1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Kostas Papanikolaou Start on Saturday Night vs Golden State?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 7, 2014.

?

Should the Rockets give Kostas Papanikolaou his first NBA start on Saturday night against the Warrio

1. Start Kostas

37.3%
  2. Keep Kostas on the bench

62.7%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

If TJ is out, Dmo will probably start but hell pick up 2 fouls in the first minute anyway so KPap is gonna play the bulk of the minutes anyway.:cool:

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Wrong, that is David Lee..

3. crash5179

crash5179 Member

?? I've only heard that David Lee will miss the road trip.

4. Jimes

Jimes Member

Agree with OP in general. I do think DMo could abuse a smaller guy in the post, but we would typically post-up DH rather than DMo, so maybe better for him with the second unit.

5. basketballholic

Here's the real point.

There has been no drop-off in this team with Terrence out. Has DMo been a difference-maker? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......no. Same thing goes for Black. Everybody likes the kid. We all want to see an undrafted rookie make it. But in the larger landscape of what this team is doing....you could plug in a number of guys at the starting 4 and backup 5 slots and get the same results. We've kept rolling and haven't missed a beat since Terrence and Tarik went out.

Oh.........that includes Beverley too. We haven't missed Bev.......yet.

And that is all due mostly to the lottery teams we are playing against. And yes, the Spurs with Duncan and Manu out....are a lottery team.

It's the same thing as last year. You can't put a lot of stock in what happens early and what happens against lottery teams. But as the season grinds on....and you have to start dealing with the top teams consistently it's a different story. And then when you get to the playoffs where it is more often than not a 7-game half-court back and forth slugfest....unless you capture a top 2 seed.........that's where all the cracks are exposed.

The cracks??

1. Black and DMo can't stay out of foul trouble. They're both foul machines. That's not good playing behind Dwight.

2. Terrence and DMo still haven't shown consistency shooting the ball from outside. They won't shoot it. (A combined 12 shots attempted from distance in 222 minutes) And before you tell me Terrence is in the high 30's.....he banked in a shot from 23 feet which was pure luck. Neither dude has proven they can shoot the floor from distance to effectively spread out the defense and keep the better playoff team defenses from stacking the paint on Dwight and James.

For us to contend for a championship, we're going to have to get a better big man rotation around Dwight. Either one or both of these guys has to play better or we gotta bring somebody else in.

6. solid

solid Member

I am with you.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

Start TJ, if he can't close out on the perimeter shooters/ rotate over, sit him down and bring in papa. My threshold is two good looks for draymond or the man TJ is supposed to be covering.

Papa may be important for the bench, but if we allow GSW to get some early runs and momentum, the game could be out of reach before we can respond.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

If tj plays, you start him....

If tj is out you start dmo but give kpap the heavy starters minutes. You have to manage egos, confidence and what not. Dmo already severely lacks confidence, if you take away the starting job as the back-up pf he may lose all confidence completely.

Tl;dr start dmo give kpap the starters minutes.

Still tl;dr? Go Rox!

#28 BigMaloe, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How does DMo spread the floor :confused:

He is a post scorer, if that.

10. CertifiedTroll

Is the poll asking starting him with TJones still injured? Or starting him over healthy TJones?

11. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Also leaving out the fact that d mo will rebound much better than green. It's an interesting concept and I agree that k Papp and ariza on the floor is effective, but let's keep the continuity

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I like Papa as a bench guy. That said, I think Terrence Jones would be an absolute beast off the bench too. Unfortunately, well you know. D-Mo probably doesn't belong in any teams rotation and after him we got nothing.

13. mikeyg603

mikeyg603 Member

He has more assist than Irving

14. crash5179

crash5179 Member

TJones is out. Kostas or DMo?

15. LandryMegaBeast

papa would be good against draymond but we need some bench firepower.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Issiah Canaan and Jason Terry have been the very good off of the bench.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think its great for us having him come off the bench so keep it that way!

18. archinkent

archinkent Member

We're 6-0. Don't see why the lineup needs to change.

19. baubo

baubo Member

I actually think DMo would be better on the bench when he doesn't have to just spread the floor as much for Harden and Howard.

20. jtr

jtr Member

Big Papa versus Bogut. Big Papa versus Bogut. I cannot decide. Will Big Papa be just an unsightly stain on the floor? Or will he give up a couple of early fouls and be yanked from the game? There are some match ups that no one wants to occur. This is one of them.