1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Slam] Lunch with Kenny and Charles

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://slamonline.com/online/columnists/the-links/2008/10/links-lunch-with-kenny-and-charles/

Kenny and Charles both talking pretty well about the Rockets when not on the air. I am going to watch Charles tonight on Conan (starts in about a half hour here) to see what he has to say then.

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

actually, Yao can't guard Okur

but i agree we're really deep with Landry, Hayes, Battier, Barry, and Brooks

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I was thinking more Scola, Tmac, Artest, Yao, Rafer, but that works too :D

Seriously, our top 6 is about as good as it gets in the NBA. Our 7~10 are very solid rotation players! I'm so excited about this season!

4. theREALDEALkid

Ithink he meant more of a dominant post up center, saying Yao can guard any of them, because there really isnt a dominant center Yao cant guard 1 on 1, but as far as Okur goes, we can always toss Dorsey on him :D

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

lol, there's reasons to believe the rockets could win the title this year, but the ones given by kenny were awful. rafer alston most certainly is not a top point guard and the matchups-game hasn't quite been in yao's favor the last two times he's been in the playoffs.

6. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Kenny: “I’ve been on a bad team before.”
    Charles: “They were bad because you were on it!”

Typical Charles Barkley humor! I love it!

Yeah the three clear teams with a huge chance at the championship this year are LA, Boston and Houston.

7. battousai

battousai Member

I think people are not watching the right BB game when they claimed Yao can't guard Okur. I assume that was two years ago when JVG was still our headcoach.

Did you even watch that game or just reading those articles?

Jazz's game plan was to pull Yao out of the paint by playing Okur nearby 3pt line. It then create space for boozer to the paint area. we got no legit 4, and Yao was pretty much guarding both Boozer and Okur, or which ever comes close to the painted area.

Don't be a regular fan, be a rockets fan

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Neither JVG or Adelman has ever assigned Yao defensively to Okur.

9. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Yup because the first month where Battier and T-Mac are still rounding into shape from injury/surgery, Aaron Brooks out 1-3 weeks, and Barry and Artest being acclimated into the system should tell us EVERYTHING the Rockets are capable of this season

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He said Yao can guard any Center, not any 7'0 shooting guard.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have the reason below:

[​IMG]

note how much cred the Rockets got when Ron Artest arrives. That's the power of the Tru Warier. Let's face it, we weren't wariers before, so we didn't deserve to be treated as so.

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I think he meant that Yao can't guard Okur because that would mean completely giving up on shot blocking in the paint.

In terms of mismatches note that Kenny was talking about guarding opposing centers, where Yao does a great job. You can't teach height. Where Yao gets killed is on rotations.

But clearly in any one on one situation where Yao is going up against a traditional center he's going to do very, very well. Eddy Curry, Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard spring to mind as examples.

13. abita

abita Member

when it comes to a "center" running around the 3 point line, i just ignore them. they are perimeter shooters, period.

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

being a rockets fan does not mean you know anything about basketball. Our 4's were not the problem against the Jazz. Hayes can guard Boozer as well as anyone in the league. And Okur for that matter. Yao's problem wasnt that he was trying to guard both, but rather that he couldn't guard either. This has been much discussed. If Yao could cover Okur at the 3 point line, then I'm sure JVG would have tried that approach more often.

15. thacabbage

Sorry, but your post indicates that you are the one who hasn't been watching the games. Chuck Hayes shut down whoever he guarded in that series whether it was Boozer or Okur. It was Yao who couldn't guard either of them and routinely got owned. He wasn't just poor defensively - he was a complete liability.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about Yao learning to be a better rebounder..

evidence of horrible rebounding:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9NEAvvARppc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9NEAvvARppc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. thacabbage

i didn't want to go there.

18. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

the first month is not going to show what this team is about

19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

And Okur can't guard Yao.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He did a pretty good job of it in the 07 playoffs.