1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Serious] White Elephant Gift Ideas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pugsly8422, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I'll be attending my first White Elephant gift exchange this month and was hoping to get some gift ideas from some of you. The main thing is, this is not a gag-gift exchange, it is a serious exchange. The limit is $25, and it would be best if the gift is unisex, though not mandatory.

Rep for the best ideas!

A few ideas I have come up with:

1) Lottery scratch off tickets
    2) Some type of alcohol
    3) Gift cards
    4) 15 item iPod Classic Accessory Bundle
    5) Martini Glasses & Martini Book

I'd, obviously, like to get something that will be stolen/popular.

Pugs

2. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Houston Rockets Tickets. Even though they might be nose bleed seats.

3. pugsly8422

Good suggestion, it did cross my mind, but unfortunately most of the people attending the event live out of town.

Pugs

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

A 3 month Netflix membership. Should be under 25.

5. liljojo

liljojo Member

Aren't you the expert at finding amazing deals? I was fairly certain you'd be able to find $100 bills for 75% off.

But seriously: A Super Soaker. Brought one of those babies to a gift exchange once and all the guys just about killed each other trying to steal it. Pre-fill it with water for maximum entertainment.

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

The most oft stolen items at our White Elephant:

1. Lottery Tickets
    2. Wine
    3. Golf balls

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

2006 Stag's Leap Petite Syrah...all around good wine and a well recognized name.

Crystal christmas ornament from Tiffany's...I think its $25-$30. Leave it in the original box. You'll be shocked at how much people will fight over a small crystal ornament because it comes in a Tiffany's box.

The best bottle of scotch you can buy for the price.

Some kind of pretentious bottle of Vodka.

Of all the many corporate, family, and friend white elephants I have attended in the last 10 years (seriously, does it seem like it is getting over done?) the two things that people fight over the most: anything with a high end name brand, even if the item itself is inexpensive...Tiffany's, Saks, LV, etc...and liquor. Even people that don't drink tend to want nice alcohol for when they entertain.

People kind of like the various Godiva gift baskets, Starbucks cards, etc. They won't feel crappy if they end up with one...but people FIGHT over alcohol and name brand junk.

1 person likes this.
  8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

cigars, liquor, gift card.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

...well then, guess I should start attending more grown up Christmas parties.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Since we are all parents, my siblings have decided to focus our money on the nieces and nephews and go White Elephant for the adult gifts. I don't expect it to go well.

11. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

How about an apron for a girl and a wnba tickets for a guy.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

Lottery tickets?

Just wrap 2 boxes, one with something of value and one empty. Same effect no? :)

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Get a huge dildo...

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

waffle iron.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Zombie Survival Guide book
    28 Days/28 Weeks later combo DVD pack

it was a hit at my last white elephant party

1 person likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

White elephant and serious gifts are mutually exclusive terms. A "white elephant" gift is usually a gag gift or something you have lying around the house.

I think you are referring to a "Yankee Swap" (as seen on The Office).

That being said, a nice Christmas ornament is a good gift for a swapping party.

18. pugsly8422

Good ideas thus far. Yeah, maybe it should be called a Yankee Swap, like on the Office. Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring an iPod (doesn't everyone have one nowadays?).

I'm hesitant on a Netflix subscription because they may not have the right tools to use the streaming, although I guess they could order the actual dvd's. Nice idea on the Tiffany item Supermac, I never thought they had items for $25 or less! Not the kind of place I usually shop, lol. Shady....I don't think they sell boxes big enough for me, so that idea is out of the question, unfortunately. I like your idea Donny, I will definitely keep that in mind. It's too bad I just sold both of those DVD's at a garage sale for $1.50 each!

And DreamShook....there's no way I'm giving up my $3 Wal-Mart waffle iron! ;)

Pugs

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Right now on a Woot-off (woot.com), there's a set of night-vision goggles for $29.99. It doesn't exactly meet your limit, but I'd think it would be awesome for that type of party. If that doesn't work, liquor always does.

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

A silly gag gift with an bonus gift card works well in my office. Chick-Fil-A is particularly sought after.