1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

so where do we stand in the West?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valio!, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Valio!

Valio! Member

This may be early - WAY too early...but I'm excited about last night's trade. Let's see where - at this early premature moment - the Rockets stand...(<--> = same as last year, ^ = will improve, v = will decline)

<-->Lakers...still have almost everybody...still the biggest mountain to climb

<-->San Antonio...still san antonio, sorta..aging players and potential lost players almost made me give them a V

(V)Utah...just older

(V)Phoenix...Kidd for Marbury? I dont think so

(??) Kings..no idea yet

(V) Portland...team of forwards...

(^) Rockets...yoiu know why

(??) Seattle...depends who they get for Payton

(^) Clippers...I never thought I;d say this, but these guys are starting to scare the hell out of me

(??) Vancouver/Memphis...um...

(^) Dallas...just getting more experienced

(V) Golden State...Im just assuming they will decline...

(V) Denver..I see no reason why this team will improve from last year...at this point

(<-->) Minnesota...KG gets stronger, everything else remains blah...

Ups: 3(Rockets, Clippers Dallas)
    Downs: 4(Utah, Phoenix, Portland, GS, Denver)
    Same: 3(LAkers, SA,Min)
    ??: 3(Seattle, Vancouver, Sac)

I know..not really insightful at this point..but I gotta do something until the season starts...Still, I dont thing anyone will be ableto stop the rockets from making the playoffs (need to sign Taylor)..

------------------
    "Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease." - George W.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Valio!

If Woods stays healthy then Minnesota could be greatly improved. Their front court would be Woods, Garnett, Wallyworld. On top of that they would still have Brandon at the point. That sounds like a very scary team to me.

------------------

3. KD

KD Member

No way San Antonio can go back to the top.
    I say their regular season record will not be in the top 2 in the west. Their showing in the playoff was demoralizing enough to ruin players, potential players, fans and management, and even Tim Duncan.

------------------

4. Valio!

Valio! Member

Crash, good point...yeah,I thought about giving minn a ^ because of Woods but he is still a question mark because of the ol' foot...

------------------
    "Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease." - George W.

5. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

Of the playoff teams from this year, I think that the acquisition of Griffin vaults the Rockets past Allas, Phoenix, Minnesota, Utah, Portland, and Sac-town if they lose Webber.

I say Allas because there is most certainly no "D" in Dallas. That team is atrocious defensively. In terms of offensive talent, we are very similar to Allas, but we now have a legit defensive presence in Griffin.

Sac-town if they keep Webber is better than the Rockets because the Bibby upgrade over J Will is substantial

Portland could go either way, to the Finals, or the lottery. They have the talent to go all the way, but the attitude of a losing team

As for Phoenix, I think they weakened themselves by trading Kidd for Marbury a tad

The Clippers and Rockets should be the 2 most improved teams in the West next year

LA still the team to beat clearly, and SA is probably ahead of us still by a little, but that team aside from Duncan is old as dirt. And I think KD's point about the way they lost to LA as being a huge mental obstacle is valid. I could see them falling apart next year.

------------------
    Get Cato out of there...

6. RocksMillenium

If the Sprewell deal goes through, the Kings become a handful with a backcourt of Bibby and Spree. If we get an extra big man, or re-sign Hakeem, then I think we're a 7 seed in the West. Woods impoves Minnesota, but I think we still vault over the Timberpuppies.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

7. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

The Lakers, Suns, Mavs and Spurs should all be back in the playoffs next year.

The Blazers are a huge ? mark with their lack of chemistry. I expect a few trades this offseason to shake things up.

The Kings will be back in if Webber resigns or if they had a good replacement. Bibby was a huge upgrade for them and if they get Spree, Webber will definitely resign and then watch out.

The T-Wolves are a tossup. They won't improve much and they may not have enough to beat out the Rockets next year.

The Jazz are old but if they get KVH, they could still be in the mix.

The Clippers will be better but won't make the playoffs next year without a better PG. The Rockets are better than they are at this point.

The Rockets will be better next year, even if we don't get Webber. The only way the Rockets won't make the playoffs next year is if Cato is starting for us. Agree?? Griffin will ne great at the 3 and Mo T should be better. If Hakeem stays healthy, watch out.

------------------
    President of the Eddie Griffin fan club.

8. Digaida

Digaida Member

Realistically I believe we will be 5-7 seed. With the chemistry we already had, included with extra experience, Griffin, and maybe a free agent, I definitely think we move ahead of Seattle(stay ahead more like it), Minnesota, Phoenix(Marbury instead of Kidd screws a lot of chemistry), and Portland.

IMHO I think Clips will make a big jump, similar to our jump to 45 wins, but it takes maturity and experience to get into Playoffs, don;t think they can do it just like that....

opinions opinions opinions

------------------