1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Seriously, Japan, WTF? [NY Times Magazine] "Love in 2-D"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aghast, Jul 26, 2009.

1. aghast

aghast Member

NY Times Magazine: "Love in 2-D"

Didn't see this posted already. It reads a lot like a Stephen Glass article, and I have my doubts about the real-life extent of the trend, but if at all true, how has a substantial subset of the Japanese people somehow mentally fused children's cartoons, dehumanizing objectification/misogyny, and technology with sexuality/p*rnography?
    How has such a state of affairs come to pass in a highly-developed industrialized nation?

The following is edited a bit for length, & its most obscene descriptions redacted; though my mind has exploded, and instinct says just to bold the whole thing, I encourage you to read the linked piece in full, then find someone (real/human/adult/breathing) to hold onto and tell you that everything's going to be okay.

Is such a thing, the sexual devolution, on the way in the US/Europe? Already here? (Is this what all the World of Warcrafters are turning into?) Have I (thankfully) missed the boat completely on this?

I'm at a loss on this one; please, explain it to me, or if nothing else at least share in my revulsion, and point at Nisan here & laugh.

[​IMG]

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wow.

I doubt this is a widespread thing, but it is absolutely intruiging to me why and how this happens even if they are just a few.

To each his own I guess. I guess this does not help the problem of a shrinking population there.

Are the women going through anything similar?

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You knew this was coming....

[​IMG]

And yes, that appears to be the same guy.

1 person likes this.
  4. aghast

aghast Member

^^^^

Looking at that photo, I don't think enough faces are blacked out. My own included.

(It appears to be the same girlfriend/pillowcase, but I'm not sure that's the same guy, unless he dyed his hair for his, gasp, double-date?)

---

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, two generations ago Japan was a world conqueror. Its army, its men, were conditioned, able to commit unspeakable acts of brutality, with ruthless efficiency. And now, the grandsons of the men who served in that army form a nation of Linuses, forever soiling & rewashing their security blankets?

I don't doubt that this is not a widespread phenomenon. But it seems to be symptomatic, at least, of the broader cultural implosion: 1/4 of Japanese 30 year olds are still virgins? How is that even possible?

Worst 30-something episodes, ever.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Um you live in America, these virgins live in Japan... You live far far away from them.. Why does this bother you so much? 1/4 of Japanese virgins don't represent the whole nation, there are different people everywhere you go..

6. aghast

aghast Member

Another one, with the same crude jab at the language stereotype (if I could find the original source, I'd use that instead):

[​IMG]

Oh, no. Just, no.
    news.com.au: "Japanese man petitions to marry comic book wife"

At least the last parargraph provides an answer about the women, if one can extrapolate from it. For the right Tokyo business traveler, there must be an ocean of sexually repressed women in their twenties & thirties, too old for the conventional norms, just dying to get out. Either that, or make their own pillow cases.

People f---ing their own pillows doesn't interest you, if not purely on a sociological level, then a prurient one? Really?

Is Japan the canary? Are we soon to follow? Is this a product of dehumanizing technology, actual human interaction ever more elusive, while images of humans flicker always? Or is this some weird byproduct of Japanese-specific mores?

Really? They're f----ing pillows in Japan. That concerns me.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Dude, I use to hump everything in the house when I was a kid, then I grew up... This loser with the anime pillow still think he's 8 years old still living in his adolescent years... He just needs to grow the F up...

8. aghast

aghast Member

^^^^

Allow me to rephrase: "Really? They're f----ing pillows in Japan instead of each other. That concerns me."

If it was just a few freaks or sadsacks who had a new hobby, no big deal. In fact, if memory serves, I believe a few furries reside on this very message board, and they are regarded with universally high esteem.

However, I think you may have misread the statistic: according to that study, it wasn't that 1/4+ of Japanese virgins are pillow-fluffers, but that 1/4+ of all Japanese people aged 30-34 are virgins.

Absent a generous open border policy conducive to immigrant labor, or some recent widespread-but-contained outbreak of polio, it is not generally a good sign for the health of a nation when less than 75% of your breeding-age population is even capable of, much less actually achieving, reproduction. And the reason for that is, what, psychological? Widespread shame syndrome? Shiny things on the tv/comics? Inability to adapt to parity among the sexes?

All I'm saying is, it's worth looking into.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i like:

their food, art, gardens/nature, technology/design a lot

don't like:

their cars, women, over-politeness, closed-minded society/traditions at all

all in all, it's a very bizarre island nation and more so than any other place i've been, you really feel separated off from the rest of the world when you go there

10. Convictedstupid

More Japanese women for me!

Weeeeeee!

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Japan has a class of unemployed men who are disenfranchised. The economic stagnation that tore Japan apart in the 1990s (and still continues today in limited degrees) has led to a combination of high suicide rates and well, this I guess.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Need to go to japan. It shouldn't be hard to score.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Japan usually has very low unemployment rates.

14. VanityHalfBlack

I'm gonna be a pimp in Japan, YEEEYA...

15. VanityHalfBlack

Don't like Japanese women who are over polite??? Imagine how many girls you can bang with that kind of attitude...

16. Northside Storm

http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Japan-OVERVIEW-OF-ECONOMY.html

Matter of perspective.

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals/journal_of_japanese_studies/v034/34.1neary.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/feb/24/japan.mentalhealth

There's a lesson in this. Adverse effects of a slight bumpback to an advanced industrialized country. This is on a tangent, but it makes you think about the effects of a world-wide disaster that knocks out infrastructure/power grids. It wouldn't even matter how many people die initially; over time, many more would die just because of a lack of ability to dealing with life without technology. The same theory applies here; Japanese people and especially men are used to near-zero unemployment; 5 percent happens and BLAM...high suicide rates and whatever this is. Not saying the economy is 100% the cause of this, but it certainly is a factor.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

No problem, as long as he isn't living in Japan.

18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

It is very cynical to be so against innocence. Look up their divorce rates, their per capita debt ratio, their suicide rates.

.....now i've been a man-w**** at several times in my past but I'll be 34 next year and had I stayed a virgin I'd have a lot more money and a lot less headaches in my past.

19. Northside Storm

i agree with you

[​IMG]

they are so innocent :(

20. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member