1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Salt Lake Tribune] Ask the Expert: Could Utah make it past Houston in a first-round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Member

article link

Ask the Expert: Could Utah make it past Houston in a first-round playoff matchup?

By Steve Luhm
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Launched: 09/24/2008 04:58:27 PM MDT

Question: Do you think the Jazz can make it out of the first round of the playoffs if they meet Houston again? The Rockets got much deeper by adding Ron Artest.
    - Robb Hayes

Answer: If both teams stay healthy, I believe the Jazz and Rockets are legitimate threats to reach the Western Conference finals.
    I am not suggesting Utah and Houston are better than the Lakers, Spurs, Suns, Hornets or Portland, which I think will jump into playoff contention this season.
    I am suggesting the Jazz and Rockets are talented enough to belong in any discussion about Western Conference finalists and, with a break or two, could win a championship.
    Specifically, the question is whether the Jazz or Rockets would win another first-round playoff series between the two teams?
    That's a tough one.
    Once again, I think there will be tremendous pressure on Tracy McGrady to get the Rockets out of the first round, which he has never done.
    I believe that is one factor in Utah's favor.
    Until something is done about the Rockets' point guard situation, I also think the presence of Deron Williams gives the Jazz an edge.
    Don't get me wrong.
    Rafer Alston is coming off a terrific season. He averaged 13.1 points and 5.3 assists.
    I have always liked his fearlessness, not to mention - as an aside - his cooperative attitude with the media.
    Williams continues to emerge as one of the NBA's best point guards, however, and there is little reason to think that his growth won't continue.
    Back to the Rockets.
    To me, Houston looks like a 50- or 55-win team.
    The acquisition of the baggage-toting Ron Artest improves the Rockets, at least on paper. He can score and defend as well as almost any small forward in the NBA. Of course, he must remain focused on his job and not create the kind of situations that contributed to his departure in Chicago, Indiana and Sacramento.
    Is that possible for Artest?
    Time will tell.
    Beyond Artest, the Rockets' 1-2 punch remains the same. Yao Ming and McGrady remain two of the top 10 players in the league. They are capable of scoring 40 points against any opponent on any night. Presumably, both will benefit from the attention opposing defenses will have to pay to Artest. But they must also stay healthy.
    In the last three seasons, Yao has played 48, 57 and 55 games. Meanwhile, McGrady has missed 81 games in the last five years, and he has never played 80 games in a season during his 11-year career.
    Yao and McGrady must stay on the court for Houston to contend and, at this point, a fair question can be asked: Is that possible?
    On a positive note, I love the Rockets' depth - especially if they can re-sign Carl Landry - and I think Rick Adelman is one of the best (and most underrated) coaches in NBA history.
    The acquisition of Brent Barry gives the Rockets another long-range shooter to go with Shane Battier and McGrady. In Houston, Barry will do exactly what he did in San Antonio for the past four years: spread the floor, keep the defense off his team's top scorers and bury clutch three-pointers to win important games.
    With the arrival of Artest and the improvement of Luis Scola, Battier might be asked to be the back-up at small forward and power forward. His long-range shooting, defensive ability and professional approach to his job make him the perfect candidate to excel in both situations.
    Landry will also demand playing time, if he agrees to a new contract. Unsigned so far, his agent called the Rockets' latest offer "disturbing and confusing." But I'm guessing Landry will end up signing for a nice raise and be a big part of the Rockets' success. Personally, I love his game. He reminds me of Paul Millsap, with more offensive polish and a little better feel for what's going on around him.
    Bottom-line?
    If the Jazz and Rockets (as currently constructed) meet in the first round of the 2009 playoffs and both are healthy, I'd take Utah in seven grueling games.

Too much Deron Williams.
    Too much trouble finding somebody Yao can guard.
    Too much pressure on McGrady to get to the second round.
    Too much reliance on Artest, who has imploded more than once.
    That said, it would be a wonderful series to watch and cover. Either team could win, every possession would be important and the players on both teams know the winner could go much deeper in the playoffs if they survive.

-----
    Do you all agree with this bull? Of course I don't...

2. eyhab27

eyhab27 Member

eff the jazz. i am really surprised he has so many nice things to say about the Rockets.

3. Shay

Shay Member

In 2007 with everybody healthy we lost only in the last minutes of game 7.

Since then they added Kyle Korver ,Brevin Knight and replaced Fisher with Brewer.
    But Williams and probably Milsap have improved from then.

We added Scola , Artest , Landry , Barry and Brooks.

Head and Hayes who were important players in that series won't even crack the rotation.

If healthy we gonna win imo , we added an all star caliber player , moved a very good starter in Shane to the bench , replaced an old Juwan with a young Landry and we still have Dorsey and Hayes for insurance , and replaced Head with Barry.
    Our pg position is still weak.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

This article is ridiculous. You don't need to know it was written by Utah's writer because it is simple. He favours the Jazz in every category which for me is unbelivable. Thinking this way McGrady, Yao and Ron are nobody...

Just stupid article for stupid Utah's fans. I'd take Rockets in 6-7 games even without Artest. But with him Rockets' win in 5-6 games is a reality for me. Of course they must be 100 %

5. ccjj

ccjj Member

Meaningless. What do you think a Utah newspaper will write about a Utah team?

6. Yak

Yak Member

Of course he will say Jazz...he's writing for the SALT LAKE TRIBUNE.

He does make some good points, but none that we haven't heard before.

If they stay healthy...

If McGrady can handle the pressure...

If Artest doesn't blow-up...

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Member

If not for Rafer's injury, the Rockets would have beaten the Jazz last season despite Yao's absence and McGrady and Battier needing surgery. THERE IS NO WAY the Jazz can beat them if they're healthy.

8. Kim

Kim Member

I actually read the article and I thought it was well thought out and pretty decent for a sports article. The guy actually heaped a bunch of praise on the Rockets.

this part should have been bolded:
    Seriously, it could have been much worse. We've all read much worse biases in writing.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Agreed, but I do think he was looking through rose-colored glasses about everything on the Jazz but Deron Williams.

10. sammy

sammy Member

The expert believes we r a 50-55 win team this yr. Someone should point out to this dorkus that we won 55 games last season with Yao out for about 30 games. If healthy, we should have our first 60 win season.

11. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Rafer < Deron
    T-Mac > Brewer
    Artest > Cryalinko
    Scola = Boozer (Boozer doesn't play well when he has to defend a legit offensive threat, See Scola and Odom)
    Yao > Okur

The only advantage they have is at PG.

He's also forgetting the biggest reason why the Jazz won..... Luther Head(seriously, it felt like we were playing 4 on 6 with him out there). The additions we made in Artest and Barry will push Head further into the bench and hopefully off the playoff roster.

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

people still think Ron will destroy our chemistry...

13. durvasa

durvasa Member

I guess he's counting on us not being healthy, and who can blame him? Tracy, Yao, and Ron aren't getting any younger.

14. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Member

Hopefully Artest can help slow Deron down...if that happens, they have no shot.

15. redao

redao Member

PG for a team is motor for a car.

Utah is better because they got an elite PG, the most important position on the court.

Rockets need best luck to past the 1st round no matter who is the opponent.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

And neither is the bad refereeing trends and cheap plays. Lets not forget "Stern" vows to put some effort into fixing the refereeing and flops. If that is the case, we're looking to win at least 1 game from that. Lets not forget the AK47 arm pulling technique on bothScola and McGrady that almost cost us a game.

Still, the writer did give props, and made reasonable points. However, it was obvious that he was being bias in a less obvious biasm. You cannot count on a team losing because McGrady is pressured to enter the second round. McGrady has already experienced worse pressure than that the last 2 years. Not to mention, who says we're relying on Artest? We have Yao, Barry, McGrady, possibly landry, scola and even alston. Artest is an addition, not a key piece that cannot go missing.

Also, he mentioned too much williams. What about too much Yao, Landry, McGrady and Artest? McGrady we know for sure now they have a lot more trouble guarding since we have 2 other destructive players in the lineup. Artest we know for sure because they don't have anyone who can guard his size and strength.

Alston did a good job on Deron, and although I'm not counting on Brooks and Francis, I still see them creating a lot of pressure on Deron's defensive and offensive skills. IF Deron is the only PROPER reason why Jazz will win, then the writer fails.

17. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

the only way we will meet Utah in the first round again this year is if they end up being 7th seed.

18. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

Utah need a scoring PG we don't more and more Alston is becoming a better fit for this team with the addition of stars around his passing game.

19. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Member

The article didn't bother me much actually. I mean, the guy does write for the Salt Lake Tribune. He also gave a ton of credit to Rafer which surprised me.

I don't buy now, and I never have, the whole pressure on McGrady thing. I don't think that plays much of a role actually.

Everybody is wondering what will happen with Artest and team chemistry. Lets be honest, it is a fair question.

Also, he brings up one very important point, that we tend to ignore. Who does Yao guard? He isn't quick enough to check Boozer, and he can't come all the way out to the 3pt line to guard Okur. That was exposed pretty badly 2 years ago. Still, I thought 2 years ago that Yao wasn't all the way back from his injury so that could have explained his lack of domination on offense. If Yao is healthy he can dominate the Jazzhole frontline on offense which mitigates alot of his defensive shortcomings vs the unique Jazz offense (meaning the jumpshooting, driving PF with a long-range bombing center). If Yao can't dominiate on offense, well, then, we would have a some issues with what to do with Yao. A good example is what Yao does to the Warriors. If he is crushing on offense, we don't mind their guys hitting a 3 every now and then.

One thing we learned last year though is that Boozer wilts against aggressive, smart, quick defenders like the PF combo that we can throw at him. He sucked against the Rox last year.

Deron is a major problem though. Man, that guy is really, really good. Still I think with the addition of Artest, a great bench, and a healthy Yao/Mac we win in 6.

20. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

He did give the Rockets some praise but the guy has to save face, of coarse he has to pick the Jazz or they'll run him out of town.

Personally, the Rockets have too much power and are too deep.
    Jazz done in 5!