1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleeping Pills Linked to Almost Fourfold Increase in Death Risk

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheGreat, Feb 27, 2012.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

melatonin OTC, people should look into it. pretty good sleeping aid

2. s land balla

s land balla Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Blah, who cares. Seems everything that is able to be ingested is deadly now. I take Restoril maybe twice a week, and it worked great last night. No hangover, taken at midnight, slept great.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

This x1000

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not anti science.
    I am not for there being a pill for everything.
    I see folx that one pill for something. Then another for the side effects of the first pill.
    I see pills imo being over prescribed.
    I see recalls too often.
    I see abuse too often
    I see people try to solve problems with drugs that have more non pharmaceutical solutions
    Because we want the quick fix.
    I see we have alternatives that just might be safer.

Rocket River
    I don't think scientist are the end all be all authority on everything
    And that they are infallible.

6. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Member

Tylenol is still one of the safest drugs out there. NSAIDS like ibuprofen come with their own side-effects and should not be taken by people with kidney disease, ulcers, etc. Depends on the patient.

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Bill Maher is a fool. The reason people die on downers is because uppers don't kill you nearly as easily. The difference in effective dose and lethal dose on sleeping and pain meds is paper thin, but on stimulants there are orders of magnitudes of difference.

Then people get all revved up on the stimulants and can't sleep so they take Ambien.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not as safe as ibuprofen, IMO, but any of these drugs should be used with caution. A plus with ibuprofen, as I mentioned earlier, is that it's better at reducing inflammation, which can contribute to pain, pain being why these meds are taken, of course. While not an MD by a long shot, I've suffered from chronic pain for several years now, and do know something about the subject and the various ways used to treat it. Having said that, Tylenol and Tylenol based pain meds do work fine for many people as long as they are careful not to ingest too much acetaminophen.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

An EMT friend of mine once told me that they get more acetaminophen overdoses than any other drug. This happens for two reasons:

1. Ibuprofen and Aspirin allow the user to take stronger doses for worse pain. How many people have been prescribed prescription Ibuprofen? They equal something like 6-8 OTC pills. People think that since you can do that with those drugs, you can do the same with acetaminophen.

2. Acetaminophen has a big advantage: it doesn't upset your stomach like Ibuprofen and Aspirin can. This is also a disadvantage. ODs don't get sick and throw up the extra medicine while at the same time it is shutting down their liver.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i think its because people take them with alcohol

12. Montaquilla

Montaquilla Member

some people have crazy insomnia. THey need this stuff.

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

As someone who has been trying for nearly three years to arrive at the proper cocktail of psychiatric medication, having agreed on doctors' orders to become sober in order to do so, this saying drives me, well, it drives me crazy.

I quit drinking and recreational drug use and wound up on six crazymeds at the same time instead, having tried more than a dozen. I am slowly weaning myself off as many as possible but one thing they don't tell you when they put you on these meds is that some of them are nearly impossible to get off of. Before beginning an SSRI, I had never been on a drug other than nicotine that I found it difficult to get off of. Even with more than 20 years of binge drinking, 5-6 nights/week, I suffered no withdrawal symptoms when quitting. I've never been addicted to anything but nicotine and anti-depressants. And the withdrawal symptoms from SSRI's are ****ing brutal. If you are one of the unlucky ones, like me, you seriously have to lie flat with the lights out for hours at a time as you wean yourself over months. And you are hardly useful at all at work and need extended leaves while getting used to each new, loser dose. All that for a drug that made me marginally better for a few months and then way worse for a few years.

So yeah, I'm not all that into getting sober only to fill up my medicine cabinet with doctor approved drugs.

I also suffer from extreme insomnia and have tried every possible medication for it apart from Ambien (I have a history with sleepwalking and the sleepdriving horror stories scared me too badly) and none has worked until I got on a cocktail of Seroquel (anti-psychotic), Tizanidine (muscle relaxer) and Klonopin (for anxiety). So now I take five drugs in the morning and three at night. When I drank I passed out every night and slept through the night, no problem.

So I have become rather ambivalent over years of treatment (and sobriety) with regard to prescription pills.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Nancy Reagan told us to just say no.

Look where we are 30 years later.

:(

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Like beatings!

See: 9 year old child dies from horrendous punishment thread/RR recommends a return to spanking children as discipline.

16. droopy421

droopy421 Member

How about the quick fix like psychiatric cocktails you are ready for people to take? :rolleyes:

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Psychiatric meds should be a thing of last resort (which was pretty much the point of my post) and I don't recommend them to anyone unless they absolutely need them. Considering I have manic depression (bipolar 1), I don't have any choice. All you took from my post, while getting it entirely wrong, was that I was on psychiatric meds and you immediately jumped to turning that into a bad thing. What a dick.

Considering I was spanked at home and paddled at school and that those methods only made me better at sneaking around and lying, contributed to an unhealthy relationship with authority, and taught me to turn to violence as a first resort when things didn't go the way I wanted, I have a pretty strong attitude against it.

But I'd appreciate it if you'd not roll your eyes at me for trying very hard to do the right thing to manage my own very serious disease and sharing here about it. I'd especially appreciate it if you'd not do so when getting my post entirely wrong; the point of it was to express my frustration with prescription meds, not to encourage taking them.

1 person likes this.
  18. BrieflySpeaking

It's all about the benjamins. You could make up an illness and they sure as hell would make up a pill to "treat" that illness.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_e_4AOsFo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_e_4AOsFo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

19. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Batman, no need for name calling, I think you are just thinking too much into things. I was merely observing the fact that you skewed RR's words of spanking to say beatings when he never said it. Then you bring it up again in this thread. I remembered you supporting TracyMacAdidas getting xanax after his bender, so I just found it odd and made an emoticon.

20. xAliceInChains

I have Insomnia

I have an Ambien prescription

It's the best thing ever, only problem is trying not to raid the fridge after you take it. It really gives you the munchies.