1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Salt Lake Tribune] Utah aims to force McGrady into jumpers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Apr 19, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Jazz Notes
    Utah Jazz: Utah aims to force McGrady into jumpers
    By Ross Siler
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 04/19/2008 03:11:20 AM MDT

They tried to disrupt him with long-armed defenders Andrei Kirilenko and Ronnie Brewer. They ran a second defender in his direction whenever he caught and held the ball. They rotated to cover his teammates as sharply and smartly as they could after that.
    As they prepare to open the playoffs against Houston tonight, the Jazz appeared to tip their hand for how they will try to slow Tracy McGrady in Monday's 105-96 victory over the Rockets, a game in which McGrady scored 22 points but hit 7 of 21 shots from the field.
    "I definitely think we've got to pay a lot of attention to T-Mac and not letting him get in the lane,'' Deron Williams said.
    "We made him settle for a lot of jumpers just because we used some long guys on him. We brought help and then we rotated pretty well. We gave up a couple threes, but we tried to limit those."
    Whether it's the product of his recent shoulder injury or not, McGrady has struggled with his shooting in recent games. He made 37.5 percent of his shots in April and went 14-for-50 in the Rockets' final three regular-season games.

Williams update

Williams reported improvement in his bruised backside Friday and is expected to play regular minutes against the Rockets. He sat out the second half of Wednesday's loss to San Antonio to not aggravate the injury. "I can't feel it when I'm just walking around,'' Williams said. "It doesn't hurt when I walk around. It's when I cut and stuff."
    He struggled to keep up with Tony Parker in Wednesday's game and Houston's Bobby Jackson before that.

Tough crowd

Both Williams and Carlos Boozer were asked about radio comments ESPN's Ric Bucher made describing the Jazz's Mormon fans as "vicious" because they have to "smile and be happy" the rest of the time.
    "I'm glad they're mean for whatever reason they're mean for," Williams said.
    The Jazz were an NBA-best 37-4 at home this season.

rsiler@sltrib.com

2. Deep Six Bomber

And the news is....

3. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I guess they have us figured out. I'd do the same if I was them.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It is easy, everytime when you have a great scorer in front of you, you try to make him a jumpshooter, you don't wanna give him easy poinst inside, you just have to make him go to work.

And of course jumpers are really important in T-Mac's game, not only his. He can be agressive, but when he gets it going from the outside that opens up a lot of new things. So I'm glad he's been working on his arch on the jumpshot and hopefully it really 'worked' and will work during playoffs.

I'm sure McGrady knows they want to make him a jumpshoter. But he also knows he has to be so agressive, he has to drive, put the pressure on the defense. Nothing's gonna be easy but one important thing - stay agressive.

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

McGrady already *wants* to just shoot jumpers ....

6. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Haha but hey considering that our 7ft 6' 330 lbs Center likes to shoot FADEAWAY jumpers!! a shooting guard actually wanting shoot jumpers is not THAT shocking.