1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shipping Beer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 11, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Has anyone ever shipped or flown with beer checked in as luggage? I am going to China in September for a business conference but the city I am going to has an annual beer festival and I would like to help promote a Minnesota brewery by handing out bottles of MN beer as gifts. I am trying to figure out how is the best way to get a case of beer to China in the safest manner and the least expensive.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Disguise them as tiny robots.

[​IMG]

3. weslinder

weslinder Member

Yes. Just check it and declare it for customs. I'd check China's rules before you go to find out how much you can bring for free, and what the it costs to bring more.

4. the futants

the futants Member

You can have beer in your checked luggage. I've done it many times.
    Have fun.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Just wondering if I check beer into my luggage if there might be a potential problem with the bottles or cans exploding in a depressurized cargo hold.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

If I was going to Japan I bet that would work. ;)

7. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Member

I shipped homebrew in plastic bottles from VA to Houston. It's illegal in the US, but I got away with it. Sent UPS and just didn't say what was inside.

8. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

no problem

9. thadeus

thadeus Member

Ship it beforehand, and just write "containers of Bear Bile" on the customs sheet.

1 person likes this.
  10. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I've flown many times, with many bottles of souvenir beer, wrapped in tshirts and never experienced any problems like that. I'm no expert on this here liberal science, pressure mumbo jumbo, but it done worked for me. I'd think your biggest threat would one breaking during the handling or transporting of the luggage.

11. dylan

dylan Member

Ditto what others have said. The first time I flew with beer in luggage I went way overkill. I got a separate baggie for each one, wrapped the separately in bubble tape, etc. Now I just throw a T-shirt around each bottle and that's it. Flown with bottles maybe 10 or so times, never had a broken bottle.

PS You should at least pimp the brewery you're promoting. I am guessing not Surly since they tend to can a lot.

12. heypartner

heypartner Member

so, I thought it was tough flying my dog to Europe and parting ways with her while I go into the cabin and she goes below.

I can't imagine doing that to my beer. It would get warm and all tossed around and stuff. that's just cruel.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Thinking about Summit but might bring some Surly also.