1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, enough feel good stories about South Africa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pharaoh King, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Because this is really what is taking place under the radar that you won't hear about from FIFA or South African officials in interest of promoting this feel good World Cup story.

Seriously, how the hell did FIFA pick this dump over Morocco and Egypt for the first African-hosted World Cup probably ever? Nothing like FIFA playing politics with soccer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/01/south-africa-world-cup-blikkiesdorp

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So Pharaoh King wants the World Cup in Egypt...big surprise.

:p

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You're kidding right?

If you want the World Cup in a country without issues, Africa is basically a continent you just can't consider. Egypt and Morocco? I admit to not being up to date on Morocco, but my understanding is both have human rights issues going on to this day. Both have issues with their governments.

But I'm not surprised since you seem to be a big fan of Egypt.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I thought Egypt considered itself to be a Middle Eastern country?

5. HombreDeHierro

its balls hot in Morocco and Egypt...

its like the Super Bowl so its in a cold place

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you have a World Cup in Morocco or Egypt you are asking for a terrorist attack.

7. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

lol basically thats it. Anyhow, South Africa was the best choice.

8. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Well, it had to be awarded to an African country anyways, so yeah. I am not even being biased to Egypt, and in fact I thought Morocco was more deserving and a nicer destination for the average European going there.

Terrorist attacks? LOL! I would bet everything I have that the Egyptians would handle security a thousand times better than South Africans can ever dream of. Egypt is a police state, and clearly it is not about human rights or crime rate or prostitution or any other crap because then SA would be near the bottom of the list. Heck, I would take Ghana over South Africa. Nigeria would have probably been the only choice that is worse than SA.

I don't hate South Africa and I am not even advocating that Egypt should have gotten it, I am telling you right now that Morocco should have been awarded that opportunity. But at the end of the day, in terms of safety, crime rates, prostitution, diseases like HIV-AIDS and the underlying racial tensions in the country, there is no doubt that out of those 3 countries South Africa scores dead last.

Morocco, Ghana, Tunisia, and a few others would have been safer destinations. I seriously thought about going but then I immediately reconsidered because I am terrified of going to South Africa for any reason, let alone a global event like the World Cup.

9. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Hardly, any idiot can you tell you it is not. It was largely a political decision by the FIFA because Europeans thought it would be a much more inspirational story about how far South Africa has come politically. I am fine with that but I really just don't think it is a safe country. Security, not human rights or anything else, MUST be the top priority and consideration for any event of this magnitude, Olympics or World Cup.

Oh well, I hope everything works out well and Africa is presented well :eek:

10. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Logistically, I admit it would have worked out GREAT for me, but in all honesty Morocco had the better portfolio, and the Egyptian sporting authorities did such a poor ass job in making their case that they simply did not deserve it, they did not even put forth the effort to show the FIFA they were serious about hosting the World Cup. So no hard feelings there at all, but the alternative is worse in my opinion (South Africa).

Madagascar wasn't available? :grin:

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did either of these two countries even submit a bid for the WC?

12. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

They did, I believe. But like I said, Egypt completely botched their presentation and apparently their portfolio was riddled with spelling errors and quality control in producing those documents alone was lacking. Later on, the sporting authorities in Egypt admitted they did not care as much as they should have about lobbying for the WC. This admission only came after the officials felt the public backlash from the people who were upset about the government squandering this rare opportunity. So in short, Egypt did not present itself well and did not deserve the WC. But from what I read when the FIFA made its decision, Morocco put forth a terrific bid and everyone (including the Egyptians later on) were baffled as to how Morocco did not get the WC, while South Africa did.

13. Ari

Ari Member

I know I would have definitely preferred visiting Egypt or Morocco if I were a soccer tourist, or any kind of tourist really.

Still, I think FIFA should have waited another decade or more until African nations had progressed a little more before awarding this thing to 'em. I have never been to Morocco, but I have been to Egypt and I gotta admit, there is tons of shiznit to do there.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Egyptians burn an Algerian flag while hundreds gathered for the second day in a row to protest near the Algerian embassy in Cairo on November 20, 2009.

[​IMG]

(AP) CAIRO — Egyptian soccer fans burned Algerian flags and rioted outside the Algerian Embassy in Cairo, smashing cars and shop windows, in an escalating row between the two countries over a bitter World Cup rivalry.

Egyptian fans – and the country's media – have been thrown into a frenzy over reports that Algerians attacked and injured Egyptians after their countries' teams squared off in a World Cup qualifier in the Sudanese capital Khartoum this week. Algeria won the game 1-0, giving them a spot in the 2010 Cup in South Africa.

Several hundred Egyptian fans rampaged in the streets around the Algerian Embassy overnight into the early hours Friday, scuffling with black-uniformed riot police. It began as a protest, with demonstrators beating drums, shooting jets of flame from aerosol cans and shouting obscenities and slogans against Algerians.

When riot police prevented them from getting close to the embassy, the demonstrators threw stones, smashed nearby cars and windows of shops and ransacked a gas station. Some fans, unable to reach the Algerians, pelted the nearby Indian Embassy with stones. [lol?] The Interior Ministry said 11 police and 24 protesters were injured, 20 people arrested and 15 vehicles damaged.

During the day Friday, scattered groups of dozens of fans shouted and burned flags near the embassy, kept from the building by multiple lines of riot police with helmets and batons.

In a country where political demonstrations are rare and heavily suppressed by security forces, Egypt's soccer protests was an unusual show of anger in the streets.

The rivalry has brought violence from both sides the past week.

Wednesday's match in Khartoum was a playoff after Egypt beat Algeria in a match Saturday in Cairo, 2-0. Before Saturday's game, Egyptian fans pelted a bus carrying the Algerian team with stones and injured three players. Afterward, 32 people were injured in clashes between Egyptian and Algerian fans. Algerians ransacked offices of Egyptian companies in Algiers.

Following Algeria's win, Egyptian fans were attacked in Khartoum. Protests have erupted outside the Algerian Embassy in Khartoum repeatedly since.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/20/egyptian-soccer-fans-riot_n_365322.html

------------------

Egypt-Algeria World Cup anger turns violent in Cairo

Riot police in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, quelled a violent demonstration near the Algerian embassy in the early hours of Friday.
    Egyptian protesters reportedly hurled firebombs at police protecting the embassy and overturned a police van.
    Egypt's interior ministry said 35 people were injured.
    The clashes stem from Egypt's defeat by Algeria in a World Cup qualifying match on Wednesday, securing Algeria the last African place for next year's finals.
    On Friday Alaa Mubarak, the son of Egypt's president Hosni Mubarak, made a rare public statement calling for a "tough stance" to be taken against Algeria.
    "When you insult my dignity... I will beat you on the head," the businessman, who had attended the game in Khartoum, told a TV news programme. [wtf is it with some people and "insulting their dignity"??!]

On Thursday night around 1,000 Egyptians burned Algerian flags in a street near the Algerian embassy.
    The protests continued into the morning, with 15 cars reported damaged, along with a number of shops. The ministry said 11 police officers were among the injured.
    On Friday afternoon, worshippers leaving a mosque in the neighbouring Mohandisseen district gathered after prayers to again burn Algerian flags and chant anti-Algerian slogans.
    Protesters were incensed by reports that Egyptian fans at the match had been attacked as they left the stadium.
    "We should treat Algeria like any country that has declared war on us," university student Amr Higazi told Agence France Presse.
    The BBC's Christian Fraser in Cairo says demonstrations like this are normally broken up well before they begin.
    Meanwhile, Egypt has threatened to quit international football for two years after complaining to world football governing body Fifa over Algerian fans' behaviour in Khartoum.
    The statement by Egypt's Football Federation added: "Egyptian fans, officials and players put their lives at risk before and after the game, under threat from weapons, knives, swords and flares."
    If Egypt do not go through with their threat, there is a chance the teams could meet again in less than three months in the Cup of African Nations, hosted by Angola.
    The two teams were drawn in different groups at Friday's ceremony but could meet each other in the later stages.

Diplomatic spat
    Egypt's foreign ministry had summoned the Algerian ambassador to hear complaints about reports of attacks on Egyptian fans in Khartoum and on Egyptian businesses in Algeria.
    The Egyptian ambassador in Algiers was than recalled "for consultations".
    Sudan has also summoned the Egyptian envoy in Khartoum, angry at Egyptian media coverage of the game's aftermath.
    The Egyptian government alleges 21 of its citizens were attacked after the match, but Sudan says many fewer were injured.
    The teams needed the play-off in a neutral country to decide on qualification after the final group match between them on Saturday saw Egypt win 2-0, meaning the two teams finished tied at the top of the group with equal points and identical goal difference.
    Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Egypt after the Algerian team bus was pelted with stones in Cairo before the match.
    Three Algerian players were injured by rocks thrown as they arrived.
    Violence between Egypt and Algeria fans flared up across four countries.

FOOTBALL FALL-OUT
    1978: Egyptian team recalled part-way through All Africa Games in Algeria after brawl following win over Libya. Algerian spectators joined in on Libyan side
    1989: Egypt beat Algeria to reach Italia 90. After the match, midfielder Lakhdar Belloumi blinded the Egyptian team doctor with a bottle
    1990: Egypt refused to send its team to African Nations Cup in Algeria
    2009: Striker Hossam Hassan and brother Ibrahim Hassan banned indefinitely by Fifa after a brawl following a club game in Algeria

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8369983.stm

-----------

Doesn't sound greatly helpful for an application to host one of the next world cups. What is it between Egypt and Algeria? (I am not familiar with why they would not like each other.)

15. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Are you kidding? You are European, right? :grin: Just a bunch of soccer hooligans nothing more, no one died or anything. Happens in 'civilized' Europe almost after every soccer match, let alone these were THE deciding games that determined which team would qualify to the World Cup.

By the way, the decision to host the World Cup for these 2010 tournament was decided something like 3 years ago or maybe more, in 2006 I think. Waaaaaaaaay before these Algeria-Egypt soccer matches. Anywho, the worst violence took place in Sudan which was just out of control with both countries busing in their fans and them clashing and beating each other after the game.

16. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Oh, and so it begins :eek: :eek:

Like I said, I just hope these games go off without any major violence, like bombings or a bunch of team players getting held hostage by gun-toting thugs. Or even players sleeping around with prostitutes and catching HIV. Actually scratch the last one, those players would be dumb to venture out and do that so it would be self-inflicted.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

North Korea would have been a safer pick than South Africa.

18. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Unfortunately, you are right :eek:

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, I'm going there, so the wishes of some of you might come true :grin:.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I was reading an article this AM that said not only did SA build all the stadiums and promised infrastructure on time, but they did so within budget.

What am I supposed to be concerned about here? I mean if Egypt can't even assemble a brochure...