1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola's Defense - What happened?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

I like Scola. He plays the right way, is gritty, crafty and hilarious with his right hand only moves.

But what in the hell has happened to his defense? It's never been great but the last few games it looks like he is wearing cement shoes. Granted, Kenyon martin is a pretty quick or athletic 4. But if I recall correctly, Brad Miller schooled scola badly. So did atlanta's 4's. I think this has been going on for a few weeks now.

Does scola have tired legs from all the national play? I know he's not the most athletic guy, but he's not been this bad with lateral movement in the past.

Is it just me or have you guys seen Scola's defense just fall off the cliff.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

No Yao to cover up mistakes. He has been getting blown by athletic players all season long, it's the lack of a shot blocker behind him that's killing him.

3. RV6

RV6 Member

he's playing some very good 4s...there's alot of them in the NBA...

4. v3.0

v3.0 Member

if you depend on scola to protect the lane like the rockets have been doing at times, then you're in trouble...

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Team defense - what happened? Guess that's what happens when you play or attempt to play Phoenix Suns style of defense[and are missing a 7'6 guy]. I miss the defensive days of Thibodeau and JVG

6. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

I think the entire team is a bit worn just from the more uptempo style they have played this year. Then consider that most of them have never gotten this much playing time before this year. Its like they all hit the rookie wall.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In the early threads seeking nicknames for him, I wanted Sc-Ole! with an accented e... you know, like a matador. But this was not a popular suggestion. :(

8. durvasa

durvasa Member

Below average strength (notice that Adelman always puts Landry on the bulkier, more physical post players). And he also lacks the length to contest shots, which means he tends to play too close and, consequentially, players get around him more easily.

9. Obito

Obito Member

He never had a defense. Even though the effort/hustle is there every night he's just not as strong as most of the PF's in the league. Plus he doesn't have Yao to bail him out...

Man when Landry came out Birdqueer and Martin had a feast on him, poor guy..

10. durvasa

durvasa Member

I don't consider Scola a worse defender than Andersen, but does anyone else get the feeling that Andersen+Landry is a better defensive combination than Scola+Landry? Seems counter-intuitive, but those don't seem to get killed as often.

Maybe it just has to do with the strength of the competition faced.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nope. Andersen so far has been horrible defending, even worse than Scola.

12. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

Hey, Andersen got a block tonight on a play that I don't believe Scola could make even if he drunk a can of athleticism before the game.

13. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

He used 2 have yao 2 back him up that's y

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ewwwwwww.

15. TheGreatWall

TheGreatWall Member

im gunna have to agree with this post. Scolas d hasnt been great as of late. Not to mention david west lighting him up for 44 pts a couple weeks ago at toyota center

1 person likes this.
  16. choujie

choujie Member

Scola/Landry is the worst defensive combo at 4/5 you can imagine.

The lineup Scola/Landry/Budinger/Lowry/Brooks is the worst defensive lineup for Rockets. Bulls scored every trip against that one.

17. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Landry defense is horrendous and No, Scola always take the strongest guy, Landry is an awful post defender but he can stay in front of quicker one.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Well he never been good defensive player due to his size, but when he plays with yao, Yao is always behind him to cover up the basket...that's my thoughts..

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Every player looks to be on the decline defensively. Even Hayes isn't rock solid as a post defender these days. I think teams have scouted our defense and learned that it works mostly by gimmicks and high IQ and are countering that. You can't make Yao Ming not be 7'6" but you can learn not to try to face up Chuck Hayes or back him down from outside the paint. Guys are shooting hook shots and making quick moves on him now which basically negates his strength and quick hands leaving him as just another undersized Center.

It was bound to happen eventually.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Not enough flop in his sail these days.