1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Skiles Named Buck's Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by doublebogey, Apr 21, 2008.

1. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

There are a handful of teams in EC that can be .500 teams just by hiring a better coach. Bucks is one of those teams. Good hire by the Bucks.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I don't like this hiring at all. Skiles' teams always seem to get progressively good for 2 seasons, then they tank out after that, and all the players start to hate him, etc.

I'm not saying Skiles is a bad coach, but there are better coaches out there in my opinion..I'd like to see the Bucks get beyond "getting out of the gutter" and actually have success in the playoffs. Skiles is just a short fix.

3. Asian Sensation

Like who? Outside of JVG there's nobody out there that I'd want. When a team like the NY Knicks is seriously considering handing over the head coaching reigns to an unproven coach like Mark Jackson..... it speaks volumes on the lack of quality head coaches out there right now.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lol why not Isiah?

PS- Dont hurt me it was a joke! :eek:

5. Raven

Raven Member

I wonder if the Bucks sent out any feelers on JVG.

6. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Rick Carlisle comes to mind. He has a history with Hammond too, since Carlisle coached the Pistons.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I am sure there is none. Joe Dumars and his associates dont think highly of JVG.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Skiles just doesn't get how to communicate with and build long-term credibility with today's NBA players. But I guess the Bucks didn't want to hire a first time coach with no track record. Skiles has a track record, but it isn't that good.

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Why do teams continually hire guys that have been fired more than once by teams that have had above average talent on their rosters?

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Exactly sums up my feelings. They are going nowhere fast. He MAY be able to help push them into mediocrity. But will it be sustainable? Doubt it.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

They will get better but still not be very good. Skiles will grow tired of the softness of that roster and leave on bad terms. It's better than a lateral move but not much.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good short term solution.

when building up a team you need to start with a disciplinarian. get the young guys used to working hard and being held accountable.

when they mature from a young rebuilding team into a winning team it will then be time for a coaching upgrade.

for now, better to have the disciplinarian than a players coach like isaiahwho will get the team no where.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This formula sure worked great for the Bulls. Yeah right.

14. cson

cson Contributing Member

Wow I didn't know Skiles was still around the league.
    Or the Bucks for that matter.

15. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

I never understood why the Bucks let Terry Porter go after only two seasons a few years ago anyway. He got the team to overachieve to a .500 record and the playoffs in his first year as coach.

His second year the team came down to earth, but keep in mind the Bucks' third, fourth, and fifth leading scorers that year (after Redd and Mason) were Mike James, Joe Smith, and Keith Van Horn. And TJ Ford missed the entire season.

Firing Porter after only two seasons seemed like punishing him for overachieving in his first year as coach and getting expectations too high. And Terry Stotts couldn't get the team to .500 the next year even with Ford returning, the number 1 pick in the draft, and the acquisition of Bobby Simmons.

I don't know, there might be more to the situation than I realize, but Porter for Stotts seemed like a lateral coaching move at best at the time, and even moreso now.

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

The best available coach out there right now is Tom Thibodeux.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

what does Joe Dumars have to do with the Bucks?

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

NBA teams do this all the time, and it's stupid. It just happened to Skiles this year. It's proven over and over that it doesn't matter who your coach is if you don't have the players. Yet coaches continue to get replaced at the drop of a hat, most likely so the ownership doesn't have to be held accountable for the team they've assembled.