1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022.

1. HealthyHamstring

With the news leaking this week that the Rockets have an interest in Jaden Ivey at #3, it got me thinking of is there a possibility that the Rockets could land both a big at #3 and Jaden Ivey at #4?

First, let's look at the Kings perspective. It is incredibly rare to see a team that is willing to trade out of the Tier 1 prospect picks in the draft, but that is exactly the case here. Due to the Kings being the most incompetent organization in the league, they are desperate to cash in their chips and go for a "win now" approach. I find this strategy of there's beyond idiotic, but that is besides the point. Below is a list of non-Rockets star options that the Kings may or may not have of how they could leverage that #4 pick into an immediate win-now star player.
    • Pascal Siakam (longshot)
    • Donovan Mitchell (longshot)
    • Dejounte Murray (longshot)
    • Julius Randle (realistic)
    • Jerami Grant (realistic)
    With Julius Randle and Jermai Grant being seemingly the only two close to star options that the Knicks could conceivably be willing to consider trading the #4 pick for, the next level of "win now" packages would likely be a mix of a lot of high level NBA players that significantly improves your depth while adding a good level of young skill and draft capital, that's where the Rockets come in. I have broken down the Rockets assets into the following categories.

"Win Now" Players
    • Christian Wood (Play the 4 next to Sabonis)
    • Eric Gordon
    • Jasean Tate
    • Kevin Porter Jr (50% here, 50% Young Talent)
    Young Players with the Potential:
    • Alperen Sengun
    • Kevin Porter Jr (50% here, 50% win-now)
    • Josh Christopher
    • Kenyon Martin Jr
    • Usman Garuba
    Draft Capital
    • #17 in 2022 NBA Draft
    • 2023 Rockets 1st Round Pick (Only with a Top-8 Protection, off the table at anything more than that)
    • 2023 Bucks 1st Round Pick
    • 2024 Nets 1st Round Pick
    • 2025 Thunder/Rockets/Nets First Round pICK
    • 2026 Nets 1st Round Pick
    • 2027 Rockets/Nets 1st Round Pick
    • 2028 Rockets 1st Round Pick

Of the above assets listed, the only two ones that would give me pause in including them in a package for Ivey would be Alperen Sengun (would not add much more to the package besides him) and the 2023 Rockets 1st Round Pick (would only include with protections on it). Besides those two, I would not hesitate giving up many of the above assets for a chance to take Jaden Ivey at #4. We can even use #17 and the 2023 Bucks First Round Pick to move up to a spot between 9-13 and use that pick as part of the package. I see no reason why the Rockets couldn't offer a package of 2-3 "win now" players, 1-3 "young talent" players and a late lottery OR #17/2023 1RP package to the Kings for #4 and not be in the running with Julius Randle or Jerami Grant centric packages. A rebuild consisting of Jalen Green/#3 Big/Jaden Ivey is a dream come true and would make us the highest ceiling young core in the league. So I ask the following...

1) Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?
    2) If the answer is yes, what would you be willing to give up to get to #4?

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think the cost of trading up to get Ivey at 4 just isn't worth it

I do need to watch more Ivey though to see if he is indeed a can't miss prospect

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I mean, we should consider it. But the price will probably be too high, and I think other teams will be able to put together better packages.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

If you can trade up to #4 without giving up Green, you do it

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its a strategic decision for sure. Go all in for this draft or do so in 2023 which is projected to be stronger. The later sure has a lot of risk. Potentially bigger rewards though.

Sledge187 likes this.
  6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd do it, start fresh with Green, #3 pick & #4 pick. Whoever is left on the roster after that doesn't matter much.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yes, they should explore it just as they should explore every somewhat feasible option and identify as many contingencies related to those options as one realistically can.

Doesn't mean they should do it.

8. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Rockets would essentially have a #2, #3 and #4 picks in the lottery all under 21 and on the same team.... that is the type of stuff the Thunder did years ago, if you cannot compete long term with that type of talent, then you need to get in a different line of business.

9. Nook

Nook Member

If I can have a team of: Green/Ivey/Banchero ..... I will give up Sengun, Wood, Christopher and even some of the Nets assets.

10. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Didn't throw in KPJ either?

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if it can be done without giving up younger prospects (Sengun, etc) - sure... we need to consolidate some assets...
    If we can move vet(s) (Wood, Ego, etc...) attach some draft capital (#17 - maybe a future)... and walk away with 3 & 4 - to go with the rest of our young core... certainly worth exploring...
    Personally, I'm usually not a fan of giving up proven commodities to overpay to draft an unproven rookie...
    but imo when in rebuild mode - ya gotta take some shots... I dont believe in just sitting on ones hands waiting for 'the process' to come to fruition...

12. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Wood, 17, and Bucks pick probably wouldn't interest the Kings. Throw in Tate maybe?

13. xaos

xaos Member

A core of Banchero/Green/Ivey is really really appealing. I do think that could turn into a multi-year championship team someday. I'd like to keep our 2023 pick or at least top 5 protect it since Scoot or Victor are better prospects than anyone in this draft.

Filling out the roster with defensive pluses who aren't offensive liabilities is easier than finding guys like Ivey so it's worth exploring

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Nook - you may have discussed this elsewhere, but how do you feel about Ivey’s shooting form/footwork? I’m no expert, but I’ve got to say to me his shot looks really pushy with a low release (I’m also not convinced he’s really 6’4”), and his footwork on stepbacks, etc isn’t very fluid and looks effortful. I know you feel he is a really good prospect, what are your thoughts on those two aspects?

GotGame15, don grahamleone and saleem like this.
  15. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I personally just don’t see ‘it’ with Ivey, but those are the two main things I don’t love.

GotGame15 and Little Bit like this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Depends on what you have to give up, but yeah, I think the top end of this draft is going to go down as being way above average. I’d definitely consider moving up.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ivey as a prospect down the line is easily worth exploring with a package outside of green. There's nothing on this team outside of him, which should be holding them back from offering some type of package for a chance to draft him.

luckyman76, King1 and Nook like this.
  18. HealthyHamstring

Here is an example of the skeleton of a trade I think could work. I would be willing to throw more into if it need be to

Kings Get:
    Christian Wood
    Eric Gordon
    2022 #10 Pick
    Jasean Tate
    Kenyon Martin Jr
    Vernon Carey Jr

Kings Give Up: #4, Richaun Holmes, Justin Holiday, Moe Harkless, Alex Len

Rockets Get:
    2022 #4 Pick
    Ish Smith
    Justin Holiday
    Moe Harkless
    Alex Len

Rockets Give Up: Wood, Gordon, Tate, KMJ, #17, 2023 Milwaukee Pick

Wizards Get:
    2022 #17 Pick
    2023 Bucks First Round Pick
    Richaun Holmes

Wizards Give Up: #10, Ish Smith, Vernon Carey Jr.

The most important part to think about is what do the Kings look like after a trade like this?

Kings Starters:
    Fox
    Mitchell
    Barnes
    Wood
    Sabonis

Kings Bench:
    Eric Gordon
    Jasean Tate
    Kenyon Martin Jr.
    Trey Lyles
    2022 #10 Pick

That is a team that is capable of sneaking into the playoffs in my opinion. Essentially, the Kings traded down 6 spots and picked up 4 pieces that could contribute to a winning team immediately, including some with ceiling to them

#18 HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m no Ivey expert, but are we sure he gonna be that much better than KPJ is now? And I say this as someone who can’t get past the fact that KPJ quit on his team at halftime and drove home in the middle of a game.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Him as well.....

Honestly, anyone other than Green is on the table....