1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Secret Service Bails Bush Boy Out Of Booze Bust

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jamcracker, Mar 1, 2001.

1. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

The AP says this happend on Sunday. Why didn't they report it until today?

March 1, 2001 | FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) --

A college student claiming to be the boyfriend of President Bush's daughter Jenna was arrested at a fraternity party and released several hours later to a man whom deputies believed to be a Secret Service agent, a sheriff said Thursday.

White House officials and Secret Service spokesman Tony Ball refused to comment. "We're not making any comments about this incident," said Noelia Rodriguez, a spokeswoman for first lady Laura Bush in Washington.

William Ashe Bridges, an 18-year-old Texas Christian University freshman, was jailed early Sunday after law officers arrested him at a house near the Fort Worth campus, Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson said.

Held at the county jail, Bridges was intoxicated and loudly insisted that he was dating Bush's daughter, Anderson said his deputies told him. When Bridges was allowed to make a phone call, he talked a few minutes and then handed the phone to a jail sergeant, who said a young woman on the line identified herself as Jenna Bush, Anderson said.

"She just asked when he could be released," Anderson said. "No one asked for any special favors whatsoever."

Bridges, who was cited for public intoxication and underage possession of alcohol, was released after four hours' detention. A black Chrevolet Suburban with Virginia license plates arrived outside, and a man came inside to pick up Bridges, Anderson said.

"The deputies didn't really believe Bridges until the black Suburban pulled up and a man came inside," said Anderson.

Jail personnel believed the man was a Secret Service agent. A deputy saw a woman in the vehicle but was not sure if it was Ms. Bush, said Anderson.

Ms. Bush, 19, is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin.

Associated Press

2. Timing

Timing Member

How is this dude a Bush boy? Stop grasping at straws PLEASE! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Relax... kids swallow quarters all the time. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel then start worrying!" -Grumpier Old Men

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

So Bill did leave his personal presidential manual behind for GW to use

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

4. Curly

Curly Member

Holy Cow!!!! A 18 year old caught sippin' on grandpas medicine! Ha...I can just see this punk now as he gets in the Sub...
    Kid: thanks guys, for a minute there, I didn't think they knew who I was, (bip) Ouch!
    SS: Shut the F'up kid.
    Kid: What the hell was (bip) DAMN, what the...(bip) OK OK OK!!!
    SS: Just sit there and shut the F'up. Don't say a word just shuuuutup.
    Kid: (whispering) damn...
    Jenna: Are you ok?
    Kid: Yea, I'm (bip) ok???
    SS: Look kid...you're about to disappear.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

5. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Timing says: "How is this dude a Bush boy? Stop grasping at straws PLEASE!"

The alliteration is too good. [​IMG]

Seriously though,

This is an AP story, not some lefty pinko BS.

A Fort Worth police sergeant talked to a woman who identified herself as Jenna Bush.

When Bridges was allowed to make a phone call, he talked a few minutes and then handed the phone to a jail sergeant, who said a young woman on the line identified herself as Jenna Bush, [Tarrant County Sheriff] Anderson said.

The cops didn't believe the Bush boy at first, but they changed their minds after the black Surburban arrived.

"The deputies didn't really believe Bridges until the black Suburban pulled up and a man came inside," said Anderson.

After the Surburban arrived, the cops thought the kid was taken away by a Secret Service man.

Jail personnel believed the man was a Secret Service agent.

Why would the Secret Service bail a TCU freshman out of jail?

Were the FW Police wrong? Why would the FW Police say the Secret Service was involved, unless they actually thought the Secret Service was involved?

[This message has been edited by jamcracker (edited March 01, 2001).]

6. Timing

Timing Member

Why would you post a title as a statement of fact when it's clearly not even insinuated in the article? Did you even READ the article? It says it was William Ashe Bridges. It says he was cited and RELEASED after 4 hours of detention. The fact that a secret service man MAY have picked him up after he was released means what?

Sounds like lefty pinko BS to me.

------------------
    "Relax... kids swallow quarters all the time. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel then start worrying!" -Grumpier Old Men

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

She skips class to much. If I knew her better I would ask her about this. I think its true.

------------------

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

It was on FOX 4 news tonight, too, here in D/FW. The FOX report said the boy was released into the cutody of the Secret Service and implied (didn't outright say, though) they let him go earlier than they would normally have had the Secret Service not become involved. But then again, Fox 4 tends to tabloidize their news broadcast.

I doubt this guy will be Jenna's boyfriend for much longer, regardless. I think Neil is the designated family embarrassment still.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

9. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

"Why would you post a title as a statement of fact when it's clearly not even insinuated in the article?"

I can't find too many media outlets with this AP/UPI story posted, but here are some headlines:

Salon.com's headline: "Friend of Jenna Bush arrested, gets a lift from Secret Service"

drudgereport.com's headline: "PARTY: Secret Service gave friend of Bush's Daughter lift from jail after boozefest... "

infospace.com's headline: "Agents help friend of Bush Daughter"

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Timing, the thing you have to understand about jamcracker is he freelances on the side by writing catchy Headlines.

for instance, he authored the great headline in the NY Post:

"Tenth Toddler Tumbles from Tenant Building Terrace"

actually, I'm lying. The headline is correct, but Jamcracker didn't author it. But, do you see the fun in the writing.

as mc mark says:

Huh?

Right.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited March 02, 2001).]

11. Curly

Curly Member

Actually....I think 4hrs is the minimum if your brought in for booze. If you don't get the overnighter, they let you go after four...if someone comes and gets you.

------------------

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Of course, the Tarrant County jail is often quite crowded. I know when I was unfortunate enough to end up there on a weekend (though not for drinking. I was there for an unpaid traffic ticket), it took all night just to process me into the system. It was nearly eight hours after I arranged for bail before they were able to complete the processing and let me go.

That was a Friday night/Saturday morning, but I doubt that Saturday night/Sunday morning is less crowded. Perhaps the Tarrant County Jail has upgraded their systems, etc. and can handle the processing faster than before.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

13. Curly

Curly Member

Yea, that could be different...mine was in League City on the way back from Mardi Gras...I wasn't driving...I didn't know you could bend stainless steel into a toilet...right out of the stainless floor?

------------------

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I was in one night in Houston. The charges (NOT drinking or traffic tickets) were dropped, but it took us over 15 hours to get out. They thought me and my buddies were someone we weren't, so I guess that is why it took so long.

------------------
    "We got f*cking smashed every day. And then when we came here to Beverly Hills, we had drugs, we had chicks, we had orgies. I thought I'd died and gone to f*cking Rome"
    ---Ozzy Osbourne, on the early days of Black Sabbath

15. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

15 hours?!? I was arrested for sexual assault involving an elderly man and I was out in 35 minutes.

------------------
    That team is not afraid of anybody in the East, and they've been playing that way -- George Karl on the Rockets.

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Don't ask me, man.Two friends and I were arrested for criminal vandalism back in the summer of '94. Once they contacted the property owners and everyone swapped stories, by the time it was all said and done with, and the charges were dropped, (I just want to make sure that gets noticed) we'd been in for over 15 hours.

------------------
    "We got f*cking smashed every day. And then when we came here to Beverly Hills, we had drugs, we had chicks, we had orgies. I thought I'd died and gone to f*cking Rome"
    ---Ozzy Osbourne, on the early days of Black Sabbath

17. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Hehehe... care to elaborate? [​IMG]

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think the bigger question here is why can't Jenna find a date in Austin and is GW gonna have a talk with his daughter about the underage boozehead she has in her life who apparently brags about it to cops of all people?

This dude has LOSER written all over him. Maybe that's the best she can do.

Surf

------------------

19. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

it just shows that preferential treatment and political power are both a republican and democrat phenomenon..you fools who think that bush will be any different when it comes to basically taking advantage of their power then you are severely mistaken..

------------------
    "no matter how good she looks someone... somewhere..is tired of her sh*t"

20. Gascon

Gascon Member

I think that was your outside voice there, Achebe. [​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.