1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Canaan be thrown into the fire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Mar 2, 2014.

?

Should Canaan be thrown into the fire?

1. Yes, it might be a little late, but we need to get him ready just in case

161 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. No, just take our chances with Lin and hope he does not happen to collapse in the playoffs

110 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. jtr

jtr Member

A good question OP. And I have no answer. The coaching staff and Morey have a better idea. They get to watch Canaan versus Lin and Bev in practices. We will see. Collectively they are excellent talent evaluators.

2. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

It's an undeniable fact that Lin is playing really badly in recent games, the worst since I saw him emerge from the end of the bench in New York.

I however can't see him playing any worse than now in his future. In short, I believe he has nowhere else to go but up.

But I am sure many of you can see how much worse it can be for overall team performance if you throw a untested and unproven rookie Canaan into a playoff chase as we are going to ride the toughest stretch of the schedule of the season.

Above all, there is nothing that I would hate more than to see that we start losing winnable games and slip below #5 seed as a consequence of doing that. Even in Lin's current stretch of slump we have only lost to GSW and LAC, both on the second night of a B2B and were schedule losses.

3. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Member

okay now go back and pull out every big game he's played in against all the big teams... you cant post only data that favors your point of view, you need to post all data and let the data tell the story.

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

And in the longest stretch of away games of the season.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

he needs to get some PT, even if its just spot mins. Just in case an injury in playoffs happens he wont get thrown out there when its too late.

6. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

They do give him garbage minutes when they can but we can't blow teams out for that to happen too often. IIRC we blew Lakers out and Canaan played at the end of the 4th.

7. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

1. Ya, I know and I also know that Lin has 2 years NBA experience(mostly starter) and Canaan has none.

2. The best way to get out of slump is to play through it, the Rox would need Lin in the playoff so find a way to get him out of slump asap is the best for the team.

1 person likes this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If Lin keeps playing like he's playing, Canaan will get his shot before the season is over.

You can't go into the play-offs finishing up the year the way Lin is and keep him in the rotation.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Might be why they brought up Daniels.

Harden can be the primary ball handler on offense, but you don't really want him holding PG's on the other end.

Daniels can play 2 guard on offense and should be able to hold most back up PG's.

Even if I'm waaaaay off base, they have to do something with Lin. Either get him playing better, or replace him in the rotation because you cannot be taken seriously with him playing as he is.

10. davek

davek Member

played 59 games so far and currently at a 5 game slump. His last prev slump was coming back from an injury.

Even with Lin recent slump the team only lost to clips and I believe GS. Even if Lin was playing at his best against Clips we would've stilled lost. They seem to own the Rox ass and our starters performance was uuugly in that game. For the GS game if Lin was playing at his best, yeah maybe they could've won.

To replace Lin for Caaan would absolutely make no logical sense. The only way is if Lin or PB gets injured. Or we go into some funky losing streak where Lin was playing poorly.

11. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Hard to see Canaan getting much burn over PBnJ. Rockets seem pretty committed to this pg combo. Now is not the time to experiment but rather let the chemistry develop and prepare for a playoff run.

12. deedee82

deedee82 Member

There's been so much Lin bashing going around lately i read your last sentence as "I say we stick it to him". Gotta take off my filter lenses again.

But back to the thread proper, Canaan's play in the limited minutes he has has been dismal. No way will I want to see him on the court this season yet unless we really have chopped hands and legs out of the current starting rotation.

At least in Lin we have a car that's shown it can run the race occasionally rather than a brand new one that has shown it falters coming down the stretch in limited time.

13. kjayp

kjayp Member

Better ya throw the kid the occasional 8-10 minutes in a blowout - than have his first real action be when someone gets injured and ya gotta rely on him for those minutes in crucial games...

14. Dei

Dei Member

That's kinda morbid. You want Canaan to burn in hell?

15. jtr

jtr Member

This happens every year with most NBA teams. Promising prospects get called up from the d-league about this time to get seasoning against much superior teammates in practice. Don't let your panties give you a wedgie. If Canaan was not called up then it would be thread worthy.

16. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

Yes please I dint trust Lin being a backup right now especially going into the playoffs , time to see what we have in Cannan

17. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Morey's thoughts

1 person likes this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I usually don't trust throwing in a rookie PG over a veteran, but this reminds me eerily of Keenum vs Schaub. At this point in time, it is really more of how much worse can we realistically expect going from our current Lin who is playing like absolute garbage to an unproven rookie?

19. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Wow based on the answer, it feels like some of you have just never watched the NBA before. Lin is in a slump, but it's only been a few games. The way you're saying it is like he's been slumping for every single game this season. Infact before this slump, we had a trip double on 20 minutes.

Don't know if serious or just plain stupid.

20. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Oops bad mistake.