1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Landry start???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by levintblack, Oct 9, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Member

He showed it his rookie year, which was a real NBA season. He shot 49% on long two's last year. Scola shot 41%.

2. killer instinct

INTANGIBLES....... he doesn't have as much yet.......... his jump shot will have to make it to the regular season for me to be convinced that he is as special as some of you make him out to be.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

If Landry started it would not be a bad idea (though I didnt know of any talk of starting Landry).

When Scola's on the floor with 2 or more other offensive options, he doesnt assert himself as much offensively. When he's one of the main focal points, his leadershi & passion really comes through as well as his craftiness on offense.

Landry's got the same approach no matter what time in the game or lineup he's in. His improving jumper and super active body is a good complement to Yao's slow footedness.

But the team is so successful with Scola starting there's no reason to change things. Plus Artest makes it where you tink have to tinker with the Scolandry approach.

4. durvasa

durvasa Member

If we start McGrady and Artest, I think Landry might be better at taking advantage of the double teams they draw.

5. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I have to admit Landry looks great. But I think you can throw out Scola & Landry's stats from last season. Landry will be better, but his efficiency will fall and Scola will simply be better from every statistical category.

It's great to see all of the love for Landry from people who were certain he wasn't worth the full MLE. And that would have been a bargain for a starter on an NBA contender.

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

I hate the fact that Adelman read this thread and started Landry tonight.

Next time, Adelman, please just call JVG.

7. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I don't really care. We going to see Yao-Landry, Yao-Scola, Scola-Landry Front court in every game and you know what, they are all great combination.

Houston BIG 4 Yao-Tmac-Ron-Scolandry.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think RA was trying different combinations. There is no better place and time to test a lineup combination than pre-season.

Let's admit, we all wanted to see how Landry would perform as a starter, and if Landry was a reliable starter, then he must prove it against great players such as Garnett. RA either wanted to get it off his chest or he wanted Scola to be in the 2nd Unit where he won't be guarded by a resting Garnett or as heavily by a tired Garnett.

So either way, it's best for RA to try out as many things as he can before the Regular season. In a place like the wild wild west, one game is the difference between first seed, 8th seed or even out the playoffs.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

landry did alright with the starters tonight. Offensively he was fine. Defensively he was abused.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Adelman is making Scola the backup C to Yao. He will continue to start at PF and Landry will come off the bench. IMO, Landry is definitely a backup, not a starter. I don't think he will ever be a starter in the NBA.

11. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

I thought Landry did pretty well defensively, especially guarding Garnett at the start of the game. His defense doesn't compare to Chuck Hayes though for sure.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

He had maybe two good plays against garnett one on one, but he wasn't covering for yao very well. Let up a lot of shots down low.

He didn't do horribly, but he didn't do well either.

13. yuantian

yuantian Member

yup, he is way too undersized to be a starting PF in the league. simply not good enough against the elite PF in the league. starting line up would be way undersized with him at 4.

14. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Powel was overpowering carl due to his bulk. even big baby glen davis was pushing him around. he isnt a great physical defender. carls strengths on defense are his athletic ability to stay infront of his man. but he isnt a great physical defender. conversley luis the opposite. he isnt the quickest guy, but he makes it up with his physical defense.

15. Jd1

Jd1 Member

his first half performance(2 pts) was pretty bad. he picked it up in the 2nd half. I would say this game doesn't indicate Landry will be more effective as a starter.

16. mag

mag Member

Based on today's game, I would say NO.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm so glad we retained landry. I'll let adelman worry about who to start.

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

Huh? Rafer isn't undersized at PG. McGrady, Artest, and Yao are very clearly oversized for their positions. Strange comment.

19. Erichstolz

Erichstolz Member

it really wont matter who gets the start. its a win win situation for us. go rockets baby.

20. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Word up.

However, I think the move can make sense in the same context of people saying Artest should come off the bench. I don't think anyone can deny that Luis Scola's post game is extremely good, leagues ahead of Landry, while Landry certainly seems quite efficient at finishing at the rim and hitting the midrange jumper, both of which are Scola's weaker points. Having Scola come off the bench for a very potent scoring punch, along with Artest, could certainly work just as well.

But as mentioned, either way works. That's what's so great about the team this year-- versatility. I'd still start Scola, though, just because of the monstrous winning record we have when he's been in our starting lineup with Yao. I'd take higher winning percentage anyday.