or the more common 2-1-2...
    Or should a simple 3-2 or 2-3 be best and why...

Thanks
    ROXRAN

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Depends on the girls. If you've got one who has some ball handling skills (leave it alone, pervs), she should be your central midfielder. I wouldn't have the inexperienced players in the same position (i.e. both as defenders). Spread out the weakness...if that's what they are. You should probably use the faster player up front. I'd go with a 2-1-2. Don't even attempt any thing that doesn't have a midfield player. You don't want that gap in between.

That said, at that age, don't stress positions that much. Teach them all total soccer. They should all be able to defend and attack. With 6v6, everybody should be playing on both sides of the ball.

Finally, Beckham products and the Predator line are both Adidas. Please don't mix up nike crap for Adidas beauty.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I would suggest to solidify the defense with the best stoppers and those "football savvy" that can lead the mids and forwards to score. A great attack can start from the defenders spreading the ball up to the midfield and forwards. :eek:

When I was playing amateur with this good, no GREAT, team, I was given a chance to play ONCE with some top players... one of them, a veteran guy who had been with that team for a long time, was their leading scorer, but he switched to a stopper/sweeper position because we were short 2 players and so I played the entire game, and he sent me to the midfield. His directions to the rest of us were: "I don't care if we don't score, we at least won't let THEM score on us." We ended up tying in the last minute 'cuz he sent a nice ball over their attack and I was able to center it in on a counter, where we caught the other team sleeping.

Nonetheless, I'd like to say I would ALWAYS solidify the D. Good luck, sir.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

What area of town is this? I have a daughter that is 8 yrs old and I can't seem to find an all girls team for her age. She's in the Tomball area.

5. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

It's better to send your daughter to a foreign country like Italy or England where the soccer is as popular as basketball is in US. US women soccer team is pretty good but I'm afraid it won't last long if we only spend our dollars and time on bball games, I mean Basketball and Baseball games. :D Football is pretty similar to soccer but it's not very fit for girls I'm afraid. :(

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Teach them not to kick the ball with their toes -- make them kick the ball with their shoelaces. Reward them for staying in position and not 'beehiving'.

7. ROXRAN

I'm sorry. I live in Nashville now...BTW, not long ago teamUSA beat trinidad at LP field (I didn't see it...:( ) for a World Cup qualifying seed...During the orientation of Coaching training, the trainer was supposedly one of the guest coaches of team USA ..Very cool...He was an english dude with unbelievable conditioning...

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

By watching the World Cup, I think the best idea is to tie each player's shoelaces together so that they constantly fall down and look like they are in horrible pain. :confused: This is not a game I understand.

9. ROXRAN

B-Bob, Just a couple years ago, I had no idea what a forward was besides in basketball...I use to hate it, till I got my daughters into it for fun and fitness...All of a sudden, I'm drawn into it and I've picked up decent footwork skills. I have lost a little weight, gained some conditioning, and because of that I have more appreciation of the sport.

More than anything, this is my first "volunteer/mentor" type work. It's both more work than myself or the wife thought, but also more fun than we thought...

10. ROXRAN

Thanks for the advice earlier, now for the shoe my error :eek: .....The brand I got was Diadora...felt best, although I liked the Predator shoes as well (Not the Beckham endorsed one)...

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, ROXRAN. I am just trying to crack wise so that I can get TWO cubes of soylent green near my name.

To be honest, my cousin's daughter plays in leagues nearby, and I've gone to dozens of games and find myself jumping up and down cheering. This is VERY unusual for me, so I sympathize completely. This kid is a complete studette, by the way.

Kudos to you and your wife for the volunteer/mentor work. That is my single New Year's resolution... to get more involved in such.