1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slate.com: Sports stoppage don't hurt local economies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

http://t.co/PjcuhB1d

Interesting piece. Makes you wonder whether cities should really be so eager to pay teams to come/stay.

2. weslinder

weslinder Member

pffft... Canadians. What do they know?

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

They can instantly calculate the number of Kraft dinners it costs to pay for anything. Can you do that? Huh? Huh????

4. weslinder

weslinder Member

I don't think he covered the loss of sales of Poutine because people weren't getting plastered at hockey games during the NHL strike. That effect must have cost them millions in their fake dollars.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I did hear most Canadian investors have really loaded up on Beaver Pelts and speculating on maple syrup.

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

I've read some articles recently that absolutely destroy the notion that public funding for stadiums can be justified because more money gets poured back in the local economy. There's lots more data on all that now, in the aftermath of every municipality in the nation bending over for privately held professional sports teams.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

This is a very bad trend. I like the Texans but probably not worth the 400 million.

I think their lease is up in 20 years right? What will they want at that time?

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's stupid, especially if your in a market where teams won't necessarily stay.

New Jersey has a couple of arenas, and some aren't even used. The Izod center is empty because the Nets left, but no one wants to take out down. They have the PNC Arts Center, but IMO that's just sucking money from the only two arenas we need, Giants Stadium and the Rock.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

That's interesting, and I completely believe it in regards to work stoppages, but I'm not quick to take that another step and say that getting a franchise isn't a benefit for a city. I think benefits you get are more ancillary, and therefore would be hard to detect in income or tax data. The team is good marketing for the city as a whole, making it incrementally more likely to attract visitors, new residents, businesses, etc over the long term as the city's reputation and profile is increased. A work stoppage wouldn't affect this marketing-impact. And the loss of stature after the departure of a team would be slow as well. If you wanted to measure it, you would want to look at a town that acquires it's first franchise. Even then, though, how do you compare their prosperity with that of a what-if scenario where they don't get the franchise?

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

By this line of thinking, the big famous metropolises where franchise-owners make scads of money -- New York, LA, Chicago plus places like San Francisco and maybe Houston -- have no need to subsidize a stadium. They don't need a sports franchise to be famous. A franchise might change everyone's perception of Tampa Bay or Milwaukee, but there must be a law of diminishing returns as you increase in stature from the other attarctive features of your city.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Now's a good time as any to ask this question, I heard once that players get paid per game, so anytime they play, they have to pay an income tax to the home team's state. Is that true?