1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane and Ronald named to "All-Defensive Second Team"!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 6, 2009.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59007/20090506/dwight_kobe_headline_all_defensive_team/#
    http://www.nba.com/2009/news/05/06/defensive.team/index.html

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, winner of the 2008-09 Defensive Player of the Year Award presented by Kia Motors, and guard Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers headline the NBA All-Defensive First Team, the NBA announced today. By totaling 55 points overall, including 27 First Team votes, Howard edged Bryant (53 points overall and 24 First Team votes) as the leading vote-getter.

Also selected to the All-Defensive First Team are forward LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers (47 points), New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul (36 points) and Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett (35 points). Howard led the league in rebounds (13.8 ppg) and blocks (2.9 bpg), becoming only the fifth player to lead the league in both categories in the same season (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, L.A. Lakers, 1975-76; Bill Walton, Portland 1976-77; Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston, 1989-90; Ben Wallace, Detroit, 2001-02). Howard and the Magic held opponents under 100 points 54 times this season -- compiling a 43-11 record in those games.

The NBA All-Defensive Second Team consists of center Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs, guards Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat and Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics, and forwards Shane Battier and Ron Artest of the Houston Rockets. Duncan has been selected to the NBA All-Defensive team 12 consecutive seasons.

The voting panel consisted of the NBA’s 30 head coaches, who were asked to select NBA All-Defensive First and Second Teams by position. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players from their own team. Two points were awarded for a First Team vote and one point was awarded for a Second Team vote.

(Shane Battier and Ron Artest are better defenders than Kobe and Lebron imo...)

2. itony

itony Member

Congrats Artest and Shane 2nd team all defensive

It may be nothing to some but I am proud our two headed monster is recognized for their outstanding defense.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/05/06/defensive.team/index.html

Forward Shane Battier, Houston 6 10 22
    Forward Ron Artest, Houston 5 12 22

Numbers = ( 1st team votes, 2nd team votes, total points)

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

ahh the gold glove award of the nba.....

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I hate this award...I'm like screw the league, how does Kobe keep getting on 1st team All-NBA defense, he is not even the top 3 in his own conference.

Also, I am also rolling my eyes and scratching my head over Chris Paul and Rajon Rondo.

I'm sorry, but I think the Coaches got it wrong.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Lebron is so freaking overrated as a defender it's hilarious. He's good but he is not better than Shane or Ron. Kobe should not even be mentioned as a defender anymore since he only plays good, solid defense for about 10 minutes a game and roams the rest of the time.

6. Super Von

Super Von Member

**** awards. Theyre all bull****.

I stopped looking out for awards a long time ago. The whole thing is a joke.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree completely.

Any defensive award that does NOT have Battier as the BEST wing defender in the game is flawed...... Ron and Battier are in the league because of defense, Lebron and Kobe just decide to turn it on every once in a while...

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2nd team defense is better at defense :confused:
    Also I always say this but if Kobe doesn't have to guard Kobe 3-10 times a year he should be disqualified. Battier guards Kobe, Kobe doesn't have to guard Kobe!

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It's because Lebron never commits fouls. EVER.

10. snc

snc Member

Hard to take this seriously.

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

LOL kobe...are you freakin serious? him making all nba first team in almost every year is on pure reputation alone...but then i wonder, what reputation is that? people don't even talk about his defense because it's not great, but yet he still gets in. he gambles a lot which results in steals, but he isn't that spectacular at playing one on one defense. and chris paul? getting steals doesn't equate to playing lockdown defense. joke award.

12. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

kobe over wade/ron/shane?

wtf

13. kgoodman

kgoodman Contributing Member

On award that matter is the Championship, BABY!

Lets Get It!

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it's funny that kobe is essentially living off the defense he played on allen iverson that one finals series.

kobe like any other gifted wing player can play fantastic individual defense. t-mac is even in that group. It's hardly consistent however.

shane battier STUDIES opponents and defense to a level that they do not. This is what he does and it's rather insulting that he doesn't get recognized on the first team.

Artest to a lesser extent is still living off of reputation but he still puts more of a focus on defense than kobe ever has.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Ha, I wonder how the voting would go if they waited until after this series...

16. zjuzhyin

zjuzhyin Member

Man I am still expecting Yao can get some respect and be named
    All NBA 1st team :(

Will that happen next year?

17. rocketsmetalspd

That one is one that really counts. This Rockets team has a very good chance as any to get it this year. GO ROCKETS!!!

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I thought Mario Chalmers would at least have shot at 2nd team.

Kobe getting the 2nd most votes is outright travesty. I could understand Ariza, but Kobe is not an elite defender, anymore. Maybe for few plays, but not the whole game.

Paul Pierce and Wade should've gotten on there, if possible.

No Chuck Hayes...is already flawed right there. Chuck Hayes is way better defender than LeBron

19. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Chris Paul? I was under the impression that his lack of defensive effort was the hole in his game. Isn't Deron Williams a better defender?

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Shane and Ron take the toughest defensive assignments. Kobe doesn't. 'Nuff said.