1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq Interview: Put Dream in front of me

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sbyang, Aug 10, 2010.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

I just heard a Shaq interview with a Boston sports radio station. The host wanted Shaq's top 5 centers and gave his own list first:

1) Russell
    2) Wilt
    3) Kareem
    4) Shaq
    5) Hakeem

Shaq immediately said, switch me with Dream, put Dream in front of me and that's a good top 5. They mentioned David Robinson, but Shaq never said put Robinson in front of me.

The station is WEEI and the show was the Dale and Holley show, they should have the interview online later.

2. LFE171

LFE171 Member

The shogun knows his role.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

A players greatness is better measured by his closest competitors.

4. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Probably no one in the league can appreciate Dream the way Shaq can, just because he had to face him on the biggest stage in his prime and he knows firsthand just how awesome Hakeem was. I've always liked Shaq because of this and because of the reverence he has always paid to Hakeem.

1 person likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree. And also, Shaq just seems like a funny guy. However, he is kind of inconsistent, sometimes he calls himself the most dominant big man ever, etc.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Shaq respects Russell and Hakeem, so he'll never openly put himself above those players. I don't think he'd have objected if the guy put him ahead of Wilt or Kareem, though.

7. SunsRocketsfan

agree sometimes he says he is the greatest ever but thats just his personality. like if you ever play pick up ball people trash talk and just have a good time. I think that is what Shaq is doing. When in a serious interview he always pays homage to Wilt, Jabar, Hakeem, etc

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

slamonline.com poll of the day is asking who the greatest is, dream is winning right now.

Y'all know what to do :)

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Hakeem is a man that demands respect! XD

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Done and done. :grin:

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Shaq is slightly more respectable now that he's less childish. As he's becoming a non-factor in the NBA, he's finally growing up and learning some humilty. Good for him.

12. Qball

done

let's see more votes :grin:

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, god forbid someone be funny, i mean this is basketball, serious business

14. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Just voted :)

15. Qball

funny is one thing....being an ass is another.

For example when he made stereotypical karate "sounds" when referring to Yao or Sacramento Queens, telling them they will never be capital of Cali. That's just being an ass.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Shaq has always gone out of his way to show public respect to Hakeem. I don't think he's grown up much. He's also shown disrespect to David Robinson (for no reason whatsoever). Shaq picks who he likes, who he doesn't and then acts like his opinion means anything.

I don't give a flip what he says whether it's stupid or if it makes sense.

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Shaq is probably the greatest character in all of sports.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

When Shaq first came into the NBA, Hakeem actually tutored him, showed him some moves, basically treated him with respect and encouraged him. Obviously, that made a big impression on Shaq.

Then there was the time Shaq got swept the **** out of the Finals for the first and only time by the one and only Dream. That made a big impression on me. :cool:

19. Precision340

Precision340 Member

supposedly the hatred for david robinson came from when shaq first came into the league or maybe he was still in school.. anyhow, he went to introduce himself to david robinson and for whatever reason he felt that david robinson brushed him off and that he had disrespected him... not sure if that's true or not... david robinson has always been well respected and is known as a good guy

20. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Shaq hates Robinson because of the incident when Shaq was in high school.