1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleep Apnea positive pressure machines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TBar, Jul 2, 2011.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Anyone here had experience with sleep apnea? I am learning about it and will soon go for a sleep study. If I have to get a positive pressure machine - where can I find the best deal? Any help from those more experienced is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

You can't get one legally w/o a doctor's prescription and through certified shops. The doctor's not going to write you a prescription for you to get the best deal. They will get their money from insurance. Ebay doesn't even allow sellers to list it their old unwanted ones.

However, you can get it of craigslist pretty easily in the range $300. Search "CPAP".

Get the newer ones with humidifier, ramp up time, and Exhalation Relief.

They are much more comfortable to use.

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

thanks ling ling- I will follow the Dr. orders and purchase whatever he prescribes. Thanks for recommending the humidifier and ramp up features.

4. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Been using one for last 4 years. After the sleep study the doctor will have a medical supply rent one to you. The hardest thing is to find a mask that you can live with. I tried 4 or 5 mask before I tried Swift LT nasal mask. It was a hell of a improvement over the full face mask.

After you get the right machine and mask combo life will improve, no more falling asleep at stop signs and traffic lights.

Get on internet and learn how to get into the technicians menu then copy down the settings then get on the internet and find a machine like the one you have. I purchased two one new and one used off the web so I could leave one in the country and one at home. It is not illegal to buy and set your own settings they just have a racket going on so they can rob you on the rental. In one year rental they get the cost of the machine back + about another 40%. If your insurance dose not pay it all you will have to pay the overage. After 5 years of paying they give you the machine, some gift!

If you need any help shoot me a e-mail.

5. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Also http://www.bonanza.com/ has one every once in a while. You are right they will bargain on them $300 to $375 on a high quality one.

You can buy the supplies on e-bay.