1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Since he has never led anything, why is Obama qualified to be President?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 20, 2008.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I come to you asking a genuine question. I would like somebody to explain to me why Obama is qualified to lead America, when he has never led anything in his life. He's never been tested in a time of crisis. Rudy Giuliani summed it up in his speech at the convention. Can somebody please share why you feel Obama is qualified to lead? What has he done?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRBlLv4nogM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRBlLv4nogM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same is true of McCain.

3. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Because he won the Democrat Party nomination (with amazing leadership) and is better than any candidate the Republicans have put out in the last 24 years. ;)

9iu1ian1 for the loss!!!

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have someone with no "executive" experience than someone with FAILED "executive" experience.

5. bigtexxx

The Democratic party was (is?) extremely fractured during the primary process. Hillary received more votes than Obama. Some say Obama supporters' intimidation techniques were why he won, through the caucuses which inherently benefit the loudest and "most available" to show up. I would not say that there was amazing leadership at all. More like the celeb status was just enough to squeak him through

6. Franchise2001

Forgot to give you props big_texxx for starting a relevant/thought provoking thread. It certainly is a valid question as many people that voted for Hilary said the same thing during the primaries (along with Joe Biden). I voted for Obama in the primaries because I felt like I could trust him to minimize the amount of influence that special interest groups have because he's so "inexperienced." I translate that into being unconnected (which, IMO, is exactly what we need).

7. bigtexxx

False. McCain has been an influential Senator for many years. He had led and passed meaningful legislation

Obama has been a celeb senator for 143 days and hasn't done anything meaningful during that time

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

And yet, he still won.

So, nice job reemphasizing the amazing story of triumph over adversity that was the Obama primary campaign!

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

McCain sounds a lot like Bush. That's why people don't like him.

10. Franchise2001

Not going to disagree about SOME of the caucases getting out of hand in Texas. On the other side of the coin... about 4 of my coworkers, who are extremely conservative and wouldn't vote Democrat to save their own life, voted for Hilary in the open primary just in spite of Obama (it's funny how many times you hear "Osama" working in the oil and gas industry... ignorant folk).

I don't get the "celeb" status argument. McCain compares him to Paris Hilton, who is a spoiled rich girl that his wife somewhat resembles. If only Cindy had a sex tape too!! It's funny how the party of Ronald Reagan is complaining that a candidate is too much of a "celebrity."

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It could possibly be reasoned by his supporters that he has a vision for the future that is distinct from that of current leadership, which a large portion of the American people support, at a very transitional point in our nation's future. A similar argument could have been made for another idealistic Illinois Senator with no leadership experience, at a similarly contentious time in our nation's history.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're about two weeks too late brah. we're discussing real issues now, at least he knows he can't fire the SEC Chairman

13. bigtexxx

Despite your weak attempt at a thread derailment, you actually brought up a decent point. How would Obama have handled the financial crisis? Would have have had leaders in place such as Hank Paulson who could have taken swift action? Or would his University of Chicago old boys' network be thinking about the problem though a hypothetical and/or academic and time-intensive process? Obama showed a slowness to form an opinion on the Georgia events, and frankly that slowness would have destroyed the world economy if he had shown that during the past week in the financial markets.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney had tons of experience.

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Boy that's not the refrain heard when Bush won the nomination in 2000... it was more like he was purchased.

What adversity? Obama's camaign song should be "Wind Beneath My Wings."

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what has mccain shown in this economic crisis on his decision making ability. what did we do in georgia other than send aid to help the citizens, you must be kidding, if it were up to palin and mccain (as palin calls the ticket now LOL) we'd be in a third war

and i didn't know mccain put paulson in place

17. sook

sook Rookie

please don't diss obama on the economy.

Have you ever heard of Mccain talk about economy? Its like a 4 yr old trying to teach quantum physics. The guy doesn't have a clue and i can't stand people like that, when its so blatant he doesn't know anything he tries to preach.

Used to be a cain supporter but his campaign has been run so dishonestly and oyea, the sarah palin thing set me off.

18. adoo

adoo Member

so true.

it is an insult to American voters who are too smart for that.

19. bigtexxx

Obama is atrocious on the economy. He wants to raise taxes (yes, capital gains taxes are taxes, people) during this time of economic distress. That's a recipe for disaster. His idea of "surrounding himself with smart people" is garbage, also - just look at what the democratic congress has done.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Why? Well, he's an American by birth, he's over 35, he won the Democratic nomination, and he's not from the party of Bush/Cheney.