1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets be shopping their first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2004.

?

Should the Rockets be shopping their first round pick right now?

1. Yes

129 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If there is any bright spot right now it is that the Rockets' first round draft pick this season suddenly has some potential value. Our record and play screams lottery right now.

Yet, keep in mind, the schedule does get one hell of a lot easier in December, loaded with games we should win to get our record back to respectability. I also can't see the Rockets at the bottom of the league -- too many garbage teams.

The Rockets have about ZERO in the trade assets department, and plenty of needs. Seeing this pick's value go up (or be a better risk for a GM looking at it) could be a blessing in disguise and all I can really think about right now is whether or not the Rockets should trade that pick now. The gambling side of me thinks they should, if they can get good value.

On one hand, I am adamant that the team should not panic and take on some contract that would handcuff us even more over the next few years. No quick band-aids, please. We also have not done a good job of bringing in quality younger players in the draft over the last several years. On the other hand, if you saw last year's draft, you know the NBA Draft is now about selecting junior high kids in hopes of developing them to the point that they are able to contribute to the next team they sign with. Will a guy available in the 9-13 range be able to impact significantly our PG or PF spot in 2005 ... or even 2006?

Strictly a hypothetical example: I don't know what the value of a Tyson Chandler is, but the Bulls are beyond pathetic and I have to think they would consider a potential lottery pick in a deal for Chandler (restricted free agent in 2005) when they are looking to build around Hinrich, Deng and Gordon. Chandler of course has problems too (see: back injuries), but would certainly provide more as a recently-turned 22-year old already working on his fourth season in the league.

So (again, strictly hypothetical) you'd be looking at losing a #10 pick or so for a guy like Chandler. Is it worth it?

I hope that CD is already looking at possibilities such as this because if not, I think I'm about 15-20 games away from firing up the lottery generator and rooting for some balls (and not just for Yao).

2. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Do we still the any TE to go with the pick for a trade?

3. Possum

Possum Member

Absolutely! I dont see anyone in next years draft that is going to come in and make any difference. The only problem is that any team we trade with isnt going to let us put restrictions on the pick. It would suck if we traded the pick and ended up landing in the top 3. But if we could pull a playre like Chandler out Chicago I would do it tonight.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Member

If the Rockets can package the TE along with MoT or Howard, we might be able to get a decent deal. But it means nothing if we can't get Yao/TMac to be productive.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Member

I say we pull a John Gruden on their a$$.

6. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

Didn't we trade our last pick? I thought you couldn't trade your first rounder 2 years in a row...

7. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I would trade for Chandler because the kid is not only young but he has been a good shot blocker in the past, shoots for a high percentage and can rebound. I think a mid to low lottery would be worth that easy.

8. Charvo

Charvo Member

I'd keep the pick and hope that CD actually brings in a decent player. However, I'd be hesitant to keep the pick if JVG is actually here evaluating the talent. JVG is known for creating salary albatrosses (Steve, Juwan, Allan Houston). He is not good for utilizing talent.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I say yes because we will probably just blow the pick anyway. You know, like we've blown almost every draft pick since Sam Cassell and Robert Horry.

10. amed

amed Contributing Member

The rockets should keep thier pick cause Yao is going to lead them to the Lottery.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

I would do the Chandler trade without question. At least you know what you are getting, the kid can really chew up the boards and is a descent weakside shotblocker. With a little protein and creatine the sky is the limit for Chandler. Yao and Chandler would be the real twin towers.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, good poll question. I have been wavering on this as well. What makes me want to trade the pick is I have low confidence that we have good enough scouts to judge good talent. We haven't hit on a good pick in a while (sans Yao of course). If I had faith we would be able to find a Cassell type player as the 20th player chosen that would be one thing, but I have more faith that we will draft a Nachbar type player that wont deliver us the type of player warranted for a high pick.

I agree that we shouldnt be TOO impatient and throw a bandaid on this thing and take on a BIG contract to handicap us for future player moves. But what they might want to do is trade one of our bad contracts to another team for a similar bad contract, a player who at least FITS what we want to do. In other words, as an example trade Juwan Howard to NY for Jerome Williams. Both bad contracts but at least Williams REBOUNDS. That's a start. Just reshuffling contracts.

We can also look to move our 1st round pick as you suggested. According to ESPN the Magazine a few weeks ago we tried to pry Antonio Daniels of the Sonics for that pick. Would people consider it? Clearly if we could get Chandler for that pick he has MUCH more upside.

We also have a Trade Exception of 5.9M I think. That means we can take back in a trade that much money. We could trade a 2nd rounder+TE and take some player off another team's hands if they are trying to dump salary. Depending on the player (and contract length) this might be a good way to get a quality player on the team without giving up anything. Les just has to agree to take on that extra salary.

But to answer your question Clutch, I think I would move the pick. I just dont have confidence in CD and our scouts that they will draft a quality player.

13. Toast

Toast Member

We actually have a first round pick? No way!

Assuming JVG will be here next year, we should definitely trade it, 'cause we all know he prefers veterans over rookies.

Okay yeah, I'm bitter. But seriously, if we're gonna have 2 max contract guys (TMac & Yao), we need to get some production out of more "affordable" contracts. We need to draft a guy who can contribute immediately. Not necessarily an all-star in the making, just a guy we can plug in right away to fill a role. If that kind of player is available, I say we keep the pick & draft him post haste.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the pick and the TE could net us chandler. however, i would want to get rid of either mo or howard with the pick aswell.

to answer the poll question; yes i would want to trade the pick. based only on CD's drafts, and JVG's history of not using young players.

15. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

Good one. :D

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

You can't trade two future picks. Which means, now that the last draft is behind us, we're free to screw up the next one. The only thing that would stop us is if our 2006 pick was already promised to someone.

I wouldn't trade the pick for immediate help. I would trade it if someone was offering someone who could legitimately be a long-term asset (Chandler may count). Now that we have Yao and McGrady, we need to build up a more robust set of good complementary players. You do that with 1 first round pick per season and 1 MLE per season. I expect to add 2 solid guys every offseason -- 3 this offseason since we also have the TE. As long as we do that, the long-term situation looks fine.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Don't be bitter, that's how JVG is. No rook is going to have a big impact on this team with JVG at the healm. He rode Ewing/Johnson/Oakley til their last breath, and was left with a bunch of guys (except Houston/Spree) that never saw PT, and JVG lost it and quit.

Like you said, if JVG stays-we need to trade the pick, we need the help. Packaging it with the TE and or MoT/Howard makes it a nice little package for teams. Chandler would be nice, but Hinrich would be better. Teams like Toronto, Chicago, Memphis, maybe looking to move some players.

However, if JVG is canned (please, please, please) then the next coach might be able to improve this team where we won't have to trade the pick. Maybe by just packaging a TE/MoT or Howard/Filler, the Rockets might be able to get a decent deal.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I would agree with this....we need to take a long term view of the situation....the pick would be better used to encourage another team to trade us someone who would be of use to us immediately...

By what I have heard...the upcoming draft class isnt much to look at....anyone we got from it would not be real likely to help much for a year or more(if that)....

package it with a player and see what we can get.

and for our sanity's sake...use the damn TE somehow or another to get our guys some help.

we have a couple of bench players worth keeping(Sura/AB/Boki)...but thats about it...everyone else can go...

btw..on a related note....I realize it is a isolated incident....but when two of our more recent picks were Yao and Cat...I dont see how you can say that EVERY pick has been screwedup.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

I think if the Rockets are going to remove Van Gundy and go a different direction that the pick should be in play. At this point, if we keep Van Gundy, one of 2 things happen. He will get a bunch of role players that do his thing and outperform and we will wind up at #7 or #8 seed or just out of the playoffs. Either case, our draft pick is not worth as much. Or, we could just go totally in the tank, which if that happens, our draft pick suddenly grows in value. At this time, I'm leaning towards the tanking prospects as it looks like the players are quitting on him. So I would say if we are going to retain Van Gundy we should hold on to the draft pick and wait out the season. Then if we get some balls bounce our way, we've got a high lottery pick, the TE, the MLE, the VME, and some marginal talent as bargaining chips to trade and build a team for the next head coach.

But if we are planning on dumping Van Gundy and bringing in someone this year to right the ship and push us into the playoffs and change our style of play, then we would be best served to trade the pick now (unprotected) and see if we can get an upgrade at the 4 or 1 spots.

Still, I find it very difficult to believe that Les is willing to swallow that money and his pride and can Van Grinch. Unless, the shoe company deals really work as described in the other threads.

20. ArtV

ArtV Member

Trade it. I'm like Duece and have 0 confidence in our "scouts". If we do keep it, Les could help the team and save some money by dumping the scouts and tell CD to pick up a couple of copies of Pre-Draft NBA magazines on his way to the draft.