1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the 76ers consider a trade with Ben Simmons for a good offer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Nov 20, 2019.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know this is super unlikely. But ... should the 76ers consider it, if a strong offer is sent.

Early in the season, but he has regressed, in a few areas, while the team is not as good as expected.

If a team offers a handful of first round picks; another star; a handful of veterans; or a combination of these options.

Prospective teams:
    Orlando - Quite a few young players and picks.

Chicago - See Orlando

Atlanta - See Orlando and Chicago

Detroit - Blake Griffin with a few vets.

Portland - A host of veterans, possibly with McCollum or DL.

Spurs - Probably DeRozan and Murray with picks and fillers.

Hornets - ROTFL!!!

Clippers - As scary as this sounds, they may have enough quality players to warrant a Simmons trade without touching Kawhi and PG.

Golden State - Russ, filler, and GSW prospective lottery pick.

Thunder - CP3 and Alexander

Pelicans - Holiday with filler, Ingram with filler, or Holiday and Ingram, possibly Ball.

Thoughts and other possible trade ideas, if applicable.

2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Unless he is a cancer in the locker room there is no way I'm trading Ben Simmons. 6'10 athletic PG's don't grow on trees. Harris is more of a problem early on then Simmons. The 76'ers need to patient and figure it out without losing Simmons. He has also shown the ability to be an elite defender. It's way too early to give up on a talent like that.

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

indeed..an elite defender, not many ppl can block harden's step back from 3. if Jason kidd can learn to shoot that 3 well, he can too. They just have to suffer through the learning curve.

4. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

If I'm a Sixer fan, I'm looking to trade Embiid and his injuries before Simmons. You can improve shooting not durability

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i guess the rockets cam take him if they dun want him.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And I would be more worried about Embiid's immature behaviour in the long run too.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Throw wb at them

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. omgTHEpotential

Simmons is so overrated it's ridiculous. He has a good team around him that hides his deficencies, but on a different team he would look much worse.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I might take that okc deal if that was brought to the table.

plutoblue11 and BallSoHarden like this.
  10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

They can't trade him this year because it'd be too complicated under the salary cap, but if thing don't improve they should consider it. Realistically they don't have many other avenues to improve their roster, and because of the vets on their team coupled with embiid's health, they are in win now mode mow than you'd think. This team would be so much better with any number of vet point guards in Simmons' place. I'm thinking of a kyle lowry type, who provides, defense, shooting, and of course some toughness. There are so many good defenders in their starting five they could even get away with a so-so defender, they badly need reliable shooting in their starting 5.

I hate saying this about a player because you never know what's going on in their head, but hard not to think Simmons doesn't have a winning mentality. Seems to actively avoid anything that could embarrass him or make him look bad. Sure he has some great strengths, but does he work on his glaring weaknesses (i.e. shooting)? Everyone harks on his 3 point shooting, but more importantly he needs to make free throws. It's crazy how he avoids getting fouled. There is just no place in the modern game for a perimeter player who can't capitalize on fouls or 3's. I don't think he'll ever get there, but for Simmons to truly unlock peak effectiveness, he should channel his inner Boris Diaw and play as a big man who can do everything, rather than as a point guard.

plutoblue11 and malakas like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I was a big Simmons fan based on limited observations and his skill set when he was in high school.

I remember talking to an assistant college basketball coach about Simmons when he was a freshman at LSU. He proceeded to absolute rip Simmons. Said that he came to LSU out of shape. Said that he had very poor practice habits, called him lazy, said he was arrogant and had a really poor work ethic and loser mentality. He said he didn’t go to class and was very difficult to coach.

I mostly just listened but I did say I felt Simmons would be an all star and had great upside. His response was Simmons wouldn’t improve because of what was in his heart, wouldn’t ever shoot well and would never lead a team where they wanted to go.

I don’t know. I just thought it was interesting. I know the Sixers were close to the Finals last year but my non informed view on Simmons based on what I have seen and read is that what the coach said is true.

I’m sure the Sixers would be open to a move but there is nothing equal out there in the market.

Vivi, pippendagimp, malakas and 2 others like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

I can echo those statements about simmons prior to the league. I posted this earlier this year

Vivi, plutoblue11, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He and Embiid need to be separated one way or the other.

Ben has to defer so much in Philly....along with a clogged up lane.

Simmons needs to be used as a point forward, and as a Weapon to bludgeon teams inside/on the move He's NOT a PG.

Whoever deals for him would be getting a transcendental player whose talents have been largely hidden in Philly.

He's a different player when Embiid isn't on the floor.

#13 Plowman, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Most of these won't work because Simmons still only makes $8 million a year.... or in the case where you are suggesting young guys, those young guys are nowhere near the quality of Ben Simmons, jumpshot or not. And the 76ers don't have other big contracts to trade away - they have Embiid, Horford and Harris... you're not trading away one of those PLUS Simmons.

As to whether they should. Well, the only logical trade I could see that could actually work from a cap perspective and value perspective would be maybe for a Donovan Mitchell. But I don't think the Jazz would do that.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

I would trade him for the right price for example Beal.

I don't believe in him. It's not the jumpshot , it's the heart.

plutoblue11 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I just read quite a bit of local media in Philly. It's getting close to def-con 3 for a lot of their fans. Heck even DR. J is chiming in. It looks like a lot of panic, for a 8-5 team. When Harris finds his 3 point stroke again i think they will be fine.

I don't know about how much flexibility they have left, but if they can add another playable shooter via trade or buy out they will be OK.. Losing Reddick was an under rated loss for that team.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Philly is trying to make Ben learn how to shoot the 3, they need to stop with that nonsense. Sounds counterintuitive, but they need him to focus on his strengths and punt away the biggest weakness he has.

Turn him into a Rondo on 'roids. If Rondo and Giannis can survive without a dependable 3, then Simmons can too. The contract is unfortunate, but at this point, it is what it is.

Biggest mistake was not re-signing Redick. Dude was perfectly paired with Embiid and Simmons.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know, i think you have to build a team around him and i don't think he's good enough to be that guy...Embiid is i'd say, and i don't think they fit that well together so, between them i'd probably consider to trade Simmons, although i would consider moving Harris before him, but good luck with that.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

They have no flexibility cause Horford and Harris are probably unmovable with those contracts, the only player they could move is RIchardson, also cause i don't see how they're going to be able to resign him when he'll expire, but on paper he's a perfect player to have there, cheap, good defender who can shoot so, i don't know...

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, i read this thread and went to the standings to see how bad they are doing.

8-5 with a game against the knicks on deck isnt the worst start in the world.

roslolian, BaselineFade and B-Bob like this.