1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sammy Sosa suspended for 8 games over corked bat

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/1940343

Cubs slugger will appeal ruling

CHICAGO -- Sammy Sosa was suspended for eight games by major league baseball today for using a corked bat.

The Cubs slugger will appeal the suspension, said Jim Hendry, the team's general manager. The appeal will make Sosa available for a four-game series against the New York Yankees.

"We support him in his appeal," Hendry said. "We have no reason to believe it was anything more than a one-time incident. We will support him and his right exercise and appeal."

The appeal had to be filed before today's game so he could play.

A piece of cork was found just above the handle in Sosa's bat Tuesday night when it shattered after he grounded out in the first inning of the Chicago Cubs' 3-2 victory. Sosa didn't deny the corked bat was his, but he said it was a batting practice bat he had grabbed by accident.

"Some punishment is in order. Hopefully, it can be reduced," Hendry said.

He noted that Sosa "has been shattering bats his whole career" and no other corked bats had been found.

Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, met with Cubs manager Dusty Baker and Hendry at Wrigley Field on Thursday, then returned to New York. Watson did not talk to Sosa.

Other players who have used corked bats have been suspended for up to 10 games. The Cubs had hoped that Sosa's cooperation, as well as the fact that no cork was found in any of his 81 bats that were checked, would work in his favor.

The Hall of Fame said Thursday that X-rays or CT scans of its five Sosa bats showed no cork or anything else that would violate baseball rules. Baseball officials didn't find anything in 76 bats confiscated from Sosa's locker after he was ejected from Tuesday night's game, either.

"The sad part about the whole thing is that he had 70-some bats and it's like you still don't believe it. That's what's unfair," Baker said. "He was wrong with that one bat. It was a bad decision."

Boston Red Sox ace Boston pitching ace Pedro Martinez came to his Dominican countryman's defense, saying the incident was being blown out of proportion because of racial bias by the media.

"If it was (Mark) McGwire, it would still be a big deal, but not like this," Martinez said. "We might be Latin and minorities, but we're not dumb. We see everything that happens."

Several other players have been caught or have admitted using a corked bat. But none has had the gaudy resume of Sosa.

In a five-year stretch from 1998-02, he hit 292 home runs. He's the only player to hit 60 or more homers in three seasons, hitting 66 in 1998, 63 in 1999 and 64 in 2001.

He's No. 17 on the career list with 505 homers. And at just 34, many believe he'll have a chance at Hank Aaron's record of 755 homers.

Sosa insists he's never done anything illegal.

"I feel very bad for having used that bat, but my conscience is clean," Sosa said Thursday. "I'm not a criminal nor someone who intended to deceive or take advantage of others."

Watson spent about two hours at Wrigley, meeting with Baker, Hendry, Cubs president Andy MacPhail and clubhouse manager Tom Hellmann, then went back to New York.

Baker said his meeting with Watson wasn't an interview so much as an explanation of what Watson was doing.

Not only is this weekend the teams' first meeting at Wrigley since the 1938 World Series, but Roger Clemens goes for his 300th career win Saturday against fellow Texan Kerry Wood. The games Saturday and Sunday will be broadcast nationally, with 90 percent of the country seeing the Clemens-Wood matchup on Fox.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Ridiculous.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The following makes no sense:

"I feel very bad for having used that bat, but my conscience is clean," Sosa said Thursday. "I'm not a criminal nor someone who intended to deceive or take advantage of others."

He admitted he used a corked bat in Home Run derbies. It sounds like he intended to deceive folks involved with that event.

4. bobrek

What's ridiculous?

The 'going rate' for illegal bat suspensions has been 7-10 games. As I recall, they did not find any other illegal bats when Hatcher was suspended and he got 10 games.

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

damn. i was hoping he wouldn't appeal so the cubs would have a lesser chance of winning the game against the yanks and the stros could get the lead in the central. sigh.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

He admits he was wrong. He admists he has used a corked bat in practice. The evidence is 100% irefutable.

Yet, he still appeals?

7. DVauthrin

It's ridiculous that MLB will allow him to appeal this suspension, Bobrek.

This isn't an offense that should ever be granted an appeal.

If he wanted to play vs the Yankees, he should have thought of that before pulling out his bat, Senor Corky.

8. Major

Major Member

It's ridiculous that MLB will allow him to appeal this suspension, Bobrek.

This isn't an offense that should ever be granted an appeal.

ALL suspensions can be appealed - that's part of the collective bargaining agreement.

9. bobrek

I see...

Unfortunately, the players association allows appeals on any find/suspension. I agree, it is ridiculous that given the facts and the admittance an appeal should not be necessary.

We will wait to see if they reduce the suspension as they do in many non-starting-pitcher related appeals. Hopefully, they will stick to 8 games.

10. DVauthrin

Major,

Fine he can appeal it, but Watson should reject it right now and he should sit out his games immediately.

He cheated, this isnt a suspension for a fight, he deserves nothing. No appeal, nada.

Bobrek,

It's pathetic that miguel batista got more games for his role in a fight than Sosa did for cheating.

Yes you can say pitchers have to have longer suspensions because they pitch once every 5 days, but this was a chance to take a stand, and as usual commissioner Bud blew it.

11. Major

Major Member

Fine he can appeal it, but Watson should reject it right now and he should sit out his games immediately.

He cheated, this isnt a suspension for a fight, he deserves nothing. No appeal, nada.

That's not how appeals work. You have to hear the evidence and then they can reject it. If MLB could just reject the appeal outright, it wouldn't actually be an appeal. That would be a violation of the labor agreement. I'm not sure how appeals are scheduled, but the player has influence over it to have time to prepare the appeal / evidence.

It doesn't matter that he cheated - he's not appealing the suspension, but the length of the suspension.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He KNEW it was illegal, and he KNEW what he was doing.

He only had one corked bat and he decided to try to get an advantage with it.

Trust me, a corked bat is a LOT lighter then the normal bat he uses, and I refuse to believe that he did not notice the difference.

He was caught red handed, he needs to do the time.

DD

13. Rockets34Legend

And this is just bad timing...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0605/1563893.html

Sosa to be honored for 500th homer at Wrigley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Several Illinois congressmen are expected to visit Wrigley Field on Friday to honor Sammy Sosa, even though the star is facing a suspension for playing with a juiced bat.

The U.S. House voted 372-0 Monday to congratulate the Chicago Cubs slugger on his 500th home run and praise him as a role model. Friday's ceremony is to present him with a copy of the House resolution.

A day after the House vote, Sosa was found to be hitting with an illegal bat.

Sosa said he used the corked bat by accident, and tests of the remaining bats in his locker -- as well as the five he'd given the Baseball Hall of Fame -- came up clean.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., who sponsored the House resolution, said Thursday he never considered canceling the Friday event.

Had another corked bat been found in Sosa's locker, however, Gutierrez would've taken a different approach.

"I would have rolled up the resolution and sent it to him in the mail,'' he said.

Gutierrez, who represents a largely Hispanic district on Chicago's Northwest Side, said he expects several of his colleagues to be at Wrigley to join in honoring Sosa, including Rep. Bill Lipinski, a die-hard Chicago White Sox fan.

Lipinski declined to join those who would criticize Sosa.

"The poor Cubs have had enough trouble over the course of the years. I don't have to heap any more problems upon them,'' Lipinski said.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm glad McGwire beat him in '98. Imagine the fiasco if Sosa had the single-season homer record, and this happened.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

How will he mentally react to the away crowds chanting...

Corky...Corky...Corky...Corky...Corky...

16. Rockets34Legend

I love these Late Night gimmicks of Sosa:

Letterman's Top Ten last night was: "Top Ten Sammy Sosa Explanations":

10) "My mind was clouded by the anabolic steroids."
    9) "Damn al Qaeda."
    8) "I may be a strong guy, but those bats is heavy."
    7) "I wanted to catch the premiere of 'American Juniors' - man those kids can sing!"
    6) "Hans Blix checked my bat for three months without finding any cork."
    5)"Wanted to do something to take the heat off my girlfriend, Martha Stewart."
    4) "Threat of rain necessitated a more buoyant bat."
    3) "If you hit home runs you get paid $20M a year, dumb ass."
    2) "I was punk'd."
    1) "Pete Rose bet me I wouldn’t do it."

More Dave: "Here’s what Sammy Sosa had done. He had hollowed out the bat and it was filled with cork; also Styrofoam and ground-up bits of rubber balls. It’s the same way they make their hot dogs in Chicago."

--

Kilborn: "Sammy Sosa got in big trouble when his bat broke and cork popped out of the bat. The Cubs were confused. They’ve never seen a cork popped before."

--

Leno: "MLB is really shocked. They said players should only hit home runs the old-fashioned way: while on steroids. Sammy said it wasn’t his bat. He claims he grabbed the wrong piece of wood in the dugout. Wasn’t that Mike Piazza’s excuse?"

"Thoroughbred racing experts say that if Funny Cide wins the Triple Crown this weekend on NBC, that he will become the biggest-earning gelding of all time. Up to now, the biggest payday for a gelding was when David Gest married Liza Minelli."

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

LOL...Thanks nWo34Life. I wanted to hear what Dave's top 10 would be but ...zzzzz.

18. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

It is ridiculi.

He said before he would take any suspension levied on him Tuesday night, and now he is appealing? What a lying *******.

19. SLA

SLA Member

Well...now the Astros can go to the top!

Well I think the suspension was fair. 8 games isn't too bad.

And he shouldn't appeal.

It's good that they checked all the other bats and they were not corked. So that means he wasn't lying...amazing...and still kinda has a reputation.

Oh yeah....he was doing pretty bad anyways!

Hmm...and whoever replaces Sosa might have a breakout season!

Well...I don't really know much about baseball.
    But tonight's Astros game was a great comeback!
    And Billy Wagner is an awesome closer!!!! Nobody can hit his 100mph pitches!!!!!!

The bats that he used to hit the big homeruns were legal bats. Oh well! Weird......

#19 SLA, Jun 6, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2003
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't know...can anyone strike out more times than that guy in the past couple of weeks?