1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq's illegal FTs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by buckaroo, Jun 6, 2002.

1. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

has anyone else noticed with shaq's new and improved freethrow stoke/shotput....he steps in the lane before the ball hits the rim? i verified it using my TIVO..his foot actually lands into the lane before the ball gets to the rim..its really close..but he did it 3 out of his last 4 freethrows against the nets tonight...

the nba rule states
    http://www.basketball.com/nba/rules/rule10.shtml

d. The free throw shooter may not cross the plane of the free throw line until the ball touches the basket ring or backboard or the free throw ends.

if he can not truly "cross the plane of the free throw line" then its a really obvious violation..someone should tell the nets..

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Cuban brought this up on BDSSP so if the refs, Nets, and NBA didn't know, they should know now.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Wow! I HATE Shaq, and I never noticed that! More Ammo! Thanks buckaroo!

4. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Yeah, I sort of noticed that but didn't really think much of it beause the refs never called anything. He shoots them kind of like Mason, he justs about to fall forward, has no balance, I hope they do call that and he stops making them. Long live "Hack a Shaq".

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ya, he's cheating!!!!!!!

He has an unfair advantage!!!!!

That is why he scores so many points in a game!!!!

The Lakers would be 0-82 without the illegal FTs!!!!

I smell NBA conspiracy!!!!

6. mhan

mhan Member

it is kinda the same thing as the ten second for a ft rule. quite a few nba players seem to break the rule, but there is never a call. i guess the refs just ignore the stuff simply because it is a pretty stupid rule. i remember a couple of years back, karl malone would take FOREVER on his fts and crowds would literally count out the seconds and it was never called.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ammo? For what, a cap gun?

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just because you are paranoid. . . does not mean they are not
    watching you.

This IMO is minor
    half the d*mn time NBA players don't even take the ball
    all the way out of bounds after a made basket. The kinda
    step on the line and raise one leg and throw it in

Rocket River

9. junglerules

junglerules Member

I'll worry about this when the NBA consistently calls lane violations, 3 seconds, "the 10 second free throw rule," TRAVELING, etc....

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

No, it's not some conspiracy, but if I were the Nets I would make a big stink about it. The referees still might not call it, but if the press on it gets big enough the refs might be forced to. Then Shaq will have to adjust his free-throw shooting style, and maybe won't shoot as good as he's been. But, I doubt the refs would ever call that on Shaq.

11. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

exactly...especially in a close game like last nights...2-3 ft throws can make a difference...or what if he gets a rebound and put back off of one of his misses, because he is in the lane early...

for the record..i dont care who wins...im a rockets fan..

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

They have foot fault judges in Tennis, maybe the NBA should implement something like that.

PFFFFFFFFFFFT...yeah right.

They won't ever call that on Shaq, or anyone for that matter.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Umm... it's called a joke. You know, laugh laugh, funny funny? I would never attack Shaq over so minor an issue.

Wow! I'm glad, I'm in total agreement! (this is called sarcasm).

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Yea but in close games like last nights those points add up.

15. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

The NBA also does not call '3 second in the key' violations against Shaq, but it's always going to be like that. Nothing you can really do.

16. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Shaq stays in the key for 3+ seconds, travels ,or charges 50% of the time that he has the ball. Shaq gets a lane violation 75% of the time he shoots a FT.

No one's going to change it because he has ALWAYS had an unfair advantage with the refs.

17. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Actually, even standing on the line of the lane is within territory to be called for 3 seconds but the refs won't usually call that. You have to stand all the way inside for about 5 for the refs to actually call it.

18. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Yea i was just watching The Last Word with Jim Rome and Rick Adelman was on it, and he even commented on how Shaq steps over the line. He also was saying something like i think the officiating was changed drastically in games 6 and 7. I think thats just another way of saying the refs made us lose, which i dont agree on. Anyone else see it? your thoughts?

19. IVFL

IVFL Member

I hear a lot of people say, thats just a "little" thing, but those little things can really add up fast. the NBA game is getting worse by the minute. Stern is more concerned with ratings than putting a good product on the court. If he only knew that these two things are joined at the hip. These guys are supposed to be the best athletes in the world yet the leauge has to change the rules to fit them. Thats sad in my book.

Want to imporve the game stern,

1. start calling 5 seconds, you know when a player is being gaurded, he cant hold or dribble the ball for more than 5 seconds. I think that would speed up the game a lot. Moochie and steve come to mind here.

2. call fouls, when they are commited, Basketball is supposed to be a non contact sport, make these guys learn to move their feet instead of reaching all the time.

3. call the "little" stuff, taking the ball out properly, lane violations, ten seconds, at the freethrow line, 3 in the key, over the back, illegal use of the body. If they call three seconds its going to force movement, a post cant just camp in the key.

Basketball is a mental game just as much as a physical game, when refs allow players to get away with mental mistakes it ruins the game. Thats where a game is won and lost. which team makes the most mistakes usually loses. A lane violation, 3 in the key, stepping over the line to inbounds the ball. these are mistakes that one team made, the other should be rewarded for it.

It amazes me that some of these guys have been playing ball their whole life, some played fundamental ball, they get to the NBA and lose all they were taught. they travel, camp in the key, and are allowed to hold the ball longer than the rules state. Its sad to watch.

As for shaq and his free throws, its terrible to watch, that is illegal and should be called, but its not, much like half the rules in the NBA

20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

How much of a difference does it make on his FT percentage tho?